Long Term stretch questionnaire

Iluvsmuhgrass

Where are my long term stretchers? Get on in here!! It's not just limited to relaxed or texlaxed sisters but also to the transitioners. Share your knowledge!

• How long are you stretching?
  • How long have you stretched so far?
  • What problems have you experienced? What did you do to correct it?
  • What are you doing to keep your hair strong?
  • What advice do you have for the newbie stretchers?

Lady Esquire

• How long are you stretching? I dunno this time. Anywhere from 12-24, depends on how my hair behaves.
  • How long have you stretched so far? 24 weeks (6 months)
    • Tangling during the later weeks is a big challenge. I have recently incorporated Dominican rinses and Porosity Control rinses, and so far that seems to be taming my NG nicely. I may also try ACV rinses as well, because they supposedly close the cuticle.
    • I was baggying with too much product, and now I have learned to baggy without applying any thing or very little prod, and my hair likes that.
    • Prepooing with oil on dry hair
    • DCing once or twice a week
    • Baggying once a twice a week, to protect my ends, not nightly.
    • Rinses at the end of each wash, closes my cuticle and helps to control my porous hair.
    • Use as little product as possible because I was heavy-handed and experienced a lot of build-up.
    • Listen to your hair. I do not do anything on a schedule anymore (except my regular DCing).
    • I use protein only when needed.
    • I baggy only when needed...when ends feel dry.
    • I increased the amount of weeks to stretch gradually, to train my hair.

bajanplums1

* How long are you stretching?
i am stretching 8 months.

* How long have you stretched so far?
3 months.

* What problems have you experienced? What did you do to correct it?
in the past I have experienced breakage, lots of breakage, tangled hair, and dryness. To correct it, I deep condition every 4 days. I will wash and d/c in the middle of the week without hesitation to soften my hair and new growth. I air dry hair in sections and add leave ins when hair is damp/almost fully dry. I also want to add that if my ng is dry and i have no time to wash. I'll spritz it with warm water and then slap on leave in conditioner.

* What are you doing to keep your hair strong?
I prepoo with a protein conditioner. I mix a leave in protein conditioner with a leave in moisturizing conditioner.

* What advice do you have for the newbie stretchers?
pay attention to your hair and make conditioner your best friend.

Last edited:

MizzBrown

Where are my long term stretchers? Get on in here!! It's not just limited to relaxed or texlaxed sisters but also to the transitioners. Share your knowledge!
  • How long are you stretching?
I have stretched twice for 10 weeks and 12 weeks and this time i plan to stretch for 14. I keep adding on more time as i can.
  • How long have you stretched so far? 10 & 12 weeks
Learning to control my NG and the shedding and breakage galore. I have to wash more often when I'm stretching and use more moisturizer and protein.
Deep conditioning, keeping it moisturized and using oil mixed w/ my conditioner treatments to soften NG.
-Listen to your hair and if something aint working, dont keep trying it again to get better results.
-Follow directions.
-IMO,You can NEVER have enough conditioner and dont be greedy w/ it.
-If your hair is dirty then WASH IT. Its unsanitary and then you wonder why your hair is looking the way it is cause its not been cleaned and taken care of like the rest of your body.
-Don't get overzealous trying to stretch. Dont go from 8 weeks and jump to 13 weeks and wonder why you didnt reach your goal. Take baby steps to train your hair.

Last edited:

Nanyanika

How long are you stretching? 7 months

How long have you stretched so far? 10 weeks post

What problems have you experienced? i haven't really experienced any problems,other than a little breakage

What did you do to correct it? keep my hair weaved or cornrowed under a wig and moisturise.

What are you doing to keep your hair strong? I use my Ayurveda 3 in 1 growth tonic and i use Aphogee two min kertain reconstructor/porosity control conditioner

What advice do you have for the newbie stretchers? Take it slowly,if your used to getting your roots touch-up up every 6 weeks gradually increase i.e. 7, 8, 9, 10.
-Do no manipulate hair often
-wear a french braid or braid-out to avoid breakage at demarcation point and moisturise regularly and condition weekly.

