Straightening relaxed hair?

*Muffin*

Does anyone know a good way to straighten relaxed hair that has NG. I'm planning out ways that I want to wear my hair in the future (because I plan on eventually trying to stretch my relaxer for six months or longer) and I was interested in heat-styling maybe once or twice a month to help my NG lie straighter for a couple of weeks out of the month. Should I flat iron, blow dry, roller set. I've never heat styled my hair before so I'm clueless as to what the best way to be. I don't plan on relying on heat styling often. I also want to do braids, bunning with head bands, etc...to hide, but I've been avoiding straightening because I don't know what the most effective and least damaging way is. Also if you know any names of youtubers that straighten their hair in less damaging ways that would be helpful. TIA :).

soulie

You can roller set it, and flatiron your roots. FHI has a 4/10" flatiron that is perfect for that (stylist used it on me Friday).

*Muffin*

I am 15 weeks post and I am still rollersetting. I flat iron on occasion.

Do you flat iron your all of your hair or just your roots? I have thought about flat ironing but I want to try it on just my roots. Then after I do that I guess I can wrap it, right? Also what temperature setting do you use on your iron. Will low heat work?

*Muffin*

You can roller set it, and flatiron your roots. FHI has a 4/10" flatiron that is perfect for that (stylist used it on me Friday).

I saw this little flat iron at Sally's on Friday that I think I will buy. It would be perfect for flat ironing just my NG. That's the only part I'm really concerned about. I can care less if the other parts get ironed. Then I could just straighten my NG and they should stay straight for all the week since I wash my hair on a weekly basis. That would help me stretch my relaxer for longer.

PinkSkates

You could try:
1. Sit under the hooded dryer with CHI silk infusion on your hair and smooth the hair with your hands as it is drying. This will help smooth the cuticle and make hair straighter.

2. With 3-4" of NG you could section the hair, braid it and let it air dry. After it dries, take the hair down and flat iron. The braiding stretches the hair out more, so that's less heat you need on the hair.

3. Or you could blow dry the roots and flat iron, but I would not do that too often.

soulie

I saw this little flat iron at Sally's on Friday that I think I will buy. It would be perfect for flat ironing just my NG. That's the only part I'm really concerned about. I can care less if the other parts get ironed. Then I could just straighten my NG and they should stay straight for all the week since I wash my hair on a weekly basis. That would help me stretch my relaxer for longer.

Exactly, because the relaxed portion behaves fine; it's just my NG that doesn't .... work :grin::grin:

*Muffin*

You could try:
1. Sit under the hooded dryer with CHI silk infusion on your hair and smooth the hair with your hands as it is drying. This will help smooth the cuticle and make hair straighter.

2. With 3-4" of NG you could section the hair, braid it and let it air dry. After it dries, take the hair down and flat iron. The braiding stretches the hair out more, so that's less heat you need on the hair.

3. Or you could blow dry the roots and flat iron, but I would not do that too often.

This way seems interesting, too. I could probably rely on this while my NG is getting thick, but not quite heavy. That would help tame it down some. I don't pan on blow drying/flat ironing my roots often. That would be a once a month thing and only if my NG is making whatever hair style I choose look awkard.