Smooth Roller Set Results for 4B All Natural...

dlove

Do you have the solution? My hair comes out frizzy. Here is what I use and do:
  1. After washing and conditioning, I spray a concoction of Giovanni Direct (2 1/2 tsp) to 1 1/2 tsp of castor oil to 1 1/4 cup of purified water. This is my leave in.
  2. Apply CHI serum all over.
  3. Saturate each section with purified water before rolling.
I contine to saturate my hair with water until the set is finished and I'm ready to sit under the dryer.

4. After drying, I apply EOB (essential oil blend for growth)to my roots.

The results? Nice set, but you can see the wavy like 4b texture throughout my hair, there is no "smoothness""silkiness", just frizzy.

Questions?
1. If you are a 4B thick haired natural and can DIY a smooth rollerset, post your steps. Pictures would be nice too:yep:.
2. What products do you use to moisturize and seal daily with a natural rollerset?

If these questions for a 4B has already been posted and the questions answered, please direct me to a link or links.

Thanks Ladies, I know you will save the day.

Last edited:
I don't think a 4b natural will get smooth from a rollerset. There will probably still be some degree of frizz/puffiness. Most 4bs who rollerset do so to straighten the hair out before pressing or flat ironing. Not to wear in that style. Maybe you can twist first and then set the hair on rollers for a curly look?

Last edited:
I agree. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I don't think a 4b natural will get smooth from a rollerset. There will probably still be some degree of frizz/puffiness. Most 4bs who rollerset do so to straighten the hair out before pressing or flat ironing. Not to wear in that style. Maybe you can twist first and then set the hair on rollers for a curly look?

Most 4b natural I know who rollerset for the style generally stretch their hair out via banding, etc, and then add moisturizer & roll their hair while its dry.

Last edited:
The last time I did a rollerset, I did it on wet hair using Giovanni Direct leave in and NTM serum. It came out curly (loose curls) but I could still see the texture in my hair. Pics are in my fotki. I wore it out like that and loved it. Got lots of compliments on it too.

I think I'll try rollersetting on dry hair next time. I think that if I fully stretch my hair out before I roll it, I may be able to get a smoother rollerset.

Have you done it without using extra water and just oils? You've already washed it so extra water to me sounds like it would make it frizzy.

Have you tried using setting lotion? A couple of things *might* work.

Use a diluted setting lotion - it will help straighten and smooth your hair prior to putting it on the roller.

Use a straightening lotion mixed with serum - this further straightens the hair.

So here's the order I would try:

After your leave in, apply the straightening lotion/serum mix. Prior to rolling, spray the setting lotion.

I like the straightening lotion by Kenra mixed with any serum. The Maxius straightening lotion is also good but may lead to a little bit of flakiness.

I have yet to get a smooth roller set. And I've tried all different serums and gels- and water etc... if you are a type 4 natural ,IMHO, your texture will always win out. My Pics in my Fotki are like yours-OP and every subsequent rollerset has been the same. I have not tried stretching then rollersetting- on dry hair somehow I feel I'll loose too much needed moisture and added moisture will have it revert back.
I also have the same question if anyone has been successful at a smooth roller-set on type 4 natural hair- help us short bus people out:grin:. I'm in twists now but Id like to know for future reference.

Have you tried using setting lotion? A couple of things *might* work.

Use a diluted setting lotion - it will help straighten and smooth your hair prior to putting it on the roller.

Use a straightening lotion mixed with serum - this further straightens the hair.

So here's the order I would try:

After your leave in, apply the straightening lotion/serum mix. Prior to rolling, spray the setting lotion.

I like the straightening lotion by Kenra mixed with any serum. The Maxius straightening lotion is also good but may lead to a little bit of flakiness.

I don't think that's going to work. I'm a 4a and I have not had success with any setting lotion or serum. It's not heavy enough. It's too runny. All it does is make my naps puffy and frizzy. The only thing that will smooth my hair out enough with the rollers is some type of gel. Like Fantasia Gel. But even with that, it's like you have to leave the curls like they are when you take the rollers out. You can't comb through it. And my hair still doesn't smooth out like relaxed hair would from the rollers. You can still see my texture. I think it's just the nature of the naps.

I've heard that curly pudding can be used for rollersets but my hair didn't like it for washing and going. I might try it with the meringue since my hair does well with it for wash and gos.

Last edited:
my sister just purchased the roller setting video by Macherieamour but she’s relaxed and her hair turned out great during the video she mentioned the use of mesh rollers for natural hair versus plastic/magnetic rollers. Macherieamour is not natural and i haven’t tried this yet but HTH good luck

How smooth do you need it to be? I did a test run and got a spiral like this (click for bigger pics):

from a roller on one twist with a small coating of aloe vera gel

It has a little frizz, but it's pretty smooth. No need to obliterate our lovely texture. The key is to do small sections. I would need a lot of rollers. About 50-60, I estimate. And getting them all on my head taut would be difficult. I tried to do it with 30 rollers and it came out just poofy. But on a natural hair care site there are pics of people who have done their whole heads like I did in that first photo and it looks cute and is definitely a wearable style.

I have not done a rollerset yet, so I cannot speak from experience but I think that the nature of 4B natural hair will not get silky straight when rollerset like relaxed hair...

I do think it would be better to do it on stretched dry hair & just moisturize w/ a LITTLE water, aloe or whatever, but not to start of w/ soaking wet or towel dried hair...

