Straight Naturals

lana

I would love to hear from the naturals that straighten their hair with heat. I'm a 4a natural, collarbone length at my longest layer....and I straighten twice a month or less with my flat iron. I washed and deep conditioned last week and my hair took a lot more heat than normal to straighten.

So someone please hip me up on how best to straighten natural hair. Any products that I should be using? I have a Sedu 1 and 1/2 inch flat iron, but it seems to leave my hair less than straight and I'm scared of the Maxiglide (teeth) (lol)

Any help, hints or tips would be appreciated. Also do you use oil or not and if so when?

Thanks,

Lana

lana

Bump....for responses...I know you're out there.

Oh and I don't mind if people with relaxed or texlaxed hair answer my question. You guys have new growth...how do you lay it down? But I want swing and swagger with my down styles, not stiff straight hair that won't shake. (lol)

CarefreeinChicago

when i straighten my hair (4a,b) i let it air dry with a little salerm leave in a little wild growth oil and tressemme heat protectant and my maxiglide does the job

Lucia

The maxiglide comes with 2 plates 2 with teeth 1 without, make sure to use a good heat protectant, like Vitapoint or hair butter and use the lowest heat needed.

lana

Now I would love LOVE LOVE to give up my blow dryer. That's the main problem with heat damage. I like the idea of air drying my hair as straight as possible in like ponytail holders and THEN flat ironing it straight. Maybe it's time to say ga'bye to my Sedu? It's been two years and it's not doing what it used to.

Any ideas?

pet

I get my hair pressed with a pressing comb. When you wash your hair, put some pressing oil on it as it is drying. It really makes a difference when you press it.

loasiaa

I agree with Pet, adding oil to your hair while it is wet does makes a difference. KemiOyl is my favorite.

inthepink

I love the maxiglide. I use setting 5. I put my hair in two braids so that when I maxiglide, teeth go through easily b/c I've pulled out all of the curl.

blackbarbie

My friend is a natural that wears straight styles all the time. Can't remember what brand of flat iron she has, but she asked me how I got my hair to stay straight (when it was pouring down raining outside) b/c when she had a perm it never stayed straight. I offered her my maxiglide to use and she fell in love with it and was really impressed at how straight her hair got and all the "swang" she had!

My mom is also a natural that wears her hair straight too. She presses hers with the straightening comb and I think she only uses vaseline (puts it on while it is drying and in two braids). She always has a lot of body and bounce in her hair and you would never be able to tell that she is natural.

I would think putting something on it (not too much) while it is drying is the key, and also don't forget to use a heat protectant (but not too much cause you still want that swang!)

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I use heat to striaghten twice a month and all I use is a heat protectant (Beyond the Zone or Fantasia IC serum) and my beloved Maxiglide. Don't be scared of the teeth. As long as your hair is detangled it should glide right through. I don't have any problem w/it, the teeth actually help to get that bone straight relaxer look, even for naturals.

Glitter

I think the one hint I have is to make sure your hair is tangle free. Detangle before you try to straighten it, otherwise it will be a mess. Also, if your hair is damanged, it won't come out swinging and swanging

lana

Wow these are great responses. I washed my hair this weekend and I still used the blow dryer, but what I did was make sure to detangle really well and then I flat ironed (still using my Sedu) my hair straight without any curl. I went to sleep with it in a pony tail and woke up and curled my hair with the flat iron, it was gorgeous and full of body.

I just need to find a way NOT to use the blow dryer. I hate to overdue it with the heat. But I got a nice compliment - my bf asked me why I bother to go to the stylist because I always go home and "fix" my hair. He said when I do it - it looks great the first time (laughs).

Now that I think about it - why was I paying someone $60 to press my hair?

But for those of you that straighten your own hair, do you go to the stylist for trims?