Silicon mix and kanechom....an I using it wrong?

curlytwirly06

So after hearing races about it from this form, other naturals, and Amazon reviews I decided to try it. Thing is, I feel like it does not moisturize my hair! I have heard all these great things about it so I'm wondering if it's me and the way I'm using it. The first time was after a fresh wash and just the silicon mix by itself under the steamer for 30 minutes. Not good results, hair did not feel coated or anything but just not moisturized. Second time I mixed it with some Bambu silicon mix and chocolate kanechom (only one I could find) and set under the steamer. Better but still not the super moisturizing stuff I heard about. The last time I did the sane thing in freshly washed hair and kept it in over night. My hair still pretty much only felt like I had put a light conditioner on it. I really want this product to work for me. I usually just scoop out equal amounts of kanechom and silicon mix and mix then apply . Is there some sort of secret method I'm missing here?

I'm 3a-c very fine loose textured curls. Up until now the only non natural products I have used are aphogee 2 step and two minute. I heard so much about it I thought it might be worth it to use. Also I bought a shampoo with sls and have been using it once a week for the past three weeks seeing as I have been using cones.

Last edited:

Urban

Hmm, maybe it just doesn't agree with your hair. I LOVE silicon mix, but I don't have a secret method. My methods are:

- Use while in the shower, with or without shampooing first. Leave in for ~10-15 mintues. Wash out. Sometimes I don't wash it all out and leave a little coating on my hair.

- Other times I'll apply it, wear a shower cap and wash out after 30-40 minutes.

I've never used it with heat or mixed it with anything else.

I am 1.5 months post texlax with quite a lot of new growth already, and my strands are 4a/b, super thin and very tangly. I hadn't combed my hair in probably 6 months, just finger detangling every few weeks. The other day, I coated my hair generously with Silicon Mix. Put on a shower cap for 30 minutes and finger detangled in the shower for about 20 minutes. All my tangles pretty much melted away (most of the hard work was making sure all the shed hair was out) and by the end, I could run my fingers through my hair from top to bottom with no problem.

curlytwirly06

Hmm, maybe it just doesn't agree with your hair. I LOVE silicon mix, but I don't have a secret method. My methods are: - Use while in the shower, with or without shampooing first. Leave in for ~10-15 mintues. Wash out. Sometimes I don't wash it all out and leave a little coating on my hair. - Other times I'll apply it, wear a shower cap and wash out after 30-40 minutes. I've never used it with heat or mixed it with anything else. I am 1.5 months post texlax with quite a lot of new growth already, and my strands are 4a/b, super thin and very tangly. I hadn't combed my hair in probably 6 months, just finger detangling every few weeks. The other day, I coated my hair generously with Silicon Mix. Put on a shower cap for 30 minutes and finger detangled in the shower for about 20 minutes. All my tangles pretty much melted away (most of the hard work was making sure all the shed hair was out) and by the end, I could run my fingers through my hair from top to bottom with no problem.

Wow, that's the kind of results I wanted to see for my hair. It is a good detangler but it is lacking for me in the moisture department. I was hoping someone could tell if they use it in some way that enhances it.

Quick question, how often do you have to wash your hair if you use silicones? I just washed and am trying out sm for the last time hoping for some miracle. If this does not give me the moisture I need I was going to follow up with my regular natural deep conditioner. Will that be dumb now that I have silicones in my hair and the natural conditioner won't be able to penetrate? Do I have to rewash with a sls shampoo?

reeko43

My hair is mostly 3c with 4a at the crown. Tried Silicon Mix early in my hair journey and just gave it away. Did absolutely nothing for my hair. No product works for everyone. That is why I am not surprised when a product gets mixed reviews.

Evolving78

It might be the silicon mix. It makes my hair feel coated and chips it. The kanechom doesn't.
I had the opposite happen. The kanechom just left my hair coated with no slip. Silicon mix is my secret lover, husband, baby daddy, high school crush, etc.. Lol

curlytwirly06

Wow, that's the kind of results I wanted to see for my hair. It is a good detangler but it is lacking for me in the moisture department. I was hoping someone could tell if they use it in some way that enhances it. Quick question, how often do you have to wash your hair if you use silicones? I just washed and am trying out sm for the last time hoping for some miracle. If this does not give me the moisture I need I was going to follow up with my regular natural deep conditioner. Will that be dumb now that I have silicones in my hair and the natural conditioner won't be able to penetrate? Do I have to rewash with a sls shampoo?

Does anyone have an answer for this???