Mwedzi...that curl looks soo cute! :yep: I think the way she did it is key...her hair was already dry & stretched from twists and all she added was some aloe...

I will definitely be doing rollersets this Spring/Summer!!!!

NappyRina

I have done rollers sets and sat under the dryer for an hour and it is never smooth, relaxer silky. I don't think it will happen with 4a/b hair.

Thanks ladies. I think I will try two things:
  1. The dry hair spiral coated with aloe. That looks really cute.
  2. Miss Jessie's curly pudding as the "setting lotion". I peeked Caligirl Fotki. She has 4a hair and her set came out really nice.
I will post results later.

I just did my 1st successful rollerset so that's my disclaimer. I am by no means a professional...yet. LOL I did a thread on it yesterday. I also posted a pic of the rollers I used. I put Giovanni leave-in throughout my hair 1st. Then I sectioned my hair in 4ths. This is the only way I know how to rollerset. I started in the back & each 4th I divided in 1/2. Before rolling the half, I poured a little diluted (1/2 & 1/2) Lottabody in my hand & worked it through the section. I started w/the middle of the hair instead of the ends. I wrapped the hair around the roller from the middle down in a spiral like fashion. Then I rolled the rest towards the scalp as tight as possible to get it straight. As I rolled the hair towards the scalp I also wrapped it around the loose end so that it would stay smooth & not revert/frizz. I airdryed overnight & then I oiled each curl w/Vatika as I took each roller out. Also, I do agree that rolling smaller sections of hair definitely makes a difference as well. HTH somebody...

I have 4a/4b hair and I can get it a smooth rollerset if I fingercomb the curls. Using a comb or brush after my hair is dry will cause the set to bush out, however. The key is to rollerset on dripping wet hair before it shrinks up. You also need to use a modereate amount of tention to stretch the hair as you are rolling it. I can let my hair air dry and get smooth looking curls with a air dried roller set. Its just trial, error, and technique.

I agree that smaller parts would make a world of difference.. The few times that I did a rollerset it came out smooth and my roots were wavy..

Plus you might want to use a hood dryer instead of airdrying to get your dry as soon as possible. IMO..

I have 4ab thick hair and I rollersetted my hair last night and it turned out fabulous! I had a twistout and just finger combed it out and rollersetted. I used a water bottle filled with 1 part Lottabody to 4 parts distilled water and that's it. My roots were straight and my ends finally looked decent and straight and felt soft. I forgot how much I used to love rollersets and when I was relaxed I grew my hair to armpit lenght by always dc'ing and rollersetting every week..and this was before I found out about any hairboards.
Oh yeah, I also used end papers with magnetic rollers. My hair is different lengths i'm between collarbone/armpit lenght on the sides and almost brastrap in the back.
You can check my fotki out but I haven't updated in a while to http://fotki.com/genesis132.

IT IS POSSIBLE TO HAVE A NICE ROLLERSET WITH 4ABC HAIR... it's all in the method.

I made sure to roll tight and apply a generous amount of my water bottle mix.

I stated many times that my daughter and myself have great success from rollersetting and I definitely have 4 something hair. The key is tension, limiting the amount of hair on each roller, and having a pretty hot hair dryer. I use keracare foam setting lotion.

I am sooo glad this worked out for you ladies.

I have given up:sad:.​

I dont think I have enough hair to pull for tension. Each and every time I rollerset I end of having a puffy hot mess.

1. I tried the "Super Bowl" rollerset with a little Giovanni Leave in in the hair and the 1/2 water, 1/2 Lottabody and air dry
  2. I tried miss jessies curl cream, then saturated with water under the dryer
  3. I tried a Lottabody mixture and kept saturating my hair with water and sat under the dryer.
I only have 3 inches of hair and it shrinks like I just BC'd yesterday.

I have resorted to wearing a phony pony held on by bobby pins.:ohwell:

Maybe in two years I'l try this again when I grow out of this TWA.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I wont give up Dlove- but Lottabody is a scurrilous curse for my nappy hair- it feels breakable with it- also - I did not get that satiny finish. I just looked like Erica Badu with a really bad hair day. Please noone suggest flat ironing. To me it defeats the purpose of a rollerset.
Genesis- where are your rollersetting pictures? I looked on your Fotki but im nt sure which album

I don't have any pics but what I used on my hair to get my rollersets nice and smooth was lacio lacio. Great stuff!

i just don't think that smooth = natural 4 a or b + rollerset. seems like a foreign concept unless you are doing a whole lotta stuff in between.

I'm not going to say it isnt possible because i've surely seen improvement in my sets, but I wouldnt hold my breath. Products and tension are key and I have yet to see it done on those without a silky texture. Of course I have seen some and gotten a smooth rollerset using Curlformers but they of course are a bit pricey.

I'm still experimenting with rollersets I still get a lots of frizz but I think that less product is the way to go. Last week after DC'ing & a cold water ACV rinse. I used my mix of lottabody, lotta water :lachen:& a small amount of castor oil to saturate each section. I think i'm gonna use even less lotta body next set:yep: because my curls were a little stiff.

2009_02010061.jpg

2009_02010070.jpg

.... I wasn't concerned about str8 roots & flat hair for this set...i'm just working on smoother curls.

I get smooth roller sets on my 4b hair only when I go to the salon...she uses the kerecare or the paul mitchell setting lotion...and she uses a lot of the purple, orange, and gray rollers...I have tried to do this at home ad haven't bee able to yet...I think less hair on the roller and the pull and roll method are key....

Back