Silk Elements Relaxer

yourleoqueen said:
Okay, yeah, I read those posts and was thinking WTH?! What was that about? Hadn't she read where it is only supposed to be available at SALLY? Is it possible that the asian BSS she goes to is buying it from Sally and reselling it at a jacked up price? Is that even legal?

Either way, I hope for her sake she is getting the real product jus paying way too much for it, cuz the other possibility is scary.

Funny thing is I thought I had seen this line in my local asian BSS. I was hoping I did cuz its more convenient than Sally's. But I am really wanting to try this relaxer too after all of the rave reviews. I will have to check it out and if its there, ask them where they get it from.

syze6

Okay..I relaxed last night with the silk elements. I had good results but it didn't leave my hair as soft as the Vitale Life and body. Maybe it's due to washing to many times with the neutralizing shampoo. I get paranoid about leaving any relaxer in my hair, so I usually shampoo 4 times!

Cayenne0622

syze6 said:
Okay..I relaxed last night with the silk elements. I had good results but it didn't leave my hair as soft as the Vitale Life and body. Maybe it's due to washing to many times with the neutralizing shampoo. I get paranoid about leaving any relaxer in my hair, so I usually shampoo 4 times!

Yeah, that may be it. Did you try an ACV Rinse once you were done with your deep conditioning etc.? That tends to help. What follow up products did you use after you were done neutralizing?

yourleoqueen

Cayenne0622 said:
For fine/medium 4a hair, which strength of SE Relaxer to you guys recommend?
Well, we have some thick 4b ladies who used regular and got great results, and we got some 4a ladies who used mild and got great results. I myself am a 4a and I got GREAT results with the regular. I coulda prolly used mild and just left it on a lil longer.

Whichever you get, go by the look and feel of your hair while processing and neutralize whenever you achieve the desired level of straightening. Of course, you could always strand test before hand so you'd know apprx the processing time you need. I'm impatient, so I don't do that. HTH

Cayenne0622

I'm all paranoid about what relaxer I want to use in a few weeks. I'm pretty much sold on Silk Elements...by the way thanks for all of your responses and the info on this. But here is my next dilemna...

In another thread, SuperGirl indicated the SE's neutralizing shampoo made her hair feel pretty dry and that she now uses Profectiv's neutralizing shampoo and her hair feels better - she still uses SE relaxer though. This might answer the question to one of the ladies on this board who said she shampoo'd her hair like 4 times with the neutralizer to make sure all of the relaxer was out and she said her hair was really dry.

Has anyone experienced some dryness after using the neutralizer? And if so, have you done like SGirl and just switched neutralizers to combat that?

Thanks mucho!!

kbody4

Cayenne, my hair was a bit dry, and yes I shampooed 4 times. I like to make sure no relaxer is left in my hair. I deep conditioned with a moisturizing conditioner, and still my hair was in love :love:!! I am going into my second week and it's great!!!

Tee

Cayenne0622 said:
I'm all paranoid about what relaxer I want to use in a few weeks. I'm pretty much sold on Silk Elements...by the way thanks for all of your responses and the info on this. But here is my next dilemna...

In another thread, SuperGirl indicated the SE's neutralizing shampoo made her hair feel pretty dry and that she now uses Profectiv's neutralizing shampoo and her hair feels better - she still uses SE relaxer though. This might answer the question to one of the ladies on this board who said she shampoo'd her hair like 4 times with the neutralizer to make sure all of the relaxer was out and she said her hair was really dry.

Has anyone experienced some dryness after using the neutralizer? And if so, have you done like SGirl and just switched neutralizers to combat that?

Thanks mucho!!

I have asked about this also. TSU said she didn't use the SE neutralizing shampoo and she got good results. I am taking her advice and using what I already have and by passing the SE Neutralizing poo. I will update in a few weeks.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Well I was lurking around this thread earlier and since I ran out of my Vitale Life & Body relaxer, plus my budget doesn't call for me to repurchase it right now I decided to give Silk Elements a try since it is a Lye relaxer, I will continue to use the other steps in the Vitale system along w/the vitale products. I think the products and the steps taken after relaxing play a big roll in the overall condition of your hair. I'll be back to post my results, I hope there great because my cheap but bought the 4lb tub because it was on sale for $9.99 until 8/31/06 at Sally's, :lol: , w/that price I really couldn't resist purchasing.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Cayenne0622 said:

Thanks mucho!!

I never even bought the SE neutralizing shampoo because nothing beats Motions, IMO. And I only bought the small jar of the relaxer, so I didn't need that big bottle of shampoo.

yourleoqueen

I'm gonna buy the SE neutralizer just so I can have the bottle that matches the tub of Relaxer. I'll pour it into another bottle and use it on other folk and then refill the SE bottle with the Proclaim for meself. I know, I got issues.:D

Last edited:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
yourleoqueen said:
I'm gonna buy the SE neutralizer just so I can have the bottle that matches the tub of Relaxer. I'll use it on other folk and then when the bottle is empty I will refill it with the Proclaim. I know, I got issues.:D

The Proclaim is really starting to catch my PJ eye. How does the neutralizing poo work for you?

