Forget Brastrap...

blkmaryland

I love the way my back is growing.....but, when I look at my sides and front......really the hair from my ears forward, if that makes any since....it makes me wonder what's the purpose of having long hair from behind only to turn around and face someone and my front and sides are short?

This my first time growing my hair past my neck since I was a child so, does this normally happen when you grow your hair? Or am I the only one? I welcome any suggestions on what to do to get over this hump....

webby

Think Slim
Did yo have hair breakage from braids? Just curious what caused the front to be short.

Anyway, to answer your question. I used to wear a short bob with bangs religiously. When I decided to grow my hair out, the back was really long, but I felt as if I had to keep getting my bangs cut, because it looked weird to me to have hair well past my shoulders with this section in the front only reaching my nose or lips. My stylist layered my hair, like Jennifer Anniston's signature cut and that style helped me transition to an even style.

Maybe you should try layers.

ms_kenesha

Right now my hair is like that and I'm hating it! But mine is because of previous layers. Also, most people don't have completely blunt long hair where the front and back are the same length, if you want that you'll have to keep cutting the back and waiting until the sides reach it.

blkmaryland said:
I love the way my back is growing.....but, when I look at my sides and front......really the hair from my ears forward, if that makes any since....it makes me wonder what's the purpose of having long hair from behind only to turn around and face someone and my front and sides are short?

This my first time growing my hair past my neck since I was a child so, does this normally happen when you grow your hair? Or am I the only one? I welcome any suggestions on what to do to get over this hump....

AllAboutTheHair

My hair was damaged mostly in the front because it was the most aggravated part of my head. Those hairs got brushed the most, the shampoo hit that area first (even when diluted) and I styled it more than the rest of my head. After I damaged it all to be damned, I just cut it off. I couldn't stand to see it break off. Now I cornrow the front, nothing fancy and treat it like a step-child. It is growing back very thick and healthy.

I expected the rest of my hair to stop growing because of what I read about bangs and George Michael's comments, but the rest of my hair is growing too. So I guess slowed growth is not true for everyone. Then again, I never wear it all together, I won't be doing that until the front is at least 8 inches in length.

My advice to you is just try to manipulate the front a whole lot less. You hair will thank you for it.

blkmaryland

Webby----No I didn't have braids but I did use John Freida's Bleach Blonde gel last year to lighten my hair. You know the one......it's like Sun-In...It's supposed to give you that "bleach blonde" look by lightening your hair without chemicals....Only it doesn't tell you that peroxide IS a chemical that is very harmful to your hair!!!!! I know that my hair is growing but more than likely I have breakage from using the gel. It's probably breaking little by little....not enough for me to notice the breakage but enough for me to notice that I am not maintaining my length!!!

Ms. K...I'm glad that your hating it too. I don't want to cut but now I can stalk "oops" I mean look at your Fotki for inspiration.

Thanks ladies!!!!!

Babygurl

My hair is like that too, the sides are a little past my shoulders and the back is longer, I really dont mind at all, I actually think it looks pretty good. The front was always shorter than the back and I refuse to trim them even so Ill just let my hair do its thing.

Lindy

AudraChanell said:
My hair is exactly like this too! I would love for the sides to catch up, but if they don't I am cool :)

Mine too... I'm on a quest to have "long" hair in the front & sides of my head as well as in the back!!! :laugh: They're coming along pretty well... I've always kept my front and sides shorter than the back for some odd reason... :look: so this might actually be the longest my hair sides have ever been since I was a child!! :ohwell: I'll be thrilled just to have them go below shoulder length!! :up:

blkmaryland

Ah ladies....I'm glad to see that I'm not alone!!!!! That's why I love this group.... :kiss: You always make me feel better!!!! I'm just going to be patient and let my hair do its thing....Until my next crisis :eek:

I just got a little scurred cause I thought that I was going to end up with a "mullet" hairdoo...You know, looking like the guy who sings Achy Breaky Heart!!!!! :lachen:

Wildflower

Grow, hair,Grow!!!
My hair was just like that too. I got tired of it and decided to cut my layers little by little. I'm almost there:D. I want to have one length bra-strap hair.

sylver2

My hair is also like this. Last year, my back was really long. From the front it looked like my hair was a little past shoulders. When I turned it was past bra strap.
I had them blunt cut about 3-4 inches off so it could be more even with front.
It just keeps growing that way. It definately don't look bad so I am just going to live with it..lol

AudraChanell

I'd HAPPILY live with your hair! :D and pay for it and some more :lachen: :lachen:

sylver2 said:
My hair is also like this. Last year, my back was really long. From the front it looked like my hair was a little past shoulders. When I turned it was past bra strap.
I had them blunt cut about 3-4 inches off so it could be more even with front.
It just keeps growing that way. It definately don't look bad so I am just going to live with it..lol

sylver2

MonaLisa said:
*Mo looks at Audra's hair....and thinks upon the Wheat Germ....*

WHAT!! No u are not weakening. Sylver pushes NTM back in Mo's head. NTM NTM NTM NTM....but...Audra's hair is looking sooo good..NO,(shakes head & shoulders) must not weakend....NTM NTM NTM NTM.

sharee

blkmaryland said:
Ah ladies....I'm glad to see that I'm not alone!!!!! That's why I love this group.... :kiss: You always make me feel better!!!! I'm just going to be patient and let my hair do its thing....Until my next crisis :eek:

I just got a little scurred cause I thought that I was going to end up with a "mullet" hairdoo...You know, looking like the guy who sings Achy Breaky Heart!!!!! :lachen:

I was thinking the same thing! I am glad you posted this thread.

Isis

AllAboutTheHair said:
Now I cornrow the front, nothing fancy and treat it like a step-child. It is growing back very thick and healthy.

I expected the rest of my hair to stop growing because of what I read about bangs and George Michael's comments, but the rest of my hair is growing too. So I guess slowed growth is not true for everyone. Then again, I never wear it all together, I won't be doing that until the front is at least 8 inches in length.

My advice to you is just try to manipulate the front a whole lot less. You hair will thank you for it.
I'm wondering, has this ever happened to anyone? George Michael's comments seem like his own theory to me. There are too many ladies on this board with bangs and the rest of their hair is growing nice and long, at a normal pace.

SouthernGirl

blkmaryland said:

Great thread!

That's another one of my "secret" reasons for wearing a blunt cut that's the same length from front to back- it looks so much longer when you look at me from head on :up: Since the back is uniform, no one would ever wonder why it's not longer than it is.

I've thought of getting bangs cut in again, but it would make my hair look much shorter if I did that again :)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
i have shorter layers around my face than the back. its the way i had it cut. i think after i grow my hair out, im just going to have it all one equal length.