*Sigh* Finally got my sew-in right (Pic heavy)

Ijanei

Sooo basically I been dying to have a sew-in to help with transitioning since I get the urge to just chop. So I attempted to do it myself which was a major FAIL but I can say attempt #2 actually worked out. Yaaay me! It took me about 4-5hrs. Well I can't give all the credit to myself because i got frustrated half way through it and my mom (who also had no experience with sew-ins) finished the rest for me.

It turned out pretty good in my eyes. Now I don't have to touch my hair for a while. Hopefully I gain another inch or two when I take this down so I will be at APL. Enough with the talking, I know you guys are big on pictures so here ya' go! (BTW I didn't style it yet so don't judge me:ohwell:)

The hair...which I only used one pack was Sensationnel 100% Human-Natural hair

I cornrowed straight back since it was easier. I left out the top and the sides so that I can put in a high ponytail for jogging.

Here is the point where I gave up and let my mother finish :lachen:

okay the moment u all been waiting for.......(drum roll) The finish product, I flat ironed my hair so it would blend and also bumped the weave a little bit. (before you peep the after-look, just know that I was not dressed and had just got finished eating so yes I am full and stuffed and greasy)

I will style it sometime tomorrow, right now I wrapped it up for bed. Hope you enjoyed and I can finally say I now how to sew hair in (kinda':look:)

Duchesse

It looks very nice and natural from the pics, not overdone at all. You and momdukes did a good job!

hairmaster

Horizontal gives you secure weft and end can be sewan down. look on you tube for how to on weaves

Last edited:

glamazon386

Next time run you'r braids horizonitaly .

Actually, most of the stylists I've been to do the vertical braids. They said vertical is better because it's less weight on the hair. The track runs opposite of the braid. You take that thread under the braid and then over the track. It's also easier to install and take out if you're doing it yourself with the vertical braids. Whenever I've done my own I've done it that way. It also lays flatter when the braids are small.

OP, it looks good! Especially for your first try. How long do you plan to keep it in?

Ijanei

It looks good.
Doing a sew in is harder than it looks. I give you credit.

Thanks, it was hard and time consuming but once u get the hang of how to actually lock the needle thru, it was a little bit easier. My thread kept getting tangled up though:sad:

Horizontal gives you secure weft and end can be sewan down. look on you tube for how to on weaves

that's where I got the idea of sewing it in vertically and from a few ladies on here. Horizontally seems like it would take to much time and I just wanted it done. It seems like if you do it that way, the hair would be to thick because of all the braids...:ohwell:

Looks great!

Thanks doll :grin:

Actually, most of the stylists I've been to do the vertical braids. They said vertical is better because it's less weight on the hair. The track runs opposite of the braid. You take that thread under the braid and then over the track. It's also easier to install and take out if you're doing it yourself with the vertical braids. Whenever I've done my own I've done it that way. It also lays flatter when the braids are small.

OP, it looks good! Especially for your first try. How long do you plan to keep it in?

Thanks and I agree it is easier to do it this way. Well I never really gave the other way a try but this seems so much less trouble. I thought the ladies on here did theirs vertically as well....??

I followed these instructions because it was her first try as well and her's turned out nice (First ever install)

this thread here also says vertical is better for sew-ins
(yes I did a search before I even installed :lachen:)

Also reading you post how u do urs in one of those threads made me want to give it a try as well. Thanks glamazon386

Ijanei

So pretty!.Update us on how long you keep the sew in and the hair...

I surely will, now this will be the test because I don't know how to take care of the hair under the weave, I think I have sewed the wefts to close to stick my applicator bottle through:perplexed

You and your momma did an excellent job. It looks so natural and looks like your real hair.

Thanks, considering it's not done yet :grin: