SO LOST--Newbie needing advice

chantille

I really don't know where to start. For the past 4-5 years, I have kept my hair in individual braids, nothing too tight or in for too long, but I never took proper care of them. I would leave them in for 2 months, take them out and self-relax, take a 4-5 day break, and get them again. My hectic school schedule would not allow for me to properly take care of my hair (not a real excuse, but it is what it is), and now it is incredibly dry and very brittle. I currently have braids and will be taking them out in three weeks time, but I am determined to end my dependence on them and start properly taking care of my hair.

I would appreciate any advice on where to start once I take them out. I know I will have to relax my hair afterwards because the ng and shedding is just too unruly, so I would like a "safe" relaxer to use. I figure that I will have to use a deep conditioner and reconstructer. I just want to start stocking up now so I don't have to purchase it all in one weekend.

Protective styles, supplements, regimen and product suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! I am willing to try (and spend, I guess :rolleyes:) anything. Oh, and I am a type 4A with about MBL which will probably be SL by the time everything sheds and breaks off :cry2::wallbash:

Thanks in advance!!

msa

Welcome!

This link may be helpful:
http://longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=255441

It has all the important basic threads, including the newcomer's guide to starting out.

Also, you should visit growafrohairlong.com....it has information about the crown & glory techniques, which is what you've been doing my wearing braids to protect your hair. It also has suggestions on how to take your braids out to limit breakage.

One thing I've noticed on the board is that it's not a good idea to get a relaxer so soon after you take out your braids, usually it's best to wait about 2 weeks. Especially since you know your hair is weak anyway, you should hold off until you've had time to DC with moisture and protein. With MBL hair you can definitely do protective styles (buns, etc.) with your own hair while you work on its health.

This thread has a whole list of deep conditoners, and says whether they're protein or moisture. And, everyone posts how they use them and other useful information.
http://longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=319707

In general you'll probably want to search "stretching" (waiting more than 6 weeks to relax), protein/moisture balance, and protective styling. That way you can read about what people are doing. If you search the member "sistaslick" she has a lot of great articles (links in her siggy) on having healthy relaxed hair, including one on building a regimen and figuring out your protein and moisture balance.

If the search isn't working an easy way to search is use google, for example if you wanted threads on moisture you would type in: "moisture site:longhaircareforum.com". That way it only searches this site.

I'm not relaxed so I can't really give you too much advice. Search and read a lot. Most people come with the same questions so chances are there's already a thread on stuff that you want to know.

I hope this helps! Happy Hair Growing!

HI!!!! Welcome........I'm 4a/b, I have relaxed with mizani and silk elements, but I like mizani, what kind of relaxer do you use, no lye or lye? I would recommend moisturizing products---shampoo, conditioner, etc, I love Hydratherma Naturals Growth Lotion---I love it........the website is www.healthyhairjourney.com. Also I like hairveda, their website is www.hairveda.net. Also try shescentit.com, jane carter hair solutions, if you are into grow aids, try MTG(smells bad, but good growth), MT(mega-tek), OCT(ovation cell therapy)<----I love OCT. I mix mine with Beemine growth serum.....that website is www.beemine.com. For oils, I would suggest, indian oils(oils are used to seal your ends AFTER you put moisturizer on them) a good website is mehndiskinart.com(try the oils and powders), shampoo, I have heard Creme of Nature is good, but the old formula though, design essentials, NTM shampoo and conditioner(good stuff), deep conditioners, I'm not sure.....hair butters, try fromnaturewithlove(I think that's it), they have some good hair butters. Other oils, Olive oil, jojoba oil(great for sealing ends), coconut oil, morrocan oil(good stuff), stretching relaxers pass 8 weeks...vitamins, I take Hairfinity(www.hairfinity.com). Try msm, biotin, multivitamin, ummm Hair Formula 37, just do a search for vitamins, I think that's it, if any questions just ask or search in the search engine....

TheseStankyLegs

Welcome to the forums chantille

Sounds like a lot of manipulation before and AFTER a relaxer.

IMO, you should rest your hair BEFORE and after the relaxer. If it were me, I would try and take down the braids every gently. I then would DC with a deep moisturizing conditioner and relax about 5-7 days later. During this 5-7 day period, I would probably bun and resist any temptation to manipulate the hair and the scalp. Also, I would assess and see when/if my hair is ready to be relaxed. If not, I would wait a week and try DCing again. Then after the relaxer, I would deep condition again with a heavy protein conditioner and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

I am not like the other girls , as I don't believe in supplements for hair growth/retaining. I only believe in a multivitamin, water, and a diet rich in whole grains, water, protein and fruits and veggies. I am sure some of the ladies would recommend Biotin or B150 Complex.

Products that I recommend would be:

Relaxers:
ORS mild relaxer. I hear this is very good for hair that is not in teh healthiest shape.