Quick question, how often do you have to wash your hair if you use silicones? I just washed and am trying out sm for the last time hoping for some miracle. If this does not give me the moisture I need I was going to follow up with my regular natural deep conditioner. Will that be dumb now that I have silicones in my hair and the natural conditioner won't be able to penetrate? Do I have to rewash with a sls shampoo?

Evolving78

Wow, that's the kind of results I wanted to see for my hair. It is a good detangler but it is lacking for me in the moisture department. I was hoping someone could tell if they use it in some way that enhances it. Quick question, how often do you have to wash your hair if you use silicones? I just washed and am trying out sm for the last time hoping for some miracle. If this does not give me the moisture I need I was going to follow up with my regular natural deep conditioner. Will that be dumb now that I have silicones in my hair and the natural conditioner won't be able to penetrate? Do I have to rewash with a sls shampoo?
I am a shampoo (sulfate) user. I shampoo two to three times a week. My hair can tolerate cones better than natural products.

Evolving78

You can use the silicon mix as a result of rinse out conditioner and deep condition with the natural conditioner your have.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
How does it chip ur hair? How have you used the kanechom by itself?

I'm not sure of the formula now, but when I used it it had mineral oil and when my hair would dry I would have breakage. A lot of it. These little end pieces. Using kanechom by itself did not do it. That's why I stopped using it. It didn't work for me but I do recommend because so many people have had great results with it. I mix kanechom with other conditioners though.

Evolving78

And I use products with cones in them to moisturize my hair. Natural products just sit on top. They have water in them, but do nothing to soften and smooth my hair. I wash frequently because I like the feel of clean hair and I have fine hair.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Does anyone have an answer for this??? Quick question, how often do you have to wash your hair if you use silicones? I just washed and am trying out sm for the last time hoping for some miracle. If this does not give me the moisture I need I was going to follow up with my regular natural deep conditioner. Will that be dumb now that I have silicones in my hair and the natural conditioner won't be able to penetrate? Do I have to rewash with a sls shampoo?

I wash once a week without a problem. If you are worried about build up use a sulphate shampoo (if you can handle it or don't have a preference) and use the silicone containing product last.

curlytwirly06

And I use products with cones in them to moisturize my hair. Natural products just sit on top. They have water in them, but do nothing to soften and smooth my hair. I wash frequently because I like the feel of clean hair and I have fine hair.

Thanks fir the input! It seems like cones never fully moisturize my hair. Aussie 3 minute does nothing for me moisture wise, I only use it to take down braids etc. This whole thing has been an eye opener.

Rnjones

I tried the mix last night and the slip was good but hair didn't feel super moisturized when rinsing. I absolutely love silicon mix by itself. Have been using since early 2000's. I hated the kanechom by itself. I'll try the mix again though.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Evolving78

I tried the mix last night and the slip was good but hair didn't feel super moisturized when rinsing. I absolutely love silicon mix by itself. Have been using since early 2000's. I hated the kanechom by itself. I'll try the mix again though. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
I think that chick on YouTube was just some marketing setup to buy this conditioner! I just used that stuff to detangle my DD's dried up wash and go.

Evolving78

????? Can you explain?
I'm not gonna link any thing or mention names, since I reviews to give that person or company more traffic and views, but this chick went on and on about how mixing the two products were life giving. People starting buying it based off of her review and suggestion. I really believe that was just slick marketing.

nymane

I LOVE Silicon Mix, it's super moisture-heavy for me, so much so that I have to make sure that I keep up with my protein treatment or it'll take me into moisture-overload land.

I smooth/work it in, section by section, until I feel my strands "melt." After my hair is fully saturated (I'm heavy handed), it feels like butter, and the moisture lasts for several days after.

I've never tried mixing Silicon Mix with any other conditioner or oil.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
How many of us who bought the goats milk formula doesn't find it moisturizing? I have the Shea butter kanechom and the mix is AWESOME for my hair. From what I've read, the goats milk is protein based.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I LOVE Silicon Mix, it's super moisture-heavy for me, so much so that I have to make sure that I keep up with my protein treatment or it'll take me into moisture-overload land.

I smooth/work it in, section by section, until I feel my strands "melt." After my hair is fully saturated (I'm heavy handed), it feels like butter, and the moisture lasts for several days after.

I've never tried mixing Silicon Mix with any other conditioner or oil.

This is my experience.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

Evolving78

How many of us who bought the goats milk formula doesn't find it moisturizing? I have the Shea butter kanechom and the mix is AWESOME for my hair. From what I've read, the goats milk is protein based. Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF
I got that one. I will give it another go, since you like TJ nourish spa and I agree with you on that! So I know where your head is at when it comes to slip and moisture! Lol