Silk Elements MegaSilk Relaxer with Shea Butter

I thought ppl were having problems with shedding & SE. I'm shedding even with adding oils, conditioner & protein to it, but i'm like 8 months post texlax. Anyone with shedding problems? Need to know if to switch or use this again?

Bumping for a reply

Just updating. I used SE in regular strength for the second time on Saturday and so far so good. Hair turned out silky and soft and no shedding so far. I liked it so much I purchased the 4 lb tub so I can always have some for my future relaxers. Definitely a keeper :)

Just updating. I used SE in regular strength for the second time on Saturday and so far so good. Hair turned out silky and soft and no shedding so far. I liked it so much I purchased the 4 lb tub so I can always have some for my future relaxers. Definitely a keeper :)

I didn't have shedding when I used mine either. I am relaxing in two weeks with it again. Did you do a protein treatment after you applied it? I always do so maybe that helps combat the shedding issue.

Last edited:
I didn't have shedding when I used mine either. I am relaxing in two weeks with it again. Did you did a protein treatment after you applied it? I always do so maybe that helps combat the shedding issue.

I used the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor before neutralizing. I plan on using my trusted garlic oil before my next wash just to cover all the bases, but I do expect some post partum shedding as my hormones stabilize.

I've used SE three times now, and I actually have less shedding than I did with Phyto!

I bought a 4lb tub of Silk Elements (coarse) from Sally's. (Brief PJ moment). It was $13.99 with a free Liter of Neutralizing poo. Must have a coupon.

I tried this last Saturday and I like it. It straightened well with no shedding. I will definetely use this again.:yep:

I thought ppl were having problems with shedding & SE. I'm shedding even with adding oils, conditioner & protein to it, but i'm like 8 months post texlax. Anyone with shedding problems? Need to know if to switch or use this again?

UPDATE ON MY HAIR

Sugarhoney, I think you might be right. I went back to look at older threads and it seems some users had some issues with shedding. I feel my hair has been acting funny since my last relaxer. Here I was thinking that maybe it was my post partum shedding, but I am starting to wonder if the relaxer has anything to do with it. Also, I was washing my hair just now and noticed that the hair just past the ng is looking a little underprocessed!! I don't know if it's because I've been sweating a lot lately, but my hair has been acting up. I know I am about 10 weeks post relaxer, but I feel my hair is just not being itself. I plan on getting a touch up this coming weekend and take it from there. If the shedding does not seem to ease up, then I might have to try a different relaxer... and I so love the way my hair came out with SE :wallbash:

I absolutely LOVE Silk Elements!! I just relaxed my hair this morning and one thing I will say is my hair is shaking and movin in the wind lol, but seriously my hair is 4B, very thick and so I like how my hair feels. Ive always been a profectiv user but I recently decided to go back to SE so I can stop using no lye relaxers, but I really like these products. Ive never experienced shedding or breakage or anything like that either, my hair loves all SE products

Sent from My Android ;)

I used it and I did not like it. Maybe it was too moisturizing or something it didn't straighten my hair in the same amount of time that ORS no-lye does. I find that relaxers with a lot of moisturizers do so while sometimes compromising the ability to straighten.

Thanks for replying guys.

I plan on trying it but making sure to do good pre-treatments this week (i.e., tea rinses, garlic oil massages, dc, etc).

I have really thin hair so it may be a good thing that the relaxer doesn't relax totally straight in my case. I hope all works out. Thanks again.

Any other comments on this relaxer?

Thanks for replying guys.

I plan on trying it but making sure to do good pre-treatments this week (i.e., tea rinses, garlic oil massages, dc, etc).

I have really thin hair so it may be a good thing that the relaxer doesn't relax totally straight in my case. I hope all works out. Thanks again.

Any other comments on this relaxer?

I have fine, 4b (I guess) hair. I have had issues with relaxers that didn't straighten my hair as much as I wanted by when I wet set my hair my hair was smooth. That was not the case with this relaxer. I don't do a lot of direct heat styling my hair so I'm dependent on rollersets and wraps to keep my hair smooth.

Yeah, I have been debating that. I want my hair to be fairly straight enough to do rollersets so that I won't have to use a flat iron frequently.

I'm thinking it's better to just relax straight instead of applying direct heat regularly.

Any thoughts anyone?

For those who love Silk Elements and get good results, what is your hair type? And what strength do you use. Mine is 4a/4b (coarse, but fine) and I am REALLY struggling to find the right strength. Even to the point of thinking I should use all three different strengths on separate parts on my head!!!

My hair type is similar to yours relaxed 4a/b. One side is thicker than the other and a different type! I used the Silk Elements regular and it worked well. The only thing I would do differently is apply to the coarser side first, because it was more texlaxed than straight.

Back