Steamers: I got a question about your routine

BlackHairDiva

Ladies,

I have a question, about adding a steaming into my regimen and I'm not sure how I'm gonna make it fit.I'm really determine to obtain a steamer. I've kind of stalled on getting one. I have gut feeling it will be very beneficial...Especially during winter with the right oils and conditioners.

I know a lot of you apply oil to your hair then steam...Others apply conditioners, oils and them steam.

here are my questions:

1) Once the steaming part (15-20 mins) is done. Then what you rinse with a conditioner , or oil rinse or what???

2) How long do you steam? 15- 20 mins?

3) How many times per week/ months do you do this? I'm thinking of going once a month.

please share tips.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Hi!

I usually steam x2 per week for about 20-30 minutes or longer if necessary.

I steam with a DC'er. I think I may have steamed once or twice with Oil, but usually a Deep Conditioner with maybe Coffee underneath or a Oil..

I rinse after it's cooled down and use a ACV Rinse to seal & close cuticle.

I Steam all Year Around

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
I steam with a DC for about 40min. Then cover with plastic cap for an hour or two. Once a week with dirty hair, because I don't have time to be jumping in and out of showers. I then co-wash as usual.

Danie26

I steam with a DC for about 40min. Then cover with plastic cap for an hour or two. Once a week with dirty hair, because I don't have time to be jumping in and out of showers. I then co-wash as usual.

I agree... Ain't nobody got time for that!
I steam with my huetiful for about 30 mins 1x a month. I usually steam with a DC then cowash after. The rest of the month I do overnight (or all day) DC's

mrs.reese

So do you all put a plastic cap on when steaming, or do you just have your hair loose and down? I am planning on getting a steamer from Sams club.

ToSelahWithLove

1) Once the steaming part (15-20 mins) is done. Then what you rinse with a conditioner , or oil rinse or what???
I rinse with cold water and a final rinse of my water+ACV mix

~40 minutes, which is 2 Huetiful steaming cycles. I re-condition in the middle

3) How many times per week/ months do you do this? I'm thinking of going once a month.
When I'm being good? 1x a week. When I'm being lazy, 1x a month

I have the Huetiful Steamer. The price is really high for just a small table-top steamer (I should have got a stand-alone while on sale. It would have been cheaper and more functional.) But steaming is still hands-down thing I can do for my hair. The difference before and after steaming is crazy for me.

I section my hair with big clips, apply my conditioners in sections, and sit under the steamer with no cap. I don't use oils because my hair can't stand them. I also do my protein treatments under the steamer (joico kpak, etc) HTH!

smores

Ladies,

I have a question, about adding a steaming into my regimen and I'm not sure how I'm gonna make it fit.I'm really determine to obtain a steamer. I've kind of stalled on getting one. I have gut feeling it will be very beneficial...Especially during winter with the right oils and conditioners.

I know a lot of you apply oil to your hair then steam...Others apply conditioners, oils and them steam.

here are my questions:

please share tips.

I steam every other week for 30 mins w/ whipped Shea butter, then shampoo and condition. I also have the LCL Pro Steamer-it's great!

SN: I henna my hair every 6 weeks and sit under the steamer for an hour then rinse w/ warm water.

Oh, no plastic cap steaming anymore, ever.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
So do you all put a plastic cap on when steaming, or do you just have your hair loose and down? I am planning on getting a steamer from Sams club.

No plastic bags, that defeats the purpose of steaming. You want the steam to be able to do its job and penetrate your haIr. :yep:

curlycrocheter

I got my steamer last month for my bday & have probably used it about 6-7 times already :giggle:

I steam with a deep conditioning treatment for 1 full hour. When the cycle is done, I let my hair cool down for about 20 minutes. Then I rinse with cool water & style as usual.

I don't use plastic caps either. I just pull all my hair to the middle of my head & secure with a big clip. I love that thing!!!

BlackHairDiva

When under the steamer I want my ends to be exposed to the steam as well right?

Have you noticed a difference in thicknes in your hair after several times of steaming? I know ther hair should be softer and a less frizzy...what other changes have you noticed after steaming?

Last edited:

mrs.reese

When under the steamer I want my ends to be exposed to the steam as well right?

Have you noticed a difference in thicknes in your hair after several times of steaming? I know ther hair should be softer and a less frizzy...what other changes have you noticed after steaming?

Yes you want your ends exposed as well. I think I will cross wrap my hair to let the steam get to my ends. What do you ladies think?

JustGROWwithIt

I steam once a week, no cap, with a DC on. I put my hair in a poof on top of my head so the ends are completely exposed and under the steamer dome. I use the Huetiful hair steamer also and usually sit under it for 2 cycles (about 40 mins) and then let my hair cool down til I decide to rinse. Works great!

curlyhersheygirl

I steam weekly with DC. If my hair is drier than usual I'll either add my oil mix on top of the DC or spritz my hair with a tea rinse then apply the DC on top.

After steaming for 30mins I let my hair "stand" with the DC on for 15mins then rinse and follow with my moisturizing and sealing routine.

I always cleanse my hair first and I never use a plastic cap while steaming.