Soul Mates?

caress

I wanted to know if there is any mention in the Bible of soul mates or a similar concept?

In Genesis God talked about giving Adam a help meet suitable for him. So God put Adam into a deep sleep and took out one of his ribs and made a wo-man. Adam said we he saw her bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh she will be called woman because she was taken out of man. God presented Eve to Adam. When Eve woke she was married. This is a paraphase of the story read Gensis 2:7-8 and 15-22. Everything God gives His children is good for mind, body and spirit. This is why many say soul mate because this person was desgined specifially for them by God. Just like God gives us homes, jobs, families etc. He presents us our mate. We choose to accept His will or follow our own.:)

Last edited:
Does the Bible say anything on how to recognize who your soul mate is though? Sometimes I feel like me & my SO met due to fate (we wouldn't have met during normal circumstances) and then sometimes I feel like the devil put him in my life (of course, when we're fighting :rolleyes: )

I know that the Bible states that marriage between a man and a woman is to be a demonstration of the relationship between Christ and the church.

I don’t think there is an easy way to answer this. I think that when you know, you just know. My husband and I met under fairly normal circumstances: at a block party my freshman year of college. I think there are very few people who would say that we met by “fate”, but if you think about how good God is and how He works you know that there are no coincidences with God. See, I believe that my marriage was ordained by God before me or my husband were even born. God knew which path I would take and which choices I would make. God’s timing is so precise that it just boggles my mind. Think about it: My husband had to be born at just the right time; I had to be born at just the right time. He is five years older than me, but we both had to choose to go to the same college. My husband could have graduated the semester before, but he chose to work full-time and finish in the fall, which just happened to be my freshman year. We both had to be at the same party, at the same time. I had to be standing in just the right spot and so did he. And to take it a step further, I had to wear a certain colored shirt in order for him to notice me. (Long story short, one of his friends knew me and teased me about wearing a pink shirt. I said the shirt was red, then my future husband gets in the conversation……)

God is always working in our lives. I did have other boyfriends and while I don't believe that they were sent from God, I do believe that God works everything together for the good and I learned something from each of them. So, while these other men were not the man God wanted me to marry each experience with them helped push me along the path to prepare me to be the kind of woman I needed to be: stronger and more secure in who I am as a child of God and as a woman.

Continue to seek God and ask Him if this person is the one for you. I guarantee you He will answer you loud and clear.

I definitely believe that people are put in our lives for a reason and I've seen it in my own life but I just wonder if it is possible that there is more than one person out there that would be a suitable match for us.

I wonder about this too at times caress, about there being more than one suitable for us. And I realize that there is one for us. As star said we either follow His will or follow our own and that sometimes can deceive us into believing that there is more than one. But you only have one soulmate. Your heart tells you this.

Great story mrselle,

Caress I agree with mrselle. After looking back over my life, and some of the bad decisions I have made as far as choices in dating. Then there are the people who I didnt really choose, but chose me, all were used for my good in the end, since I will really appreciate that good man when he finally arrives. I think it will be crystal clear when he does. I have learned some very valuable lessson thru each of people I have dated. As far as sole mates are concerned, in the bible it states that God has provided for all things for you, before you even knew you had need of it, when you were not even a thought in your mothers womb. We all have seasons in our life that we have to go thru, periods of singleness, periods of marriage, child bearing, etc. It was God that originally said it is not good that man be alone, so that is why he decided to create Eve after he created Adam. So I believe when God created each of us, he had someone particularly in mind for each of us. Now I think alot of times people get impatient and just have to have "someone". I think its one person that is ideal for each of us, but you have the ability to love many people. I have decided to wait, for what God had planned for me, because I know that its going to be a great gift, custom designed for me :)

Last edited:
BLESSED1 said:
Does the Bible say anything on how to recognize who your soul mate is though? Sometimes I feel like me & my SO met due to fate (we wouldn't have met during normal circumstances) and then sometimes I feel like the devil put him in my life (of course, when we're fighting :rolleyes: )

