Sore Scalp........

kkamara5

Is this normal?

My scalp is ALWAYS sore and itchy...:perplexed....even after washing/conditioning.....is this normal?.....Im actually beginning to worry.....I dont apply heat.....I'm always (99.7%) protective styling with buns....my hair has been growing like a weed, but I think its more than hair growth.....This sucka actually hurts......Is this normal?

Solitude

Is your hair being pulled tightly in your protective styles? Are you taking any type of medications that could be leading to a more sensitive scalp? Is it dry/itching/flaking? Do you apply any products/oils, etc to your scalp?

What's your regimen? What products do you use on your hair? Could you possible be allergic to something you are using?

Arcadian

I will get growth spurts from time to time and my scalp will get hot and a little tender and generally drive me nuts. (it never itches though) But that may happen 3 time a year for max of 3-4 days. Next thing I know I got a mini fro underneath my relaxed hair, so I don't worry about it.

If this is a true everyday issue and you're getting no relief, then do see a derm about this. It could be something very serious.

In the meantime, you should make sure you don't bun tightly and to take care with manipulation on the scalp especially.

Don't scratch if you can help it. cool water on the scalp sometimes help (heck get you a pack of frozen peas and see if that helps too..it works for me:look:)

Take stock in your hair regimen. Go KISS for a while to see if that helps. Sometimes we do put a little too much on our scalps than it can handle. Could be that you have an allergy toward something you're using up there and KISS method can help to rule that out.

-A

Shoediva

Did you just start to experience this? or have you always had this? if so how long?

when I have hair growth spurts(extreme new growth), My scalp becomes VERY sore and itchy to the point where it hurts but its only in certain spots mostly the sides. It would get to the point where that area will become warm to the touch. soon as I relaxed, it would stop.

kkamara5

Is your hair being pulled tightly in your protective styles? Are you taking any type of medications that could be leading to a more sensitive scalp? Is it dry/itching/flaking? Do you apply any products/oils, etc to your scalp?

What's your regimen? What products do you use on your hair? Could you possible be allergic to something you are using?

I dont think I'm pulling too tightly...It never hurts....:perplexed
The only meds I take are vitamins for overall health.......
Its not flaking...It just hurts while Im combing....my hair is natural so it gets tangled all over the place..

My regimen is kinda KISS....I am involved in a weave it up challenge...so my hair was in plaits under a wig for the past 6 months. I would usually deep condition my hair while in plaits. I use trader joes nourishspa...I use many indian products but I hardly apply anything to my scalp...I just apply the oils to my strands and allow residual amounts to touch my scalp. :perplexed...Thanks for the response

Hmmm... What are you washing & conditioning with? Could be an allergic reaction to SLS.

Oh yes, and definitely see a dermatologist asap!

Thanks!!....I will definitely make an appointment..

I will get growth spurts from time to time and my scalp will get hot and a little tender and generally drive me nuts. (it never itches though) But that may happen 3 time a year for max of 3-4 days. Next thing I know I got a mini fro underneath my relaxed hair, so I don't worry about it.

If this is a true everyday issue and you're getting no relief, then do see a derm about this. It could be something very serious.

In the meantime, you should make sure you don't bun tightly and to take care with manipulation on the scalp especially.

Don't scratch if you can help it. cool water on the scalp sometimes help (heck get you a pack of frozen peas and see if that helps too..it works for me:look:)

Take stock in your hair regimen. Go KISS for a while to see if that helps. Sometimes we do put a little too much on our scalps than it can handle. Could be that you have an allergy toward something you're using up there and KISS method can help to rule that out.

-A

EXCELLENT advise that I will put into play!.....Thank you much.:yep:...

Did you just start to experience this? or have you always had this? if so how long?

I experience it when Im pulling on my strands.

when I have hair growth spurts(extreme new growth), My scalp becomes VERY sore and itchy to the point where it hurts but its only in certain spots mostly the sides. It would get to the point where that area will become warm to the touch. soon as I relaxed, it would stop.

Solitude

I'm thinking you should see a dermatologist, so that they can examine your scalp carefully, and make sure that there isn't a serious condition. Unless you're allergic to something you're using, I can't see why this would be happening. The only thing I can see is that you may not be washing frequently enough when your hair is plaited.

kkamara5

I'm thinking you should see a dermatologist, so that they can examine your scalp carefully, and make sure that there isn't a serious condition. Unless you're allergic to something you're using, I can't see why this would be happening. The only thing I can see is that you may not be washing frequently enough when your hair is plaited.[/QUOTE]

Now that you mention this..It could be 100% accurate...I hardly use shampoo on my hair however I condition it as much as I possibly can....Im sooo busy with school (MSN nursing student) by the time I wash my hair its already been a month past...however my hair does get wet daily while Im showering...and I massage my scalp then..but no conditioning products are added for about a month at a time...Terrible I know...maybe thats the issue..:perplexed but I will definitely make an appointment with my dermatologist....:yep:

supermodelsonya

This happens to me when I'm about to get a huge growth spurt.

I have pics in my profile. When I started taking Biotin my hair did this. Boy did I ever get a growth spurt. I had a sew in at the time and had to take it down after three weeks.

katblack

It could be your bun. My hair used to hurt in the middle of the bun or ponytail. I think it's your scalp getting used to the style, it may take a while. Try experimenting, dont do buns, see what happen. Bobby pin or clip your hair in place instead for a while.

Stepiphanie

I've noticed that many ladies on this board suffer from sore scalps, especially in the crown area. I've heard many theories about what it could be from growth spurt, to coarser section of hair etc. I've experience this as well, and had my own theory that it was relaxer related (in my case) but 8 mths post relaxer I was still experiencing it and found myself wanting a better answer than just random theories. I actually brought it up during my derm visit today and he told me that it could be Follicular Degeneration Syndrome, sometimes known as hot comb alopecia, but it can be caused by many other things including prolonged relaxer use. Though my hair was not thinning or breaking in that area he still gave me cortisone shots as well as a script for a steroidal shampoo. There could be many reasons for your sore scalp, but like some posters mentioned definitely go see a derm, and get a more finite answer.

Here's a link to some info I found on this condition:
http://www.belgraviacentre.com/folliculardegenerationsyndrome.htm

Last edited:

SmartyPants

I'm thinking you should see a dermatologist, so that they can examine your scalp carefully, and make sure that there isn't a serious condition. Unless you're allergic to something you're using, I can't see why this would be happening. The only thing I can see is that you may not be washing frequently enough when your hair is plaited.[/QUOTE]

Now that you mention this..It could be 100% accurate...I hardly use shampoo on my hair however I condition it as much as I possibly can....Im sooo busy with school (MSN nursing student) by the time I wash my hair its already been a month past...however my hair does get wet daily while Im showering...and I massage my scalp then..but no conditioning products are added for about a month at a time...Terrible I know...maybe thats the issue..:perplexed but I will definitely make an appointment with my dermatologist....:yep:

Could it be that you are not completely rinsing the product out when you do wash? I had a problem where I was getting the itchies right after I washed and styled my hair. Then I read a thread where if you don't rinse thoroughly enough the build-up causes an itchy scalp. Since I have been rinsing a lot more, I rarely have an itchy scalp problem.