strands that will NOT curl

Crystars

Great day all

I have been a subscriber since October and kind of lurking around throughout the site. I have a question that perhaps you all can help me with. Throughout the the winter my stylist pressed my hair twice a month and I used the maxi glide on off weeks. We always used a heat protectant. Now that the weather is warm again I have been attempting to go back to my natural curls and unfortunately I have all these strands that will not curl!!!:nono: So, in an attempt to define the curls, I would wash, dt, and bantu knot on Saturday only to have some curls on Monday. Of course, this look lasts only 2 days and then I am at a loss as to what to do.

To answer any questions ahead of time: I have 4a and 4b hair (different sections, different hair types) my staples are Mizani products and Deva products. This evening I co-washed with Herbal Essences; applied AngelCurl by Deva and sectioned hair into 4 twists. I went have been a natural for 2 years now and right now I am contemplating a perm because my hair is such a mess. BTW, I have very THICK hair that takes 2 days to dry naturally and wash and gos I am afraid will cause MOLD. I have heard of women developing mold or nasty scents when wearing wash and gos. Please help.

discodumpling

Try a hard protein treatment to see if that will help to repair your curl pattern.

Perming/relaxing heat damaged hair is not recommended...seems like the fastest way to encourage breakage IMHO

I haven't heard the mold theory...yet.

If all else fails there is always a bun.

vkb247

Sounds like heat damage but i would also recommend a protein treatment.

You shouldn't have a problem with mold as long as you keep your hair clean. But if you hair is taking two days to dry while wearing it out I would say try plopping so it will dry faster or letting it airdry a bit before applying your product. If all else fails than get a blowdryer w/ diffuser, bonnet, hood dryer, something :perplexed:

Last edited:

that_1_grrrl

I always do wash 'n go's, and it actually got rid of my dandruff problem (dandruff can be caused by a fungus). Just be on the look out for any problems.

Sunshine_One

I would try a hard protein treatment like Aphogee 2 step or Nexus Emergencee. Then I would follow that up with a moisturizing conditioner over night. Two moisturizing conditioners I like are AO Honey Suckle Rose and Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm. This may not bring all your curls back, but it will infuse your strands with strength and moisture. This is always the best place to start. A few styles that will look great and allow you to blend the different textures are: Twist and curls and braid outs. I would probably also add a small roller to the ends of the braids. This will make the style more uniform.

If you search you can find many pics and instructions on braid outs. I have a few in my album. Also check out www.curlynikki.com she has become the queen on the twist n curl.

HTH

Last edited:

Adgirl

I am a natural and falt iron every week using a heat protectant. Sometimes when I try to do a wash a go some parts of my hair don't curl. For me this means that my hair is lacking enough moisture. I will moisturize with Joco treatment balm or any other quality moisturizer overnight or for several hours and this seems to solve the problem...at least for now.

caramelcutieinva

Plopping method???????