You shouldn't let fights with your SO keep you from what God has ordained to be in your life. The devil is against anything that is part of God's plan, so naturally he will throw you a curve ball every now and then to plant a seed of doubt in your mind. The devil works most in our minds because if he can control our thoughts and get us all tied up in our emotions then he has won half the battle.

mrselle said:
You shouldn't let fights with your SO keep you from what God has ordained to be in your life. The devil is against anything that is part of God's plan, so naturally he will throw you a curve ball every now and then to plant a seed of doubt in your mind. The devil works most in our minds because if he can control our thoughts and get us all tied up in our emotions then he has won half the battle.

You know my friends have told me this before, to stop impulsively trying to break up w/ my bf because we had a fight, they say he's a good man and it's the devil messing w/ me making me want to break up with him :lol: I've been working on my emotions though...and it's funny that it was mentioned that the man will seek the woman. That was my situation, as he sought me out and under normal circumstances I wouldn't go for "his type" (single father, years older than me, and other quirks of his that I normally wouldn't find to be attractive). I'm just not sure if he's the real one, some of you all know the drama we've been through but I'll keep praying for guidance.

BLESSED1 said:
You know my friends have told me this before, to stop impulsively trying to break up w/ my bf because we had a fight, they say he's a good man and it's the devil messing w/ me making me want to break up with him :lol: I've been working on my emotions though...and it's funny that it was mentioned that the man will seek the woman. That was my situation, as he sought me out and under normal circumstances I wouldn't go for "his type" (single father, years older than me, and other quirks of his that I normally wouldn't find to be attractive). I'm just not sure if he's the real one, some of you all know the drama we've been through but I'll keep praying for guidance.

After reading your last post there are two points that I want to make:

1. Don’t let your friends guilt you into staying with someone you’re not sure of just because they think he is a “good man”. Despite all the statistics there are lots of good men out there and if your current SO is not “the one” then God will bring the right one to you. When you meet “the one” you will know it. There won’t be any questions, doubts, or confusion because is not the author of confusion. So, it doesn’t matter what your friends think. Its ok to get input from your friends, but remember that its your life and no one can live your life for you. Do what is right for you. Out of all my friends only one of them thought that my husband was the man for me and the only reason she thought that was because God had to show it to her.

2. Just because you have arguments doesn’t mean he isn’t the one. It’s ok to have arguments every now and then. I think society teaches us that a perfect relationship is when a man rides in on a white horse with no issues and the two of you ride off into the sunset, problem and argument free. There is no such thing as a perfect relationship, but there is such thing as a perfect relationship for you. What is good for you may not be a good for the next person and vice versa. I’ve come to learn that being a wife is like a calling. There is no other woman who could handle my husband and that is why God gave my husband me as his wife. There is no other man who could handle all my issues, that is why God gave me the man who is my husband. There are certain things I have to deal with that no other woman could deal with as well as I do (being a stepparent, having mean in-laws, creating a loving and comfortable home for a man who has a high pressure job just to name a few). That is why it is so important to let God show you who your mate is. You are beautifully and wonderfully made and as long as you stay in God’s will for your life he will equip you with everything you need to be a good wife to the man you marry.

Last edited:
mrselle said:

1. Don’t let your friends guilt you into staying with someone you’re not sure of just because they think he is a “good man”. Despite all the statistics there are lots of good men out there and if your current SO is not “the one” then God will bring the right one to you. When you meet “the one” you will know it. There won’t be any questions, doubts, or confusion because is not the author of confusion. So, it doesn’t matter what your friends think. Its ok to get input from your friends, but remember that its your life and no one can live your life for you. Do what is right for you. Out of all my friends only one of them thought that my husband was the man for me and the only reason she thought that was because God had to show it to her.

