Stupid question

H

HoneyRockette

Does witch hazel have any cleansing properties? I mean if I dab witch hazel on my scalp is it getting clean or just adding more gunk to wash away later?

sweetcocoa

Witch Hazel is an astringent(toner). I've never used it on my scalp, only as a toner after washing my face before applying moisturizer. If you can use Seabreeze(which is alot stronger) then you should be able to use this because it is milder.

simone103

Witch hazel is good for cleansing the scalp if you wear braids. When I had braids, I would dab a cotton ball with either sea-breeze or witch hazel and it would soothe my scalp especially if it itched.

Jenai

Witch hazel is also good for soothing relaxer burns and loosening that stiff hair that gets stuck to the burn. Not that I have ever burned my scalp. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

MSCHICHI

Well, witch hazel has a certain amount of alcohol in it.

When you put alcohol on your face, it strips away the natural oils. This sends your skin into confusion, thinking it needs oil. Then it starts over-producing it, and your skin ends up oiler than before. Toners and astringents like witch hazel have a small percentage of alcohol (some more than others). Overuse of these can still cause problems.

If you put in on your scalp, it may do the same thing. If so, you could end up with a much oiler scalp, the culprit in dandruff.

Now, witch hazel has a small percentage, like 14%, but if you decide to use it, try not to overdo it.

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif