SL to APL in 10 months???

• Yes

Votes: 101 93.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

luckiestdestiny

Depending on your height: and also how you're eating, etc you should be able to do it in 1/3 the time, or if you're a slow grower in about 6-7 months? By 10-12 if you're a super slow grower. But YES it's more than doable in that amount of time.

KrystalClear

I believe it is. I can't save I've done it. But bunning is a great way to retain length. Plus drinking lots of water, getting enough sleep etc. You get the point lol

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
It's definitely doable. :yep:

This was my hair in April 2009:

And this was it a few days ago:

It's not full, but oh well, I'm claiming it. :look:

Anyway, from April to August, I was not really practicing good hair care. No scarf on my head, letting stylists be all up and through it handling it roughly, not washing or DCing enough, wearing it out every day, no protein...just all kinds of tromfoolery. :nono:
If I had been serious from the jump, I might have made it sooner, even with my slow hair growth.

I noticed that my hair did much better with protective styling, baggying, and dusting as needed. When I was wearing my hair out all the time, and it didn't move from my shoulders. Once I started really babying my ends, they stopped breaking off, and I finally started retaining length.
And of course, carefully monitoring protein, moisture and porosity is key.

You can do it, Stella! :yep:

MilaXs3

I did it in less time (see my siggy, I was a little past neck length in April and grazing APL in December)...I am now APL and did it by protective styling 95% of the time, little to no direct heat and co-washing daily! HHG!!

Last edited:

lilsparkle825

i did it...grazing SL in june 2008 to touching APL in april 2009. my sister went from NL to APL in 10 months (july 2008 to may 2009).

my secret was moisture moisture moisture from cowashing and DCing...protective styling with senegalese twists helped me get over that last inch or two...and my sister's was plain protective styling. she has worn her hair in braids or twists with extensions about 95% of the time since she's been natural (she did two-strand twists last summer for a short and has gotten her hair straightened twice in 2010) -- keeps em in for 6-8 weeks, removes them to detangle and wash/DC, then i redo them.

i started trimming, and twice i trimmed back to SL...so i have been no longer than APL since. to get over that, i started protective styling 100% of the time (basically following my sister's regimen) on january 1, 2010. i will see if i have hit BSL in june, and so far i am very very close.

Vintageglam

Bumping for all the SL ladies who hope to be APL by Dec out there......... :yep:

And thank you to all the lovely ladies who have contributed to this thread !!! :thankyou: :kiss:

keysha1983

I am right in the mix with you. Just broke down and got a relaxer yesterday. My hair is in layers in am SL. Hoping to be APL by December. Plan on bunning and wiggin it until July. Than after July I will bun some more. :(

Bluetopia

I totally agree that you can do it in less time.

I was on a longterm stretch and my hair was hidden in braids etc for the last 3 months of my stretch so I can't say for sure when I hit APL during those 10months. But by the time I texturized and length checked at month 10 I was there and then some.

I have a long torso tho (as friends have not so subtley pointed out :rolleyes:) so I may not be the best person to go by unless you're similarly built.

ms.blue

I think height should be factored into this. I did SL to APL in 10 months.

But I'm 5'8 1/2 and my hair grows a half an inch a month.

Someone shorter (esp with a faster growth rate) could do it sooner

Someone taller with the same growth rate could take longer

etc, etc, etc

but yeah it's possible cause I did it :yep:
I'm also 5'8.5 & that I believe that height also plays a factor. Right now my hair is about 12" & I just made to apl but to be full apl especially in the front & crown I'll need to grow about 4-6 (maybe). The sides are are almost there (i have a big head & proud of it:grin:)
You can get there w/ patience.

Last edited:

Foufie

I just recently reached the topof my shoulder could still be NL i guess. That is why i wanted to say how very grateful i am for all you ladies with your honest responses.I have much hope. I am getting my braids installed tomorrow!

naturalpride

It took me 6 months to go from full shoulder length to APL when my hair is wet, but when it's dry I'm a little above APL so I'm not claiming it yet.

Janet'

I've been on a rollersetting/bunning challenge. I started a couple of inches past shoulder length and I hope to be APL by July 10...Thanks OP for starting this thread...You are giving me hope!

4evershika

Great thread! I'm also hoping to make APL by december... I'm about 4 inches from APL and right about now I'm bunning like mad...

Solitude

ummmmm.......it depends on what people define as "shoulder length" I went from neck length to shoulder length, then from true shoulder length to APL. It took over a year to go from SL to APL.

