Shoulder Length 2012 Challenge

xu93texas

Checking in; I've been in kinky twists for a week. I plan to keep these in for 6 or 7 more weeks. We'll see. I like these kinky twists, however, the ladies who did my hair, did it too tight and I won't be going back (even though they did a great job).
I did find someone who has committed to do my hair as well as my daughter's hair this year. We will both be protective styling for the long haul. DD just got box braids installed yesterday and I plan to get a sew in after taking these out. This young lady does it all (kinky twists, sew-ins, quick weave wigs, tree braids, box braids, flat twists, cornrows, etc. :grin:) I met her at the local beauty school when I went there to get my hair and dd hair cornrowed last month. ( I know, it's a shame I can't braid at all; I'm style challenged):nono: Anyhoo, she just did a BC and we got to talking about wigs/weaves and healthy hair care and she offered to do our hair from her home on her days off. What a blessing!! So I'm excited about all the possibilities for 2012 and reaching shoulder length. Maybe this will help me to successfully transition to natural by keeping my hair hidden and keeping my hands out of my hair.:yep:

Last edited:

PoisedNPolished

....BUMPPPPP..... I think I might put my box braids back in. I have been wearing this u-part wig but I don't want to keep putting heat on this small leave out. Even once every 7-10 days is too much for me.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
....BUMPPPPP..... I think I might put my box braids back in. I have been wearing this u-part wig but I don't want to keep putting heat on this small leave out. Even once every 7-10 days is too much for me.

I feel your pain. I was wearing a half wig for a week but got tired of flat ironing the front of my hair. I am now in box braids until mid February. :yep:

PoisedNPolished

Exactly. I have a list of products on my phone that I need. I'm really obsessing I want to hit FULL shoulder this year. It's more than possible! Good luck ladies! Hope everyone is loving on their hair!

sunshine2287

What is your current length? Neck length

What is your goal date to make Shoulder length? December 2012

Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed,transitioning (state the date you plan to BC), other? Relaxed

What is your plans on obtaining shoulder length? Protective styling, deep conditioning, moisturizing and sealing

What is your ultimate goal length? BSL

Danewshe

I think I've graduated. I knew I was pretty close, but i had up to 2 inches of damaged hair and planned to cut it all of in one go but chickened out lol. I now plan to cut 1/4 to .5 inches per month and since my hair grows around .4" per month, in theory my hair should remain at this length until all the damage has been clipped away.

Wishing everyone the best of luck on your journey.

Aggie

I used Chicoro's moisture-drenched prepoo today:lick::love:. I Clarifyed with Avalon Organics Rosemary, Mint and Tea Tree Shampoo, poured some black tea rinse over my wet hair then deep conditioned my hair today using Moroccanoil products. My hair feels awesome right now, and by awesome, I mean soft, silky and strong. You can't get any better than that.

Now back to my wigs:grin:.

Niknak20

I think I've graduated. I knew I was pretty close, but i had up to 2 inches of damaged hair and planned to cut it all of in one go but chickened out lol. I now plan to cut 1/4 to .5 inches per month and since my hair grows around .4" per month, in theory my hair should remain at this length until all the damage has been clipped away.

Wishing everyone the best of luck on your journey.

Congrats on your success!!!

30something

how do you post pics?

@ladyscorpian14 Go to Advance Reply in the Message box look for a black paper clip image should highlight as 'attachments' click it and upload the file from your computer. You can also upload it from a photo hosting website like tiny pic or photo bucket. Just copy and paste the URL of the photo from the photo hosting website.(think thats how it works...). If you are using a hosting website they usually allow you to crop it or resize it... I don't know how cropping and resizing that works here..

30something

My longest layer is maybe 1/2 inch - 1 inches away from SHL but I won't be claiming until my layers that are higher up reach my shoulders. The bulk of my hair is really sitting at my ear - chin which kind of shows in photo...hopefully in the next 3-6 months maybe those layers will reach the bottom of my neck. I hope these funky layers will start blending and behaving the same. Unfortunately my hair grows slow thanks to genetics.

I'm so excited I can actually complete a hair length challenge for the first time :rolleyes: .. don't want to speak too soon...

Attachments

• IMAG0522photobucket.jpg
    IMAG0522photobucket.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG0525-2photobucket.jpg
    IMAG0525-2photobucket.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 30

Nylund

Checking in. Just got my hair done at the salon. This was my first trim by my stylist, and she did a great job. She only cut maybe an 1/8th - 1/4 of an inch, thank goodness. And she said my hair is doing well with my Wen regimen. I love Wen Six Thirteen - it's expensive as heck ($61 for 32 ounces), but I use it as a shampoo, conditioner, and deep conditioner. It leaves my hair so soft. I've slowed down on using my growth aid, Hair Trigger, because it's so thick. I think once I finish this bottle I'll order the "light" formula. Hope everyone is doing well.

jcdlox

checking in.... just got my relaxer touch up on Saturday with no trim and I swear I'm already feeling new growth! Wish I knew why the back grows faster than the sides but any growth is good. Wrapping my hair and keep it low manipulation styled for retention.