Last edited:

lala

• How long are you stretching? I'm relaxed, but I plan to go 12 - 14 wks. may go longer depending on hair behavior/shedding
  • How long have you stretched so far? 10 wks. (I think)
  • What problems have you experienced? What did you do to correct it? The problems I exp. were not moisturizing enough, doing pre-shampoo treatments. Once, I pre-conditioned and used a protein/moisturizing cond. I was straight.
  • What are you doing to keep your hair strong? Not allowing it to get matted/tangled/ and dusting/trimming ends every 6 wks.
  • What advice do you have for the newbie stretchers? Keep hair detangled, use a creamy leave-in (one that works on dry/wet hair, keep hair from drying out (reapply products if needed). Layer products (if necessary) to keep hair smooth, shampoo/condition when new growth doesn't respond to products to restore moisture (1-2x wk. min). Airdry if you can.

br0wney3z

• How long are you stretching? originally for 28 weeks
  • How long have you stretched so far? 17-18 weeks I think and i'm relaxing on monday
  • What problems have you experienced? What did you do to correct it? lots and lots of tangling of my NG, some breakage, and LOTS of shedding
  • What are you doing to keep your hair strong? Detangling more throughly before wetting hair, pre-poos with oils, coconut milk, and a new molasses treatment that I just tried 2 weeks ago (the molasses was the best thing i did to my hair all stretch, it stopped the breakage and the excessive shedding)
  • What advice do you have for the newbie stretchers? lose the schedules and just do what you think your hair needs at the time, increase moisture, be patient when detangling, understand that you will loose hair during this process (breakage and/or shedding), don't sweat the small stuff too much, and don't push your hair beyond its limits (if you normally go 8wks, understand that you may not be able to jump to a 6 mo stretch immediately)

Good Luck you stretchers, oh and congratulations Bajanplums, your ring is absolutely beautiful.

Last edited:

onyxcabelo

• How long are you stretching? I'm texturized, but I haven't had a retouch in 7 months.
  • How long have you stretched so far? 3 months
  • What problems have you experienced? What did you do to correct it? Keeping my NG moisturized and tangle free - NG definitely requires more moisture than my tex'd hair. S-curl has been great for keeping my NG moisture and helps me detangle.
  • What are you doing to keep your hair strong? Wearing it in updos, spritzing with distilled water everyday, finger combing on non-wash days, and being very, very gentle when detangling my two hair types.
  • What advice do you have for the newbie stretchers? Take your time when detangling, try not to get frustrated when it takes a little longer to comb through NG versus treated hair. Use products that won't cause build up and may block out that much needed moisture. Use a good moisturizing conditioner and leave-in.

charmtreese

• How long are you stretching? I plan on relaxing 3 times this year my first touch up I will be 13weeks post, next one at 17weeks and the last one at 22weeks
  • How long have you stretched so far? The longest I have stretched is 31 weeks
  • What problems have you experienced? In the beginning I had a problem with tangles, however thats no longer a problem. What did you do to correct it? I found products that worked with my hair and not against it and went to the pros for a corrective. Im no longer a diy relaxer gal.
  • What are you doing to keep your hair strong? Weekly oil treatments and dc. Also I believe that rollersetting has made a huge impact on my hairs health.
  • What advice do you have for the newbie stretchers? Find products that work with your hair. Pay attention to your hair and have patience.

kiesha8185

How long are you stretching?
  • 12 months
How long have you stretched so far?
  • 2 months
What problems have you experienced? What did you do to correct it?
  • None really, except for a little breakage because I'm not as gentle with my hair as I should be.
What are you doing to keep your hair strong?
  • My Ayurveda regimen keeps my hair strong and conditioned.
What advice do you have for the newbie stretchers?
  • Find the proper protein-moisture balance to keep your hair strong and conditioned. I find (in my experience) that when my hair has the proper protein-moisture balance, it does not tangle or break.
  • Limit combing and unnecessary manipulation to prevent breakage.
  • Wear protective styles to retain your growth.

Gemini350z

• How long are you stretching? I am stretching for at least 6-12 months, depends on how difficult it gets, and of course how my hair reacts to this.
  • How long have you stretched so far? 3-4 months has been the longest.
  • What problems have you experienced? What did you do to correct it? My most difficult issue that I had to deal with was getting a good moisture/protein balance, I fixed this by actually mixingconditioners, I mix Joico Kpak recon and Kenra moisturizing con.
  • What are you doing to keep your hair strong? The above as well as deep conditioning every wash day, co washing every couple days. I will be using protective styles this time, more than likely tree braids.
  • What advice do you have for the newbie stretchers? I would still consider myself a newbie stretcher.

I am definately looking forward to the outcome of this stretch. I really hope to make it this time!!

Dposh167

How long are you stretching? 20 weeks (a record)

How long have you stretched so far? 12 weeks

What problems have you experienced? What did you do to correct it? snapping and dry roots.
dcing with a dc thats strong for my hair...and prepooing with dc & honey on roots only.

What are you doing to keep your hair strong?
moisture

What advice do you have for the newbie stretchers?
-if ur ng is too tangled to put a comb thru, cowash. even if u only wash 1x a week. cowashing adds that extra moisture and slip ur ng could use. doing this has kept unwanted combs from untangling ng that will just will just resist it.

-