However, when I see some people claim fast growth from shoulder length to APL, they actually started out below shoulder length, so they didn't have as far to go as I did.

ETA: As long as my hair is full (thick), and strong, and my ends and overall hair are healthy, I don't focus too much on how fast I attain my length goals anymore.

Last edited:

Vintageglam

ummmmm.......it depends on what people define as "shoulder length" I went from neck length to shoulder length, then from true shoulder length to APL. It took over a year to go from SL to APL.

However, when I see some people claim fast growth from shoulder length to APL, they actually started out below shoulder length, so they didn't have as far to go as I did.

ETA: As long as my hair is full (thick), and strong, and my ends and overall hair are healthy, I don't focus too much on how fast I attain my length goals anymore.

This is what I mean:

LHCF Disclaimer: please excuse my DCing t-shirt and slight rough hair just before I DC'd. (picture taken early Feb)

sharifeh

I just want to clarify that it's not about height it's about torso length. There's a thread on here where a handful of us measure from shoulder to waist. I'm not tall and I was 14.5 inches from shoulder to waist. There were some tall ladies that had a shorter torso length than the shorties. just saying. :look:

Vintageglam

^^^ Thanks Sharifeh. I am what I feel is average height but most women regard as tall at just under 5' 8". I would say that I am proportionally balanced so I'd say I would have about 16 - 17" to waist length.

How tall are you btw?

GeauXavi

I think height should be factored into this. I did SL to APL in 10 months.

But I'm 5'8 1/2 and my hair grows a half an inch a month.

Someone shorter (esp with a faster growth rate) could do it sooner

Someone taller with the same growth rate could take longer

etc, etc, etc

but yeah it's possible cause I did it :yep:

Exactly! I'm 5'2...I have made it from NL to APL w/in a year...

naturalgyrl5199

See my siggy too! Best tip for shoulder length (imo) is to wear it UP as often as possible :yep:

ITA...I got to APL in 6 months, and like full APL in about 9-10....But YES!!!! You MUST MUST MUST keep it up and the ends protected during this very critical growth phase (SL-->APL)....I was wearing sew-ins on and off the entire time so my hair was braided down, and I washed with Joico Kpax Shampoo and Conditioner to keep it strengthened....
I had a few split ends when I wore it out in between so I bought this Joico Split End Mender which helped tremendously....I recently Bought HE LTR Leave in condish for Split Ends....and it protects the hair from all that shoulder and back rubbing against clothes......:yep:

ms.blue

I just want to clarify that it's not about height it's about torso length. There's a thread on here where a handful of us measure from shoulder to waist. I'm not tall and I was 14.5 inches from shoulder to waist. There were some tall ladies that had a shorter torso length than the shorties. just saying. :look:[/QUOTE
That is true b/c I knew this girl that we were the same height but when we sat down I was taller. That is when I realized that I had long torso. I could only imagine how long it would take to get to mbl or wl.

SweetCaramel1

oh yeah, it can be done. i'm one of those weird people with about 4 inches from should to armpit, but forever to waistlength. everyone's different but you can get about 5 inches in a year so this can definitely be done.

Vintageglam

oh yeah, it can be done. i'm one of those weird people with about 4 inches from should to armpit, but forever to waistlength. everyone's different but you can get about 5 inches in a year so this can definitely be done.

I can totally relate to what you are saying as I have 7 inches to APL and then say another 2 -3 inches to BSL and then the stakes go up heavily again to WL.

I think this is probably the defining factor i.e. the fact that our bodies are all built diff so the measurements are not a cookie cutter exact science all the time. :lol:

CrissieD

I cut my hair to sl in November and it's back to apl already. Protective styling works for me. Hopefully I will be mbl by this time next year.

sharifeh

^^^ Thanks Sharifeh. I am what I feel is average height but most women regard as tall at just under 5' 8". I would say that I am proportionally balanced so I'd say I would have about 16 - 17" to waist length.

How tall are you btw?

I'm 5'5.....

GreenD

I hope it's doable because the last time I did a length check I'd be full APL by July/Aug. which would make the 7-8 month mark. I'm full SL but btwn that and APL. So we shall see!!!

I agree that PS'ing is probably the best to ensure getting there within a year's time. I've heard it's the hardest goal to make, and your ends should definitely be up and out of the way.

CrissieD

For me shoulder length to APL is always pretty easy. APL to BSL is a KILLER. I think the ladies are all right it just depends on how your body is proportioned:yep: HHG Ladies