Single Strand Knots on Relaxed Hair...Where do they come from?

SouthernDimps

So I've been co-washing and doing braid outs for the past couple of months. I decided to flat iron my hair two weeks ago and noticed a good number of single strand knots near the end of my hair. I know that this can be common for the natural ladies, but I am confused why I am experiencing these as well. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? and is it wrong for me to clip my ends above the knot?

I can still detangle my hair and use a fine tooth comb while flat ironing but it's just annoying to deal with these knots!!!

Thanks in advance ladies :)

leona2025

I asked about these awhile back. I get them too and most times I ahve to cut them because they have become so tight. I detangle and moisturize everyday, so I don't know where they come from either, but I do know that as I shed hairs if I don't get them out quickly then I get more of the the knots. The shedded hairs seems to be where it comes from for me.

Nonie

I don't think it's a natural ladies thing. I think it's something that is typical of our hair. OK, I'ma stop now because I don't know what that means. But look at the link below. They don't say whether they mean natural or not. But I've heard of relaxed heads having knots too so... *shrug*
http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_76.htm

Ms Lala

OH you're kidding me, I didn't know relaxed ladies got these freakin' knots too. This is the main reason I was considering texturizing my hair. I'm glad I read this. I guess the chemicals won't help if my hair is prone to knotting, I didn't notice them until my hair got past APL.

Dposh167

yes ive got them during my last stretch. it was only during the last week or so before i relaxed. i had to cut them out. I think it was a 'detangle' issue for me. but still dont know how i got em

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Probably because you've been doing braid-outs and your ends are not straight. Textured/curly ends are more prone to fairy knots. Try putting a small roller at the end of your braids to straighten out the ends a little so they won't knot up on each other.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I'm going to co-sign the braid outs. I thought it was a coincidence when I started noticing them after wearing twistouts on my texlaxed hair, but that was the culprit. I don't get them wearing buns or updos.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
When I was transitioning, I got them when I was practicing flat twists.:ohwell: I couldn't get my hair strait without wetting it.:sad: It was another reason why I shortened my transition.

Menina Preta

I get single strand knots and I'm relaxed. I notice one or two after wearing a braid out. I think it's b/c I don't comb during that time.

glamazon386

From the hair expanding when wet and then contracting as it dries. If you wash and airdry with loose hair repeatedly it'll happen. You have to stretch the hair out some as it dries. Maybe on rollers or something.

winnettag

I don't think it's a natural ladies thing. I think it's something that is typical of our hair. OK, I'ma stop now because I don't know what that means. But look at the link below. They don't say whether they mean natural or not. But I've heard of relaxed heads having knots too so... *shrug*
http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_76.htm

Those were some scary pics.
I would never look at my hair under a microscope after that....I'm in denial.