SLS and Mineral Oil info that you may want to know

Kiadodie

Please read....this is info on SLS and Mineral Oil

Toxic Toiletries…

* Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS)
Found in shampoos, hair conditioners, toothpaste's, body washes. Strong detergent which can cause eye irritation, permanent damage to the eyes, especially in children, skin rashes, hair loss, flaking skin and mouth ulceration.

When combined with other ingredients, can form nitrosamines, which are carcinogenic. Easily penetrates the skin and can lodge itself in the heart, lungs, liver and brain.
SLS can damage the immune system; causing separation of skin layers and inflammation of skin. -Journal of the American College of Toxicology; Vol. 2, No. 7, 1983
SLS penetrates into the skin and into the eyes, and is also held in the brain, heart and liver. A single drop stays in the brain and body for a few days - Doctor's worry: Is your baby safe?
SLS is a mutagen. It is capable of changing the information in genetic material found in cells. SLS has been used in studies to induce mutagen in bacteria. -Higuchi, Araya and Higuchi, school of medicine, Tohoku University: Sendai 980 Japan
SLS is a potent carcinogen when contaminated with any nitrosamines. -FDA Report 1978

* Petrolatum & Mineral Oil
This is used industrially as a petroleum based grease component and is also known as liquid vaseline, mineral oil jelly, baby oil and paraffinum liquidum. This substance strips the natural oils from the skin and forms an oily film over the skin, which prohibits the release of toxins in the same way as Mineral Oil does. It can also cause photosensitivity, chapping, dryness and premature ageing.

"Mineral Oil has a tendency to dissolve the skin's own natural oil and thereby increase dehydration. Mineral Oils have been found to be probably the single greatest cause of breakouts in women who use a new product." Deborah Chase, 'The New Medically-Based No-Nonsense Beauty Book, 1989.

kasey

Re: SLS and Mineral Oil info that you may want to

Thanks Kia,

There is so much conflicting info on SLS and mineral oil/petroletum in skin and hair care products. But I think there have been enough scientific studies to show that we should exercise caution with the use of these chemicals.

Thanks for posting your research.

G

Ooooohhh....that sounds scary! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif I guess I'll be more cautious when I'm shopping for hair products. I use Creme of Nature shampoo, and I have never paid much attention to the ingredients.

But I would have never thought those things were so damaging.

And, I'm just finding out that TCB has mineral oil and petrolatum. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

What else is there to use???? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kiadodie

I know, it is scary but when I think about it..we use these products on our precious hair so we should know what's in them and how they affect us, right?
I personally really never pay attention to the ingredients but now (thanks to this board) I'm being more aware of what goes into the products that I use /images/graemlins/wink.gif

pebbles

Oh goodness,

This is scary. I didn't know all that stuff about sls and mineral oil. /images/graemlins/confused.gif