2. Just because you have arguments doesn’t mean he isn’t the one. It’s ok to have arguments every now and then. I think society teaches us that a perfect relationship is when a man rides in on a white horse with no issues and the two of you ride off into the sunset, problem and argument free. There is no such thing as a perfect relationship, but there is such thing as a perfect relationship for you. What is good for you may not be a good for the next person and vice versa. I’ve come to learn that being a wife is like a calling. There is no other woman who could handle my husband and that is why God gave my husband me as his wife. There is no other man who could handle all my issues, that is why God gave me the man who is my husband. There are certain things I have to deal with that no other woman could deal with as well as I do (being a stepparent, having mean in-laws, creating a loving and comfortable home for a man who has a high pressure job just to name a few). That is why it is so important to let God show you who your mate is. You are beautifully and wonderfully made and as long as you stay in God’s will for your life he will equip you with everything you need to be a good wife to the man you marry.

I enjoyed reading this.

mrselle said:

you are doing the darn thing w/ the advice honey, and I thank you greatly for it :kiss:

Caress, sorry for the hijack! But you know I already pm'ed you w/ a little advice so hopefully you'll forgive me :look:

MsCrystal said:
I wonder about this too at times caress, about there being more than one suitable for us. And I realize that there is one for us. As star said we either follow His will or follow our own and that sometimes can deceive us into believing that there is more than one. But you only have one soulmate. Your heart tells you this.

I hope this isn't true because if thats the case my soul mate got engaged to me, dumped me and married someone else years ago :lol:

It reminds me of something I would like some opinions on since we are on the subject that definately blows the whole soul mate idea to hades.

I was a member of a church for a couple years, moved away and had not been in a few years. I heard that the Pastors wife of 32 years had died. Shortly, I mean SHORTLY afterwards, I heard he'd remarried. I still had friends at the church and go back sometimes and one Sunday I went and asked one of my friends how his wife passed etc. and when he'd remarried. She said he remarried 3 months later, to a woman in the church of course.

This did not sit right with me. I asked her how the women in the church took it and did anyone have anything to say about it. Was I just trippin :confused: She said some were upset but she was happy. She said after his wife died the church turned into a meat market you could not get a seat for women coming from other churches to 'fellowship' and hear the word. Women in and out of the church were throwing themselves at him. Now this pastor is handsome, outgoing and annointed. A seemingly good catch for a Chrisitian woman so I can imagine how it was.

I asked her how can you love and be devoted to someone for over 30 years and then they die and you turn right around and marry someone else. I know it's done but this is in the church and he's supposed to be marrying for the RIGHT reasons and know better. How could you have those feelings that tell you you want to be with this person for the rest of your life when for the last 30 odd years up until 3 months ago you felt that way about someone else?

The relevant part:

She said: how do you know he loves her? maybe God put her there because he needed that armor to protect him from all those women throwing themselves at him. I'm like what? I know he's human but shouldnt he be stronger than that? As a pastor you couldn't hold the victory for 3 months you had to hurry up and get married? To what, keep from fornicating? maybe God did send her I don't know.

Then I said: well I could never marry someone I didn't love. That sounds like a miserable long haul and I dont see how it could possibly last indefinately.

She said: I was romanticizing it and not looking at marriage the way that it was intended. She basically said that the partnership serving God is more important and that God MAY bless the marriage later with the 'love' feelings and that ANY marriage between ANY two people could work if she agrees I am going to be a WIFE and he agrees he is going to be a HUSBAND.

I'm like yeah technically I guess but... Iono

What do yall think?

sprungonhairboards said:
I hope this isn't true because if thats the case my soul mate got engaged to me, dumped me and married someone else years ago :lol:

It reminds me of something I would like some opinions on since we are on the subject that definately blows the whole soul mate idea to hades.

I was a member of a church for a couple years, moved away and had not been in a few years. I heard that the Pastors wife of 32 years had died. Shortly, I mean SHORTLY afterwards, I heard he'd remarried. I still had friends at the church and go back sometimes and one Sunday I went and asked one of my friends how his wife passed etc. and when he'd remarried. She said he remarried 3 months later, to a woman in the church of course.

