Protective Style = Split Ends

KinksnCurlz

I haven't had my ends trimmed in a while
but I haven't needed to because my ends were not brittle nor split (they use to be so brittle I would get them trimmed all of the time). BUT now, I have been noticing a few split ends and I wear my hair in a protective style (bun) every single day. Granted, I don't oil my ends every day but like I said, they are not brittle, they appear quite shiny and soft to the touch. My question is this, HOW did my ends split if they are 'protected' on a daily basis? Did I do something wrong? Or is it that everyone can expect to see some split ends because they are neverending...

NAY007

well my experience is that this year i had a trim in february. then i went from february until 11 oct without a single trim. and i never went this long before in my life without a trim. the reason for this is that i always used more heat on my hair. this year from feb - oct i think i used heat on my hair maybe 3 or 4 times. i always oil my ends and wear protective styles.
maybe you should really oil your ends every day..it helps a LOT.

debyjay

I fold my hair under into a kinda french roll thingy and stick a comb in it to hold it, well I got to thinking that bending my hair everday into shape can't be good coz it will become fragile after a while. My ends are now quite tragic looking now and I can't wait for the 26th when I get a touch-up and TRIM. Oh and I moisturize my ends every day with mango butter.

Honi

There is no board.
What kind of comb do you use? Is it seamless. Sometimes poor quality combs and brushes (well I don’t know how many people still use a brush) can contribute to split ends. Perhaps frequent dusting will keep them at bay? Are you moisturizing just your ends or your length AND ends? Perhaps your ends are drying out because your length is sucking up all the moisture from your ends when you put it up in your protective style.

inthepink

You said you only have a few split ends? I would think a few split ends are natural. I would think it's impossible to not have any split ends even with protective styles and moisturizing ends. Since you only have a few, I'd say that what you've been doing has been working and the splits you have now are just "natural." imo

soulchild

It just might be natural. Try and use the least amount of manipulation possible to style. Be extra gentle when detangling. And use a moisture product daily.

adrienne0914

i agree with hairlove. i think that eventually split ends are inevitable. i figure if you only NEED to trim your hair every now and then, you're on the right track.