split ends

locabouthair

lately ive been noticing more split ends. i don't know why because i haven't used heat in 4 months and i trimmed a couple of weeks ago. i haven't had a strong protein treatment in a while. are split ends a sign that the hair is weak? if so should i use an aphogee treatment?

pretty-girl#1

Hey girl,
I'm so sorry about the split ends, I know how aggervating that can be. How often do you wear your hair down? It could be that your hair has been rubbing up against clothing or something of that nature. How often do you moisturize your ends? I would suggest wearing your ends in a protective style where they can be moist all day and night until they're back to being healthy. Also, after you moisturize use your favorite oil to seal them! Good luck, and let me know what you do to rectify this situation.

Vintagecoilylocks

I let my hair dry naturally but not loose. The rapid evaporation from your ends will leave them dryer. Also the ends are older and need extra care to maintain the health they had when they first emerged from your scalp. Its like a nice piece of furniture. First cut wood is beautiful and still moist. If not protected in time it will dry and turn grey and be brittle. So you have to give back to your ends the moisture and then protect them to keep it in. If that means a cycle of protective styles or a special regimine for the lower parts of you hair then thats what you need. Good luck.

joyous

Have you thought about trying the baggie method for a while? I just did this for the last ten days. I slathered my wet ends with vaseline, (idea from Adrienne) and put a baggie over them. I only had to take it off and rewet and reapply vaseline every other day. The result, well moisturized ends and no breakage. Below is a link to an old thread abou it.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=15780&page=13&pp=10

Last edited:

foxybrownsugar

Bad Hair Brushes And Excessive Brushing Can Cause Splits Too. Alot Of People Dont Brush At All (my Friend) Cuz Her Hair Is Fine And Soft She Only Combs With Wide Teeth. IF YOU MUST BRUSH USE A BBB.

locabouthair

joyous said:
Have you thought about trying the baggie method for a while? I just did this for the last ten days. I slathered my wet ends with vaseline, (idea from Adrienne) and put a baggie over them. I only had to take it off and rewet and reapply vaseline every other day. The result, well moisturized ends and no breakage. Below is a link to an old thread abou it.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=15780&page=13&pp=10

actually i just started doing the baggie yesterday with a phony pony. i plan on doing this until next may.( a long time, i know) but i will wash once a week and redo the baggie about twice a week. hopefully the baggie will help with the split ends and i'll retain more length.

joyous

locabouthair said:
actually i just started doing the baggie yesterday with a phony pony. i plan on doing this until next may.( a long time, i know) but i will wash once a week and redo the baggie about twice a week. hopefully the baggie will help with the split ends and i'll retain more length.

Personally, I don't think that's a unreasonable amount of time. A lot of the ladies do this daily for months and it has helped them to retain major length, without a lot of ends damage. Good luck and happy hair growing.