Sticky hair!

melodee

I seem to really be having some problems with stickiness. After washing and conditioning, my hair strands fuse together and tangle as if I've applied glue to them. It makes me sooo nervous. I just washed my hair after a month in cornrows, and used an aphogee treatment under the dryer. I rinsed out after 20 mins and applyed a moisturizing conditioner. I felt that I rinsed out very well, but while drying my hair got sticky and tangled and I think more is coming out than should. I know about the normal release of shed hair after braids. I'm afraid to rewet now cause my hair is dry( I blow dried it),but it seems that if I try to apply oil to it, it starts fusing again. What is up?

melodee

Ahh, should have read that earlier Aphogee post. I did deep condition last night overnight. Didn't know it would be a problem. I shampooed with clarifying b/f the Aphogee, though. Could this have cause the stickiness? HELP!!

Karonica

I am having that problem too, and don't know exactly what to blame. But to be honest, it didn't start til I began using the Elasta QP Mango Butter.

Not to mention I get a thousand knots nowadays. I just don't know what it is.

ThursdayGirl

I had the problem too for awhile (especially over winter). Interesting you should mention Mango Butter, Karonica. I stopped having the problem once winter ended. I also stopped using Mango butter around that time. I remember clarifying didn't really help either. Maybe that's what it is. I have no idea.

Something else I stopped doing was rinsing my hair in such cold water. I heard that cold water could make your hair clump together... I don't know why.... Maybe its just a "myth". I also haven't seen that much of an improvement between rinsing in cold water and not. I know the "theory" is that it closes the cuticle of the hair...but honestly... I don't think there's any evidence for that.

JenJen2721

Melodee,
Perhaps your hair needs more moisture than protein. You may have OP'd (over proteined). That's just a guess, but perhaps try a hot oil treatment followed by a good shampoo and moisturizing deep conditioner treatment. Lay off the protein and see if that helps.
Jen

Nonie

Have you tried an ACV rinse? Not only will that remove any residue that may be left from just rinsing with just plain water but it'll make your hair cuticles lie flat which will give you a shine and... (I haven't paid attention to this, but I am guessing) a smooth feel.

melodee

Thanks all! Jen- Maybe I did OP.I want to keep the strands strong, but not sticky. Also, I rarely apply heat. I just came out of braids. My hair's structure appears to be good.

Lee

Do a conditioner wash with moisturizing conditioner. Deep condition, use a leave in, then use a moisturizing lotion then air dry. Just a thought

aqualung

Melodee,

John Frieda's Texture Correcting Serum helped my combouts. It's better than anything I've ever detangled with, even though it feels syrupy on my palms. I shed a lot less in the shower now. You won't regret spending the $10. It's like witchcraft or voodoo or magic or something.
The 'cone technology has definitely advanced.

Also, when I wear a bun all week, my hair is much less tangled the next time I wet and comb it than when it's down and moving.

DahomeyAhosi

I finally realized that my hair was fused together because shed hair was stuck in it. After careful detangling the shed hair is released. Must be gentle!

soulchild

[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:
I finally realized that my hair was fused together because shed hair was stuck in it. After careful detangling the shed hair is released. Must be gentle!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Also, I found that a wide tooth comb doesn't completely remove all the shed hairs so I've been using the Denman brush and it does a good job.

sithembile

I used Elasta mango butter a few times and it made my hair sticky. Maybe you could also clarify more often or prior to using a moisturising shampoo, maybe the build up is causing clumping.

inthepink

Megon,

Do you use the texture correcting serum instead of a leave-in or do you use both? In which order? How much do you use? I've had some of that stuff for about 2+ years now and have never used it.

aqualung

I used the serum instead of a leave-in back in August.

My above post was before I discovered Biolage Leave In Tonic. Since then, I have used up all the JF Relax Serum. I now detangle with the Biolage exclusively.

The main motivation was that 1.7 ounces of the serum costs $9 in Boston. I was using a lot of serum to detangle AND to manage my new growth when it came close to touch up time. I couldn't finance that habit.

I use Razac's Hair Polishing Gloss as my serum now. It's almost as thick as the JF relax, and it's cheaper.