Southern- W. Indian- Haitian Grandmother's Recipes

Mahalialee4

Southern- W. Indian- Haitian Grandmother\'s Recipes

I was talking with a cousin (who has 4ab waistlength hair), very thick, (sigh!) and we were talking about the things our grannies used on the hair and scalp back in the day, like 1800's early 1900's that a few still use today out in the country. Three things came up. Sulphur, pine tar, lanolin (NOT the refined thick stuff that you could never hope to remove---but the soft, rendered fat consistency that spreads easily). Anyway, she talked about the pure vegetable pine tar that was used for scalp problems. I have started using a pine tar soap, (Grandpa's brand Pine Tar Soap made from a 100 year old recipe. It comes from the Ozarks in the US.)I came across this bar soap at an E. Indian store by the way and I loved what it did to my hair. It was so soft afterward and wasn't stripped even though I lathered up three times. It lathers well in hard or soft water and already has moisturizing oils in the soap. I give it a thumbs up so far. I will be using this soap as my clarifying soap as it removed all the buildup from the glycerine products, vaseline (that I use on the ends)etc., and my hair was so thick and fluffy after. I rinsed with AVC and water mixture. She also mentioned them using the yellow sulphur. She and I both were remarking on how thick our Aunties' and Grandmothers' hair was and strong!!! It was like fine wire. Do any of you have those conversations with older relatives and heard of any interesting recipes and things (POSITIVE) they did for their hair? If anyone has West Indian or Haitian Grandmothers etc. do you know how they made their BLACK castor oil that makes it so dark and strong smelling? I understand that they cooked up batches of the stuff and that it is potent. Does anyone know what the ingredients are? I was told that they make it in Dominique and in St. Lucia and that you can buy it there as well. Hope that I hear from a lot of you. This could prove to be both interesting and beneficial. I plan to check out some of the soap making guilds here about getting some specialty soaps made for me. Later.
Bonjour

ccd

Re: Southern- W. Indian- Haitian Grandmother\'s Rec

Well, I'm of haitian decent and lived with my grandmother so she definitely told me to take care of my hair by....tying it up at night, braiding it and mositurizing it " don't let it dry out" I can still hear her
I don't know about the castor oil recipe but I remember...moelle de boeuf but that's Cow's Bone Marrow .....I'll ask my fam about the castor oil....

Tracy

Re: Southern- W. Indian- Haitian Grandmother\'s Recipes

In the Latin culture it's Olive Oil.

In my West Indian Background it's Castor Oil.

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army

That's funny cause I was trying to find research on pine tar this morning. I've used the soaps and shampoos (as a youngster) and I'm looking to add it into my wash routine. I think Neutragena even has a "tar shampoo", but I'll check with Whole Foods first.

Here's a site the sells the Black Castor Oil. http://www.jamaicaplace.com/health_traditional.htm

ananas

second the castor oil sentiment here - my mom used to go to the market and get the thick, dark, nutty smelling castor oil - and she used to oil my scalp with it and put a plastic (scandal) bag on my head - so that it could be 'steamed'.

we used to use tuna (a type of aloe vera plant) to wash the hair - left it very soft and managable.

once a week my hair would be washed,oiled and put into 'chinee bumps' or nubian knots overnight and then taken out for school on monday morning. Soft hair!

the only thing that i have taken away from my family's hair habits is the castor oil - the caramel coloured one that you get at health shops for a laxative - i mix it with conditioner and use it as a leave in.

for skin - well... that's a whole 'nother story.

yours

ana

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

What are the ingredients in the Pine Tar soap bar? I've been looking for a shampoo bar to try. I've seen Grandpa's Pine Tar Shampoo at the hfs, but it has sls in it.

ananas

wha...? memories (jamaicanplace.com)! i do remember taking seven seas cod liver oil - i've just started a codliver oil suppliment actually...

yours
ana

fancypants007

Hey Sassygirl,

I bought the Pine Tar Shampoo by Heritage and i used it this past weekend and it made my hair very soft. This is what the company has to say about it as well as the ingredients. Hope this helps!

"Pine tar has long been known for its ability to soothe dry, itchy skin and stimulate the scalp's circulation. Edgar Cayce recommended this type of scalp conditioning shampoo for healthy hair. Nourishing Pine Tar Shampoo is an effective, cleansing alternative to harsh medicated shampoos. You'll feel the difference as this natural moisturizing formula gives hair body and shine without drying the scalp. Certified. Usage: Lather, rinse, repeat. For best results, allow to remain in hair for five minutes before rinsing. This shampoo is excellent for general use as well as for most common scalp problems. Our convenient pump dispenser adapts it nicely for hand soap use."

Salicylic Acid 2%. Water, Alkyl Ether Sulfates (sudsing agents), Coconut Oil Amides, Pine Tar, and Silver Nitrate.

teerama

Hot Mama!

I have never posted here before but am a faithful lurker. I had to respond to this one. My family is from St. Lucia and yes Castor Oil is very big there for healthy hair. I am not talking about the stuff you can get in a health food store this is the dark brown, smelly, thick stuff. I dont know how they prepare but I usually ask my mom to bring me some whenever she goes home. I have some in the house and as a matter of fact, ever since I got married (3 years) I stopped using it--the smell.

