Silly Question

H

HoneyRockette

I haven't even cut my hair yet and I am already thinking of the grow out. I am trying to calculate how long it would take me to reach this length again, provided my hair is cut to around 2-3 inches on the top and sides. If the back is tapered to about 1/4 inch, then in a year it will be about six inches, no? Six inches from the kitchen area would be shoulder length, or maybe even passed shoulder on me. Why is it that almost no one who get their hair cut that short reaches shoulder length after a year? The kitchen is the lowest point on the scalp so that hair should reach shoulder length before the rest of the hair, right? Does the kitchen grow slower than the rest of the hair?

JenJen2721

HoneyRockette,
I'm wondering the same thing...my hair is cut in the style you described now and I'm hoping for 5-6 inches by the end of the year. I now know many of the mistakes I made in the past that prevented my growth (too much heat, sleeping on cotton, not enough moisture, wearing braids too long, the list goes on.)

If there are any other challenges standing in the way of achieving this much length in this amount of time, I'd really, really like to know. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Another big challenge that I had is trying to wait longer to get relaxer touch-ups. I know when hair is tapered, touch-ups are needed more frequently. (not sure why), but my hair is always prone to breakage around touch-up time.

I think it's because the new growth is about the same length as the relaxed hair and of course the re-growth is much stronger. (I think that's the reason, please correct me if I'm wrong. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

Anyway, sorry HoneyRockette if I took over this post, but I think it's a GREAT QUESTION! I can't wait to see the replies.

Jen

NayNay

HR
I think the hairdressers cut your hair to accomodate the differences in length on your head. If you think about it the back part of your hair would grow out and you would have short sides and a short top and your hair would look CRAZY! When I grew my hair out the hairdresser cut the back more than the sides and when the sides grew she reduced the back cutting and adjusted the cuts to match the growth of the sides. .