SHOULD I THROW MY WIGS AWAY?

TRINITY05

I went natural 3 yrs ago, but I was wearing wigs 90% of the time. I decided 2 months ago that I wanted to start wearing my own hair, so after getting so many tips on this site I decided to try the twistouts.

Since wearing the twistouts, my co-workers are constantly telling me how much better my natural hair looks and that the wigs make me look 10 yrs older. My husband was also happy and told me I should just throw all my wigs away. Personally, I like wearing my natural hair in twistouts and I am also thinking twice about getting rid of my wigs because they come in handy when you need a quick hairstyle.

I wouldn't sometimes you fall for them again later on. I put my Ponies up and take them out later to rock them and wonder why I put them away.

Save your favorites for the rainy day, any that is overly tattered give those the boot!

I agree. Keep em as long as they arent tattered. We all have those days of hair not cooperating or needing something for a quick trip.

You also might want to see if you can get them styled into something a little more flattering to your face

I wouldn't sometimes you fooall for them again later on. I put my Ponies up and take them out later to rock them and wonder why I put them away.

Save your favorites for the rainy day, any that is overly tattered give those the boot!

good advice.

I think for some reason I have a hard time tossing them. I'm not sure why. Maybe because some of them I really loved. Maybe it feels like a waste?

think I need help...

I sold some of my old wigs on ebay. I had a lot that were barely worn. If they are in good shape people will buy them.

@bosinse
I agree, you should definitely just sell the ones that aren't your favorite or give them to fam that wants them and keep your favorites for a rainy day.

@trinity
But I def know your hesitation, I have some old almost perfect and equally old but tattered ones that i still keep in a box despite not having worn them for a year or more because I just feel wasteful if I throw them away, I mean, I've heard you can straighten them and revive them with hot water so I know they aren't useless...but maybe I should get rid of them or fix them and give them away.

If ppl are telling you that your wigs make you look 10 yrs older than idk that to me would make me go hmmmm..and your husband is a fan of your natural hair that would also influence my choice to wear your own hair..

not sayn throw them all away but if youve been wearing them for yrs it maybe time to take a break for a few...and enjoy your hair ;o)

Do what you want to do...... but if you are having such a positve reactions to the new style then KEEP it!:grin:

I'm just curious, what were the styles, color, and length of your previous wigs?

You could always buy a wig style that is simlar to your natual texture or twists, if you want a break.

If you do throw them away donate them instead. I have done so twice, once to a children's theater and once to a program that gets black women back on their feet after a set back. Both were super grateful and I had thought that no one would want them but the theater director was so very happy she said no matter what shape they were in if they were clean they would get used.

Back