~*~ShopAholic~*~

:lachen: ..........
yourleoqueen said:
I'm gonna buy the SE neutralizer just so I can have the bottle that matches the tub of Relaxer. I'll use it on other folk and then when the bottle is empty I will refill it with the Proclaim. I know, I got issues.:D

yourleoqueen

B_Phlyy said:
The Proclaim is really starting to catch my PJ eye. How does the neutralizing poo work for you?
I haven't used it to neutralize yet as my next touch-up isn't til Oct. I have used it just to see what it felt like though. It felt good and my hair didn't feel dry or stripped after I washed with it. I bought it cuz someone on here recommended it and it has color alarm. The fact that it was on sale didn't hurt either.

gradygirl

I'm looking for a good relaxer to texlax with that won't set my scalp on fire. Have any 4A/4B ladies with resistant hair successfully texlaxed with this relaxer. If so how long did you leave it on? What formula did you use?

Nita81

I like SE. I tried to transition but this august humidity was causing my hair to frizz and poof out of control. I just lightly smoothed thru my hair kinda like the silkener method to tame it. I feel guilty for doing so but the SE really helped with my frizzies.

prettywhitty

gradygirl said:
I'm looking for a good relaxer to texlax with that won't set my scalp on fire. Have any 4A/4B ladies with resistant hair successfully texlaxed with this relaxer. If so how long did you leave it on? What formula did you use?

When I used the mild to straighten, I ended up with a textlaxed look. Even when I did a corrective and let is sit for 25 min, it straightened a little, but it is textlaxed to maybe 55%. It may work for you.

Cayenne0622

Thanks everybody! SO Proclaim, Motions, and maybe even Profectiv may be some good neutralizing options. I'll let you know how it goes in a few weeks.

LovelyLionessa

Proclaim Neutralizing Poo is great plus it has the color alarm. I picked up another bottle this month, it's only 89 cents with a discount card, I love it!

gradygirl

Miz Jackson said:
When I used the mild to straighten, I ended up with a textlaxed look. Even when I did a corrective and let is sit for 25 min, it straightened a little, but it is textlaxed to maybe 55%. It may work for you.
Thanks, I wont mine to be texlaxed to about 75%. So maybe I'll try this and leave it on longer

gn1g

I'm going to try this perm tonight on my daughter followed by:

Motion Neutralizer
duo tex protein
Kenra MC

and I don't know what to use for a leave in any suggestiions?

How does this sound?

yourleoqueen

gn1g said:
I'm going to try this perm tonight on my daughter followed by:

Motion Neutralizer
duo tex protein
Kenra MC

and I don't know what to use for a leave in any suggestiions?

How does this sound?
That sounds pretty good! I know Silk Elements has a cremem leave0in that some ladies here say is good. Haven't tried it yet cuz they are always out when I go. I hope they have some when I go on Friday. Motions makes a spray leave in that I am loving, it's called Nourish.

LovelyLionessa

yourleoqueen said:
That sounds pretty good! I know Silk Elements has a cremem leave0in that some ladies here say is good. Haven't tried it yet cuz they are always out when I go. I hope they have some when I go on Friday. Motions makes a spray leave in that I am loving, it's called Nourish.

I know, my Sally's is always out of that SE leave-in cream too. I've been trying to get it for weeks to no avail. :mad:

shunta

I have finally jumped on the Silk Elements bandwagon. Yesterday, my stylist relaxed my hair with the Megasilk lye in reguar, and the end results were spectacular. Im 4a/b, and my hair is pretty thick. At first, I didnt think it would take too well because my last lye relaxer (Elasta QP mild) didnt do so well. Needless to say, I was bone straight!! Im sooo thankful for all of you ladies' suggestions. I think I have found a keeper!!!;)

LovelyLionessa

This weekend I plan on doing my touch up with Silk Elements lye, I can't wait. This will be my second go around at self relaxing, and this time I plan on leaving it on a little longer. Last time I was worried that I had to rinse the perm off the second the timer hit 18 min. and I ended up underprocessed. I'm going to follow up with Wella Regeneral ph normailizing lotion for a few minutes rinse and then use my Proclaim Neutralizing poo for several rinses and leave the lather on for 5 min. and rinse again. All systems are go for OPERATION: RE-TOUCH! :lol:

gn1g

Ok I got the relaxer the leavin and the I have the moisturizing conditioner. So I am going to use the entire SE line along with Duo tex protein. that should work. I;ll let you all know tomorrow.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Priestess said:
I know, my Sally's is always out of that SE leave-in cream too. I've been trying to get it for weeks to no avail. :mad:

My Sally's is always out of it too. Maybe we need to start a letter writing campaign to get it back in stores.

fattyfatfat

Is a small tub silk-elements available over the internet? I go to college in a very small (white) town so...they have very basic kinds of relaxers here. I would like to try silk elements because its has such great reviews here. TIA!

yourleoqueen

Priestess said:
This weekend I plan on doing my touch up with Silk Elements lye, I can't wait
You lucky ducky! My next touch-up isn't til Oct, but the SE, makes my hair feel SO good, I want to perm more often. Oh well, I have the Motions Moisture Plus to give me that 'my hair feel so good' feeling.