Should I try again...?

zzirvingj

I want my hair colored so bad...

Back in April my stylist tried to color it but the color didn't "take". I ended up in the salon for 7 hours with hair that is still virtually black after having been bleached twice in one day :blush:

My stylist said that since I had been dying my greys black previously, that I likely won't be able to color my hair any lighter. Last time I colored my greys was November last year. She said only the new hair would take to the bleaching process, and that if I really wanted to go lighter, I'd have to grow my hair out and no color the greys anymore.

Does this seem right? I want to try coloring my hair again but I don't want to ask for trouble...I feel like I can't be the only person that used to color my greys who then decided later on to want to lighten their hair.

Thoughts?

genesislocks

Hmm I'm no expert when it comes to color, but it doesn't sound right to me. I got my hair colored for the first time in march, and the stylist mentioned that since I "henna'd" my hair that the dye would not take. Well it did, and I didn't even bleach it. However, my hair is more porous, so my guess is that maybe your hair has a lower porosity. Either way, it wouldnt hurt to get a second opinion from another stylist

Tiye

Everyone's hair is different. It could be that you have resistant hair and it's known that gray hair is more resistant than regular hair. It sounds like you'd have to exposure your hair to stronger chemicals to go lighter and that's not worth the risk for something that might not work anyway. Why not try henna? You can make most shades of red, brown and even gold with the right mix of herbs.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I would seek advice from a professional colorist- not a stylist. I'm sure they will have experience and know what to do.