So I got my first weave ever...

Aviah

And obviously it was itching the LIFE out of me last night. This is only two days in by the way. I planned to MN while in this full head sew in anyway, but decided to combine it with peppermint oil.

Ooh it was like fresh air on my scalp. Still loving the tingles now, and no itchies (yet). We'll see how long this lasts...

Does anyone know why these things are notorious for itching so badly?

MRJ1972

Braid always itch for some reason....Just make sure you moisturize your scalp, and that should help.

Aviah

Thing is I usually don't put anything on my scalp and I'm okay unless I went overboard on the moisturizers that week. I spray the braids underneath with some moisturizer mixed with water, that will get on the scalp anyway I guess. I just don't want to do that too much, my braids always frizz easily and I don't want a dread to detangle when I take this out!

bluediamond0829

It maybe the hair. The last time i had a weave i could only stand to keep it in for 2 weeks. This year I started using Extensions Plus hair(yea its expensive, but the hair is sooooo nice). My first install was fine hardly noticed any itching, my second install i had some itching and it was because i didnt take a break between the installs long enough--i did have that moment when i called my weave stylist and told her she was going to have to take it out she told me to use some Seabreeze(of course i didnt)--but the itching stopped. I took a break after the 2nd and 3rd install. 3rd install my scalp was so irritated i had to take the hair out in 2 weeks. I was miserable and know matter what i used to stop the itching it didnt help at all. I believe it was the hair.(All during my transition i wore weaves with NO issues from them and I also realized i was using BSS hair) i have also worn braids before too--all during my transition NO issues.).

So yes it can be the hear and i guess they call it the beards of the hair. And again the braids too. i want to go get another weave but im nervous about the itching and what happened the last time. My scalp was so irritated it felt like it was on fire even to let water run through it.....

Your itching should go away soon though..

Beaute Noire

I can never get sewn in weaves with braids underneath...every single time I try it my hair itches so intensely that I end up taking the weave out after 1week :nono:

mzsophisticated26

If the stylist used braiding hair to add to the base then this may be the cause, you can try an ACV rinse to help with the itching. Also if you have beards on the hair( the short pieces of hair on the weft) then those cause itching also.

Kneechay

it depends on the type of hair. My friends have gotten a brand that itched the mess out of them and I ...haven't.

How long has it been since you washed it from the day you got it? My moisturizer mix contained peppermint oil in it, so that helped a lot. Dont be afraid to wash your hair in your sew in and get down deep into your scalp too.

Mzsophisticated is right as well, her suggestions are what id do

DigitalRain

This is why I cant do weaves. I remember years ago I got a weave and my head was itching like a **** :nono: It was ridiculous.