Solid Castile Soap

Aviah

Anyone use this? I'm thinking of switching shampoos. The first ingredient is sodium tallowate. Is this more gentle than SLS, and if it is, is it the same as liquid castile soap?

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I use the solid Dr.Bronners soap only when I bathe. I have never used it on my hair. I would rather use the liquid version mixed with oil instead on my hair.

Misshairdiva

I make soap for a living (I have a soap biz) so let me help you out. Sodium tallowate is another word for a mixture of lye and beef tallow. In ALL soap you need lye with an oil. The lye is cooked out.There is no soap without that combination. So, yes it is much more gentle then sls. However, TRUE Castile is made from Olive Oil not beef! Hopefully you will tell me that the only other ingrediant is water..

Aviah

I make soap for a living (I have a soap biz) so let me help you out. Sodium tallowate is another word for a mixture of lye and beef tallow. In ALL soap you need lye with an oil. The lye is cooked out.There is no soap without that combination. So, yes it is much more gentle then sls. However, TRUE Castile is made from Olive Oil not beef! Hopefully you will tell me that the only other ingrediant is water..

Very helpful, thank you! I just saw it in a store once for really cheap and was thinking about it. I have used a soap before that was pure saponified olive oil but it still stripped my hair. Maybe I should have mixed it with more oil?

Misshairdiva

It's all about the ph balance. Even though I make it and use it for EVERYTHING (brushing my teeth, washing dishes, bathing) it is too harsh for my hair because of the ph balance in it. You can try adding oil but as for me, it doesn't do good in my hair. However.. I have friends who are white with oily hair, and it works fine in their hair.