Spinoff: What Do You Use To Secure Your Ponytail?

What do you use to secure your ponytail?

• Plain Rubberband

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Ouchless Elastic Band

Votes: 113 66.1%
  • Scrunchie

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • Other, please specify

Votes: 31 18.1%

• Total voters

prospurr4

I've been thinking about wearing ponytails more. I think they can be really easy and pretty, especially with cute accessories. However, I am concerned about possible breakage from not securing my pony correctly.

So, if you wear a ponytail often (relating to Isis' thread from earlier today), how do you secure it? Do you add extra moisturizer or oil around the secured area to protect it? Do you vary positions?

Thanks for your responses.

Last edited:

JusPhabulous40

I only use Scunni (hope I spelled it right!) clips for my ponytails. They hold my hair without ripping any strands out. I get them from Wal-mart, Walgreens or Target.

To moisturize, I'll use a little ORS Olive Oil Cream (from Walgreens) and if my hair is really dry, I add some Olive Oil right out of the bottle.

prospurr4

Thanks for your response, JusPhabulous. I will look for these the next time I'm at Walmart or Target. I never wear ponytails but would like to start wearing them for variety. I thought about just using plain rubberbands, but the more I read, the more I think that's not a good idea.:nono:

Isis

I have a few skinny, satiny scrunchies which I love as well as larger, silk scrunchies I bought from www.tenderheaded.com . I don't wear the large ones too much anymore.

I also have Scunci Hair Hosiery bands but they are too tight, IMO for a single ponytail, best for ponytail rollersetting (where I would make 8 or more ponytails). The skinny, satin scrunchies are just right and I can even clip or pin jewelry on them to make a pretty accessory. :)

kiesha8185

I don't really wear my hair in ponies too much, but if I go out I wear ouchless scrunchies. If I'm airdrying my hair in a big ol braid for wavy ends, I always use pantyhose. They are much more gentle on my hair, and they never pull my hair out.

TLC1020

I wear a clear hair ball, twist the excess hair then apply satin scrunchie.... You can take a look at my fotki to get a better idea, this is what I call my ponytail bun...

Isis

I don't really wear my hair in ponies too much, but if I go out I wear ouchless scrunchies. If I'm airdrying my hair in a big ol braid for wavy ends, I always use pantyhose. They are much more gentle on my hair, and they never pull my hair out.
I've cut out pantyhose also for safe ponytails holders. :yep:

prospurr4

I have a few skinny, satiny scrunchies which I love as well as larger, silk scrunchies I bought from www.tenderheaded.com . I don't wear the large ones too much anymore.

I also have Scunci Hair Hosiery bands but they are too tight, IMO for a single ponytail, best for ponytail rollersetting (where I would make 8 or more ponytails). The skinny, satin scrunchies are just right and I can even clip or pin jewelry on them to make a pretty accessory. :)

Thanks, Isis. I did a search for Scunci Hair Hosiery and see that their sold at Walgreens. They look very "hair friendly." I will check them out.

Thanks kiesha. I kinda leaning toward the scrunchies. By the way, your hair looks very pretty in your siggy; great progress.

prospurr4

I wear a clear hair ball, twist the excess hair then apply satin scrunchie.... You can take a look at my fotki to get a better idea, this is what I call my ponytail bun...

I checked out your fotki; your hair is very pretty. The hair ball is a good idea. Thanks, TLC.

kiesha8185

Thanks, Isis. I did a search for Scunci Hair Hosiery and see that their sold at Walgreens. They look very "hair friendly." I will check them out.

Thanks kiesha. I kinda leaning toward the scrunchies. By the way, your hair looks very pretty in your siggy; great progress.

Thank you :blush::grin:

Leahelizabth

I have to agree with the pantyhose, once those bad boys get a run, I know I've got a brand new supply of ponytail holders!

Traycee

I use elastic head bands b/c my hair is thick and I can wrap it around my ponytail more times.

http:////i14.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/c6/03/5077_1_sbl.JPG

wheezy807

I use ouchless elastic bands also. I try not to wrap the band around no more than three times most of the time.

kitkat3ny

I use one of those turtle shell clips with the plastic on the inside. I do believe it's responsible for pulling out a whole section in the back of my hair.

Cichelle

I don't like pulling my length through a scrunchie. I prefer something I can tie on or wrap around without having to pull my hair through a couple of times. I love my satin scrunchies but I'm trying to get away from using them.

I can use my large ficcare sometimes if I put it on while my hair is slightly damp. I have a couple of other plastic hair accessories that are similar to a ficcare which work okay, too. I am now getting into using plain silk or satin ribbons which can simply be tied on and untied without damaging or manipulating the hair too much.
I just learned of something called "trash ties" on another forum and I ordered one to give it a try. They wrap around the hair to secure it and don't have metal fastenings or anything like that.

I'm always searching for something hair safe and pretty to fasten my hair.

prospurr4

I don't like pulling my length through a scrunchie. I prefer something I can tie on or wrap around without having to pull my hair through a couple of times. I love my satin scrunchies but I'm trying to get away from using them.

I can use my large ficcare sometimes if I put it on while my hair is slightly damp. I have a couple of other plastic hair accessories that are similar to a ficcare which work okay, too. I am now getting into using plain silk or satin ribbons which can simply be tied on and untied without damaging or manipulating the hair too much.
I just learned of something called "trash ties" on another forum and I ordered one to give it a try. They wrap around the hair to secure it and don't have metal fastenings or anything like that.

I'm always searching for something hair safe and pretty to fasten my hair.

Exactly, Cichelle. I would love to have something that I didn't have to pull my length through. I don't have nearly the amount of length that you have, but as my hair grows, something that just goes around the hair at the base of the ponytail would be great. Where can I find these "trash ties" that you speak of? Thanks for your response.

prospurr4

Thanks so much for all your responses, ladies.

Don't know if this site was previously posted...but once you find a pony holder, these accessories are so cute I wouldn't mind wearing a ponytail.

Actually, doesn't matter whether I mind wearing a ponytail or not, if that's what it takes for protective styles, then ponytails it is:grin:

http://www.longhairgirl.com/Categor...oogle&gclid=CIfx76rZtJACFRE_OAodt0qgMg&page=2

Thanks for the link, It~Can~Grow. There's some pretty holders on this site.:yep:

Cichelle

Exactly, Cichelle. I would love to have something that I didn't have to pull my length through. I don't have nearly the amount of length that you have, but as my hair grows, something that just goes around the hair at the base of the ponytail would be great. Where can I find these "trash ties" that you speak of? Thanks for your response.

http://www.shop.trashties.com/main.sc

I haven't tried them yet. I'm waiting for my order, so I can't give a review. I got this info from TLHC.