Deep Moisturizing conditioners:
Herbal Essences Breaks Over Conditioner (I believe has proteins)
Kera Care Humecto
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner (has proteins)
Nexus Keraphix (has proteins)
ORS Replenishing pak (highly, highly recommend, esp after a protein DC)
Mizani Moisterfuse (I believe has keratin)
Elastica QP Intense (base on user ratings)
Motions Moisture Plus
Pantene Intense Moisturizing Conditiner (based on LHCF user ratings)
Nexxus Humectress

Protein Treatments:
Moisture CPR protein (great for newbies in the hair game)
Aphoghee 2 min Reconstructor (hard care, MUST be followed with a moisturizing condish)
Nexxus Emergencee (same as above)
Aveda Damage Remedy Reconstructor
Aphoghee Hardcare
Elucence Conditioner (based on LHCF user ratings)

IMO, when ever possible, I would Deep condition at least weekly until my hair health has improved (usually 4-6 months). This means, sitting under a dryer with a conditioning cap, for 30-40 minutes per session. I like to add oil just to help seal the moisturizing powers on the conditioner.

Hope that helps.

tuffCOOKiE

I would also say GET A NOTEBOOK. You need to make sure to give a detailed description of what worked and what didn't. It won't make sense if you don't..

chantille

Welcome!

This link may be helpful:
http://longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=255441

It has all the important basic threads, including the newcomer's guide to starting out.

Also, you should visit growafrohairlong.com....it has information about the crown & glory techniques, which is what you've been doing my wearing braids to protect your hair. It also has suggestions on how to take your braids out to limit breakage.

One thing I've noticed on the board is that it's not a good idea to get a relaxer so soon after you take out your braids, usually it's best to wait about 2 weeks. Especially since you know your hair is weak anyway, you should hold off until you've had time to DC with moisture and protein. With MBL hair you can definitely do protective styles (buns, etc.) with your own hair while you work on its health.

This thread has a whole list of deep conditoners, and says whether they're protein or moisture. And, everyone posts how they use them and other useful information.
http://longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=319707

In general you'll probably want to search "stretching" (waiting more than 6 weeks to relax), protein/moisture balance, and protective styling. That way you can read about what people are doing. If you search the member "sistaslick" she has a lot of great articles (links in her siggy) on having healthy relaxed hair, including one on building a regimen and figuring out your protein and moisture balance.

If the search isn't working an easy way to search is use google, for example if you wanted threads on moisture you would type in: "moisture site:longhaircareforum.com". That way it only searches this site.

I'm not relaxed so I can't really give you too much advice. Search and read a lot. Most people come with the same questions so chances are there's already a thread on stuff that you want to know.

I hope this helps! Happy Hair Growing!

The newcomer's guide is FABULOUS!! Thanks!

chantille

I would also say GET A NOTEBOOK. You need to make sure to give a detailed description of what worked and what didn't. It won't make sense if you don't..

Just organized a document folder and some Excel files to keep track of EVERYTHING!!

Does anyone have any favorite places they order products from??

Solitude

Welcome

....Your hair is MBL and you wear individual braids?? Wow. Well, I see that everyone has given you some great resources to start with. I just wanted to add that with the right protein/moisture balance, your breakage and shedding may not be as big of a problem as you think. I cut off my "damaged" hair before finding LHCF, but I think that if I had known about proper moisture and using protein, I would not have had to do so.

Also, you mentioned that you would "need" a relaxer, but I don't really understand why. I mean, I am relaxed also, but a relaxer is not going to improve the health of your hair- it should only be applied to your NG. If you are going to be wearing protective styles, you can stretch out your relaxer while you work on the overall health of your hair.

Again, welcome, can't wait to see your progress pictures soon!!!

Solitude

Just organized a document folder and some Excel files to keep track of EVERYTHING!!

Does anyone have any favorite places they order products from??

depends on what you decide to buy, but Sally's, Ulta, and Trade Secret, along with your local CVS have everything your will need to get started. I avoid anything sold exclusively at your local BSS.

mspm

I really don't know where to start. For the past 4-5 years, I have kept my hair in individual braids, nothing too tight or in for too long, but I never took proper care of them. I would leave them in for 2 months, take them out and self-relax, take a 4-5 day break, and get them again. My hectic school schedule would not allow for me to properly take care of my hair (not a real excuse, but it is what it is), and now it is incredibly dry and very brittle. I currently have braids and will be taking them out in three weeks time, but I am determined to end my dependence on them and start properly taking care of my hair.

I would appreciate any advice on where to start once I take them out. I know I will have to relax my hair afterwards because the ng and shedding is just too unruly, so I would like a "safe" relaxer to use. I figure that I will have to use a deep conditioner and reconstructer. I just want to start stocking up now so I don't have to purchase it all in one weekend.

Protective styles, supplements, regimen and product suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! I am willing to try (and spend, I guess :rolleyes:) anything. Oh, and I am a type 4A with about MBL which will probably be SL by the time everything sheds and breaks off :cry2::wallbash:

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Chantille!

I wore braids for years and there are 2 easy things that you can do that I think will dramatically change the condition of your hair:

Spray your braids daily will a braid spray that contains glycerin. If you're adding hair to your braids, try to use human hair or a very soft synthetic (like Softex).

If your hair isn't in good condition, you should wait before your relax it. The braid hair makes microscopic cuts in your natural hair (especially if you're not conditioning). This causes the relaxer to further damage those weak areas). A stylist explained this to me years ago, but I didn't listen and my hair broke badly after I got the relaxer.

Make sure that you don't use a no-lye relaxer. It weakens the hair more than a lye relaxer. Phyto is a very mild relaxer that works well with braids. Also, hair vitamins (especially biotin) will help with the health of your hair.

All the best to you!