I am definitely going to start using it again. My aunt used to use it as a hot oil treatment before shampooing and/or put it in their conditioner. Speaking of the Cow Bone's Marrow, I sometimes use a deep conditioner called Bone Marrow and I add the castor oil to that. come to think of it, my hair was its best then!!! Thanks for reminding me! Also, I remember I had a Haitian babysitter as a child. Under her care, I had pretty, thick hair. She used DAX grease in my hair. The black one-I believe it is the one with Pine Tar. It did not smell too good either but hey, it works!!!

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army

The neutrogena poos also have sls. The regular poo has .5% pine tar and the maximum strength has 1% pine tar
Neutrogena T/Gel Original Shampoo
Ingredients: 2% Neutar Solubilized Coal Tar Extract (0.5% Coal Tar), Purified Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Laureth-4, Fragrance, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA

Mahalialee4

I am really curious. Why are they able to get the thick dark smelly stuff? Is this Castor oil with something else added? like cod liver oil or what? Could someone ask what the whole ingredients are in that black c. oil? Bonjour

JazzAngel

Mahalialee, I dont think that anything is added to the Castor oil. I just asked a friend who said that the nuts are rosted then grounded and cooked. If it is light brown, other oils may have been added to it.

I could ask my mother in the morning how it is prepared. I also love the castor oil form St. Lucia, its not like what you get in the stores here.

Many swear that it helps the hair to grow faster and fuller. I used to apply it as a hot oil treatment one a week and yes I found that my hair grew alot fuller.

Tracy

I'm gonna ask my Mom too
The oils she used were dark as well. I also took cod liver oil religiously as a child and recently started back again.

Chinee Bumps...wow....I remember those days....that was a Saturday night ritual for church in the AM.

JazzAngel

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
I'm gonna ask my Mom too
The oils she used were dark as well. I also took cod liver oil religiously as a child and recently started back again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too!

Mahalialee4

Yes. please do ask. I was in the West Indies at Christmas time and could not find it anywhere. I was told that it was a special made product and which Islands were most likely to have it because we do not make it here for sale. So that is how I knew about those other places. Yes, lay out the recipe girls because I really want to know what I am looking for because the first chance I get to have the real McCoy, when I leave the islands they are going to have a lot of my dollars!!! Bonjour

Mahalialee4

Some of my grandmother side ancestors used bear grease because it is so soft and talk about thick hair. I have eaten bear meat, but I have never used the grease. I am going to try it one day though, but it is really smelly I hear. But what have I got to lose? I have used Wildgrowth!!!lololo!
Bonjour

Valerie

I use castor oil, every night on my scalp, I mix it with olive oil. I mix my rinses with aloe vera gel and glycerine.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

[ QUOTE ]
queenofmean68 said:
Pine Tar? Are there any products in the BSS that have it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Off the top of my head...

Glover's grease and has pine tar in it. I'm not sure about the shampoo. Frenchee makes a grease and a shampoo with pine tar. BB (Bronner Brothers) makes a pine tar grease. Fancypants just mentioned the Heritage brand. I've never seen it, though.

I'm not a grease person. I'm going to check out the Grandpa brand at the health food store. I really want to try that shampoo bar.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

[ QUOTE ]
Mahalialee4 said:
I am really curious. Why are they able to get the thick dark smelly stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I get the Tropic Isle brand from Jamaicaplace.com. The only ingredient is raw unfiltered Jamaican black castor oil. The bottle says It's "made the traditional way by the country folks of Jamaica". But it's bottled and distributed in the Bronx.

elite_chiq

There castor oil is already naturally black and strong, my grandad was telling me (he's from jamaica)...,y ,o,s fro, Ja two and she religiously used african pride indian hemp her and my grandma from ja. Theres hairs always being long and thick.

Koffie

The products that you all are mentioning contain some of the same ingredients to the ones being used on the STINKY CHALLENGE.

happylocks

thats just want I was going to say Wingtoe, lol the sulfur, just keeps me more sure that it works for something,

Mahalialee4

well the good news is now I know that the Black Castor Oil at Jamaica Place is the right Black Castor Oil I am looking for. I got some castor oil labeled Black Castor Oil in Toronto but it was a refined mixture not the pure one made in Ja.... not the same as the one you showed. Thank You so much.
Bonjour

Mahalialee4

Oh yes, forgot...so the Tropic Isle raw unfiltered castor oil that is shown in the picture is the real dark colored, real strong smelling one, right?...because if so I will place an order to that site. Please confirm...Bonjour.

Growingitlong

I am from the island of Dominca and yes cstor oil is use on hair here. Many attest to the csstor oil growing their thin hair thick. My mom never use it as such but my dad made it one summer and I started using it in my hair. My h air grew quite thick that summer. I have been meaning to go back to it since I started my hair growing campaigne but somehow got into experimenting with some of the products you you guys brag about and forgot about good old castor oil. I am going to get some of the nice dark thick castor oil at the market next week. I plan to add a couple drops of peppermint to it. Grow hair, GROW!!!

A friend of my mine with full long thick hair told me her hair use to be thin and short until she went to live with her grandmother. Her grandmother used castor oil on her hair. She swears by it.

cutebajangirl

Just coming in to say that Dominicans have some great hair. thick as all get out. Growingitlong-how do you use the Castor Oil.