Aggie

Checking in...Need a deep conditioning treatment today but haven't decided what I'll be using as yet.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
I'm still around...quiet...but still here.

I'm about 15 weeks into my transition and I've had my box braids for 3 weeks now. So far my transition has been super easy. Oddly enough, I'm not missing my hair at all. When my box braids are out in the next 3-5 weeks, I plan on getting a sew-in.

Ta ta for now...

Aggie

Update:

I have my sulfur/jbco mix on my scalp and over that is Chicoro's moisture-drenched prepoo which I will be keeping on my hair for about 1-2 hours. I will follow up with a mild shampoo - possibly KeraCare Hydrating and Detangling shampoo.

Then I will pour some Black tea/caffeine powder rinse over my hair and scalp, massage for a few minutes and on top of that I will add a deep protien treatment (KeraCare Restorative Mask) for 20 minutes. I will deep moisture condition with KeraCare Creme Humecto.

I want to also do the LOC (liquid, oil,cream) method for moisturizing and sealing. After that, I will GHE baggy overnight with this so my hair should be super happy in the morning

mallysmommy

Update: I took out my 2 month old micro braids, was trying to get to february but i couldnt take it anymore and of course i did a length check.
I am definately making progress however i am changing my goal date to december instead of april. The hair at the back of my head and middle of my head is definately shoulder length i just need to work on my sides bangs and crown in which i know are the slowest/hardest to grow. Im not really concerned with the length of my hair as much as health but its always nice to see the results of taking care of my hair. I didn't take starting pics but i attached a pic from 2008 that represents the usual length of my hair. This is the longest that my hair has ever been. I can say that keeping my hair in braids and over health of me are the contibuting factors for this growth. :yep: I will be getting some cornrows installed sometime this week
sorry if the pics are blurry/bad its my first time taking length pics.

^^^ From 2008 My usual hair length

^^^ Gotta work on the sides

^Sorry so big just showing my bangs which need more time and growth also

Last edited:

QUEENJAMES231

Got sick of my hair so I braided it up. Think Janet Jackson in Poetic Justice or Shanaynay

Attachments

• image-3935713699.jpg
    image-3935713699.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 20
  • image-2481344111.jpg
    image-2481344111.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 18
  • image-3803357614.jpg
    image-3803357614.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 22

PoisedNPolished

About to put some more of these in this weekend. Do you all moisture in seal while wearing braids? Here is my hair last weekend. How many inches would you say I need. I said 3 or 4...

mallysmommy

@ Mallysmummy

Are you not shoulder length already?

my back is but my bangs sides and crown aren't. i dont think i can claim it until they are all there lol. i don't want just my back to be long. i have to find a way to fill in those thin areas, ive been lurking in the growth aid threads.....

xu93texas

my back is but my bangs sides and crown aren't. i dont think i can claim it until they are all there lol. i don't want just my back to be long. i have to find a way to fill in those thin areas, ive been lurking in the growth aid threads.....

scalp massages and castor oil helped me out with thin edges and hair.

xu93texas

About to put some more of these in this weekend. Do you all moisture in seal while wearing braids? Here is my hair last weekend. How many inches would you say I need. I said 3 or 4...

Our hair is about the same length. I measured my length before installing kinky twists last month and I needed 3 in. for the back to get to SL.

As for as moisturizing my kinky twists, I do so everyday with either braid sheen spray or Donna Marie moisture mist. I also use Aphogee pro-vitamin leave in weekly after wash/dc. I apply my jbco mixture to scalp 3-4 times a week along with my sulfur product. I don't put oils on my kinky twists.

QUEENJAMES231

I use a moisturizing spray that I make. It has water aloe Vera juice, tea tree oil and grapeseed oil. I spay it on nightly and it does the trick.

PoisedNPolished

Our hair is about the same length. I measured my length before installing kinky twists last month and I needed 3 in. for the back to get to SL.

As for as moisturizing my kinky twists, I do so everyday with either braid sheen spray or Donna Marie moisture mist. I also use Aphogee pro-vitamin leave in weekly after wash/dc. I apply my jbco mixture to scalp 3-4 times a week along with my sulfur product. I don't put oils on my kinky twists.

Yes it is, although your hair looks longer in front and on the sides. I feel like I'm so far yet so close to SL if that makes sense. I will be sure to pick up something to moisturize my hair when I put these braids on. Any one know of a spray mix using sublimed sulfur powder? I have a whole container I need to use :yep:

gvin89

So I got my hair flat ironed for a special event...to my surprise it was longer than I thought. How long do you guys think before I can claim? At the start of this challenge, I originally said Full SL by June 2012.