STRAIGHTENING: Which is more important...

If I really had to choose, I'd say what's most important for straightening hair...

• ...are the products used in the hair.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...is the technique and the tools used.

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • ...is honestly just both. One isn't more important than the other really.

Votes: 47 59.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yamilee21

Technique and products are both important for me - I'm still traumatized by the disastrous experience I had 18 months ago when I tried the Matrix Sleek Look products. :nono: Same technique that had always worked, but a horrible mess because of those products. :nono: I've never been to a salon stylist who could straighten my hair better than me, never... even when they could straighten other people's hair perfectly.

Reversion for me was always related to humidity - nothing to do with straightening technique. But reversion has been decreased significantly with the use of Sabino Moisture Block, so that points to product, too.

SUPER SWEET

Mos def technique!

The key is being moisturized before heat is added. My best hair dresser technique is like no other I've been to. She washes 3x, once with claifier and second with moisture shampoo. Then she deep conditions and shampoos lightly again. Then the KEY...she puts ONLY moroccan oil on then blow dries. My hair is super straight and light when done. Then she uses the H2Pro for curling. The last product is Diamond shine by Design essentials as a finish.

Barbara

Princess
I've been straightening weekly (for the most part) for the last 16 months and have done enough variations and experiments to know that tools, techniques, and products all matter.
That doesn't mean that only one particular flat iron will work, or one technique, or a specific set of products, but that you will need to find A right combo in order to get your hair the way you want it. There is no single right combo, but there are definitely plenty of wrong ones :lol: (and of course keep in mind that it will be a personal thing -- you can't know that someone else's regimen will work for you unless you try it).

I can use exactly the same set of products for two weeks, but have different results because my technique was different.

Likewise I can use the same technique two weeks, but have completely different results because I used different products.

When you are trying to find the "sweet spot", so to speak, you must vary each thing in a controlled way to figure out why your hair isn't turning out the way you want. Your products may be fine, but your technique is off. Or your technique might be a good one, but your results aren't the best because you haven't found the right kind of products. You won't know what it is until you figure it out. And it does take figuring. You can try to guess and cross your fingers, but it's better to have an understanding of exactly what effect each element is having on your hair. Then if you are forced to make substitutions (say your favorite serum is discontinued), you know what to look for in your replacement.

My stylists mentioned this to me about two years ago. The right combination of products may not come from one line, but I was fortunate that my primary staples were all I needed. These came from one line.

However, my secondary staples were recommended by my stylist--which are from three different lines.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I only straighten my hair about 3x a year (so this technique works for me) and I will not do it with any temp less than 450 degrees. I use FHI hot sauce and have yet to suffer heat damage. I use either my FHI Platform or my H2Pro Presto and I get better results than I ever got at the salon.

For me the key is high temp, little product and small sections.

Yeeeeeeeeeees!

loulou82

What straightening lines are you guys using? I used Mizani with "okay" success.

I want to know too. :yep: My stylist used the whole Design Essentials line for my press and it came out beautifully. Patchouli on youtube used CHI but said she switched to Alterna Hemp Straight... either way her results are great too. I'm trying to decide which products I'm going to invest in.