Sides growing, back not

jamaicalovely

I believe my sides are growing (mainly thick) and my back is growing little or not at all. Is this normal when growing to APL? My hair is growing really really slow :perplexed.

If this happened to you, what did you do to fix this?

TIA

Faux

I'm the opposite. My sides grow soooo slow. They're just getting to SL some is even shorter than that. The back of my hair is grazing BSL. I just accept that different parts of my scalp grow at different speeds. I make sure to stay on top of my moisture game when it comes to my sides though.

Missigirl

I was having this problem but I started parting my hair down the middle and wearing 2 ponytails for my protective styles (it looks like my grandmothers hair style) but It helped my hair grow in the back.:yep:

ms.blue

some parts of the head the hair grow faster. One time the hair on my right side above the ear went crazy and grew to apl in a matter of weeks but the rest of my hair was little past shoulder length(it was cut that way not due to breakage). I use to have to cut that side shorter & it will out grow the rest of my hair. Finally that stopped cuz I hated it.

MsRR

I know the feeling...my sides in the front is really long and in the back just the sides is at bra strap but right in the lower back center its a little pass apl....I can't stand it...I have it weaved up now hoping this will help my back area...we will see...

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I believe my sides are growing (mainly thick) and my back is growing little or not at all. Is this normal when growing to APL? My hair is growing really really slow :perplexed.

If this happened to you, what did you do to fix this?

TIA

HEY SIS!

we have a lot in common!!!! Not only ATL, but "My sides are growing (mainly thick) and my back is growing little or not at all<<too!!! <<---exactly the same story .....except mine pertains to my stomach, waist & butt!:ohwell: Not quite sure what to do to get my "back" to grow:look:

But if i were you, in addition to your normal hair care regimen, I would give all of your special attention to the back of your hair. This area should be treated as a focus group. Condition it 1st....from root to tip and then the rest of your hair. Lightly oil it this section 1st (with any hair/scalp treatments you use) and then continue with the rest of your hair. IF THIS SECTION IS TREATED 1ST, IT ENSURES THAT YOU NEVER NEGLECT IT DURING TREATMENTS. DELICATELY massage this area every night..... and sleep on your sides (NOT BACK ) of the head. Until your back region catches up. Sleep on that slower growing area as less as possible

Last edited:

supermodelsonya

Hey girlie!

My hair seems to grow in stages for some odd reason....like at first the back of my hair took off growing! I was impressed but the crown of my head and my sides were only chin length. It looked ridiculous to me.

Now the crown and the sides are growing like mad, but the back seemed to slow down.

I can't even bribe my bangs to grow but when I was a child, they were the fastest growing part of my head! I would have bangs to my lips but the rest of my hair....NADA.

SIGH.

jamaicalovely

HEY SIS!

we have a lot in common!!!! Not only ATL, but "My sides are growing (mainly thick) and my back is growing little or not at all<<too!!! <<---exactly the same story .....except mine pertains to my stomach, waist & butt!:ohwell: Not quite sure what to do to get my "back" to grow:look:

But if i were you, in addition to your normal hair care regimen, I would give all of your special attention to the back of your hair. This area should be treated as a focus group. Condition it 1st....from root to tip and then the rest of your hair. Lightly oil it this section 1st (with any hair/scalp treatments you use) and then continue with the rest of your hair. IF THIS SECTION IS TREATED 1ST, IT ENSURES THAT YOU NEVER NEGLECT IT DURING TREATMENTS. DELICATELY massage this area every night..... and sleep on your sides (NOT BACK ) of the head. Until your back region catches up. Sleep on that slower growing area as less as possible

I couldn't help but laugh at your intro.:lachen: Let's not even talk about the "back". I'm pitiful. I thought I would at least get that when I was pregnant. NADA! :nono:

Anyways... yeah that sounds like a plan. My hair is braided up under a wig for now. I'm beginning to think my hair is not liking that, though I thought it wouldn't know the difference. I've been weaved up for 2.5 years straight.:ohwell:

MsRR

I couldn't help but laugh at your intro.:lachen: Let's not even talk about the "back". I'm pitiful. I thought I would at least get that when I was pregnant. NADA! :nono:

Anyways... yeah that sounds like a plan. My hair is braided up under a wig for now. I'm beginning to think my hair is not liking that, though I thought it wouldn't know the difference. I've been weaved up for 2.5 years straight.:ohwell:

Oh noo, weaving it up didn't help :sad: thats what I'm doing now hoping this would help me...oh well...I'm taking my down tomorrow after 1 month so we will see. Did it make your hair any worse? thinned it out or anything like that?

Last edited: