Stretchers who relax at the salon

TwoSnapsUp

Hello all! I have 4C hair.

The last time I stretched past 3 months, my visit to the salon for a touch up was quite painful. My new growth is ROUGH. (No, I do not want to self relax)

For long term stretchers 4+ months who relax at the salon, how to you prepare for the salon visit? How do you make it easier and less painful for the hair dresser to part your hair in preparation for a touch up? Thanks in advance!

Hi TwoSnaps :) To prepare, I deep condition with a protein DC and then a moisturizing one. I try to do these both a few days before my actual touch-up. The day before my touch up, I THOROUGHLY detangle my new growth, meaning I detangle with my seamless comb from ends to root in small sections (about 6+) to make sure I get as many tangles, knots, and shed hairs out as possible. I may go through with a smaller tooth comb just to be sure. I really don't like relying on the stylist to detangle for me because they're pressed for time and will probably rip through my new growth. Then I twist each section so that they stay detangled until it's time to relax. My hair's already in parts so that makes it easier for my stylist as well. Does that help at all?

TwoSnapsUp, I follow a similar routine as spellinto. I do a hard protein treatment the week before the relaxer. I use either Komaza Care's Protein Strengthener or Hairveda's Methi Sativa treatment. I will blow dry my hair on cool air and flat iron (I only flat iron my hair prior to a relaxer). This helps my hair to be straight so that the stylist can apply the relaxer. During the week I wear low manipulation styles. I only use a comb on my hair on way day in most cases but the night prior to a relaxer I will detangle my hair from tip to root. I will also protect the previously relaxed hair with silk amino acids. I have never had any problems when I go to the salon for a relaxer after stretching. This time I will have stretched for a little over 4 months this time. My goal is to stretch for 6 months.

TwoSnapsUp I agree with detangling at home, this makes a huge difference. Also, if you have a good stylist explain to her that you are stretching relaxers as part of a healthy hair regimen and ask that she be gentle... it's worth a shot!

TwoSnapsUp, I flat iron roots only a week before the touch up to knock out some of the kink and to remove shed hairs. I flat iron on the lowest possible setting with 1 or 2 passes. I'm not trying to get it straight, just manageable.

When I was relaxed I would coat my relaxed hair with conditioner and oil to protect the ends from overlapping. I think I did a protein treatment 1 week before also

Back