This did not sit right with me. I asked her how the women in the church took it and did anyone have anything to say about it. Was I just trippin :confused: She said some were upset but she was happy. She said after his wife died the church turned into a meat market you could not get a seat for women coming from other churches to 'fellowship' and hear the word. Women in and out of the church were throwing themselves at him. Now this pastor is handsome, outgoing and annointed. A seemingly good catch for a Chrisitian woman so I can imagine how it was.

I asked her how can you love and be devoted to someone for over 30 years and then they die and you turn right around and marry someone else. I know it's done but this is in the church and he's supposed to be marrying for the RIGHT reasons and know better. How could you have those feelings that tell you you want to be with this person for the rest of your life when for the last 30 odd years up until 3 months ago you felt that way about someone else?

The relevant part:

She said: how do you know he loves her? maybe God put her there because he needed that armor to protect him from all those women throwing themselves at him. I'm like what? I know he's human but shouldnt he be stronger than that? As a pastor you couldn't hold the victory for 3 months you had to hurry up and get married? To what, keep from fornicating? maybe God did send her I don't know.

Then I said: well I could never marry someone I didn't love. That sounds like a miserable long haul and I dont see how it could possibly last indefinately.

She said: I was romanticizing it and not looking at marriage the way that it was intended. She basically said that the partnership serving God is more important and that God MAY bless the marriage later with the 'love' feelings and that ANY marriage between ANY two people could work if she agrees I am going to be a WIFE and he agrees he is going to be a HUSBAND.

What do yall think?

hmmm... it does make you think. But I'm just not sure about this. And I still think you only have one soul mate... :) But you can have a whole lotta loves... maybe that makes my earlier statement worse.

sprungonhairboards said:

The relevant part:

What do yall think?

Interesting points your friend makes.

Three months after your spouse’s death is awfully soon to re-marry, but we don’t know the whole story. Had his first wife been sick for a long time? If that’s the case maybe during the time he was taking care of her he was in mourning and once she died there was closure and he was able to move on and continue living his life. My aunt died from cancer almost four years ago and while she maintained a pretty good quality of life until the last three months of her life, we all knew that she would probably not make it. The last month of her life was exhausting for all of us physically and emotionally. None of us were eating or sleeping very well, my parents were doing a lot of driving back and forth because once the cancer spread to her brain she couldn’t drive. There were doctor’s appointments to go to, treatments to give, her house needed to be cleaned, bills needed to be taken care of and we were all in a race to get her last will and testament done because she had a lot of money and assets and didn’t feel like her son was emotionally mature enough to handle everything that she would leave to him. I say all that to say that while her death was devastating, once she did pass on there was a little bit of relief because we knew she wasn’t suffering anymore and we could all try to get back some sense of normalcy in our lives. Maybe that is what happened with the pastor. Also, no one knows if he and his wife discussed what he should do in the event of her death. No one knows if they discussed it, prayed on it and decided that it would be best for him to move on as quickly as possible. No one really knows what is going on behind the scenes.

On the other hand, I’m not sure I buy into the statement that maybe they aren’t in love and God told him to marry her so he wouldn’t be in danger of sinning. I believe that God can keep us from anything if we are willing to be kept and to step into a marriage where there is no love goes against what the Bible says concerning marriage and God’s intent for it. Marriage is an outward expression of Christ’s love for the church. Jesus LOVED the church.

As far as your friend saying that you are “romanticizing” marriage and I think God does intend for all of us to be in marriages where there is romance and passion. We are to love unconditionally, “ in good times and bad, in sickness and in health, till death do us part.” While bad times, sick times, and certainly death are not “romantic” its part of marriage. I can’t imagine saying my vows to a man whom I didn’t have any kind of romantic or passionate feelings for. To me that is just one of the many things that makes marriage to the one God has for you so awesome.

sprungonhairboards said:

Yeah....I know what you mean. I met and dated my soul mate, but we fell out in the end. Other people are saying that there still might be hope for us....but I know otherwise. Will I ever find that perfect match again? Or have I just lost out?

Back