How do you clean your scalp while wearing a weave?

Kinkyhairlady

I desperately need to know cause I currently have one installed and my scalp is on fire! I tried using a cotton ball with witch hazel but it did not help much. I just got it done a week ago so I don't want to mess it up but my scalp is screaming wash me!

India*32

Girl, I know the feeling. I hope my sisters chime in. I too have a time with my scalp while wearing box braids, so I know that weave has your scalp on fire. However, what I do to calm my scalp is wash the "Box Braids." Not so sure with weaved hair. Good Luck.

India

HairBella08

I wash my hair and weave with a sulfate free shampoo about 1 to 2 weeks after the install. This works for me. Until the wash day I have tried this scalp itch relief I think it's by Soft and Beautiful. Ultimately nothing stops it until that 1st wash in my opinion.

Kinkyhairlady

I wash my hair and weave with a sulfate free shampoo about 1 to 2 weeks after the install. This works for me. Until the wash day I have tried this scalp itch relief I think it's by Soft and Beautiful. Ultimately nothing stops it until that 1st wash in my opinion.

So you just apply it on the scalp and rub? How do u ensure all the shampoo is out?

HairBella08

So you just apply it on the scalp and rub? How do u ensure all the shampoo is out?

I dilute the shampoo with water in a bottle with an applicator tip. I focus on getting my scalp clean and the shampoo wil lrun thru the braids cleansing them. I would say I use about 10- 15% shampoo and the rest water so its more like a sudsy water rinse than a shampoo. There's not much to rinse becasue its so watered down, but I still rinse well. I also do my conditioner the same way, but much more conditioner than 10-15%; just enough to get it watered down,not thick. I never have a problem with build up from doing this.

BTW, I probably learned this somewhere on this site so do a search for washing hair with a weave and you may get more detailed instructions.

Last edited:

rririla

^^I second the applicator bottle....I used to work in a shop that specialized in weaves and they would use diluted seabreeze astringent and squirt it under the tracks to keep the scalp from getting too greasy, and itchy.

Kinkyhairlady

^^I second the applicator bottle....I used to work in a shop that specialized in weaves and they would use diluted seabreeze astringent and squirt it under the tracks to keep the scalp from getting too greasy, and itchy.

Diluted seabreeze so I don't have to scrub? Just let it run through? I'll get the applicator today. Thx

rririla

Diluted seabreeze so I don't have to scrub? Just let it run through? I'll get the applicator today. Thx

No, u don't need to scrub....usually we would just use 2 parts seabreeze to one part water and squirt it under the tracks.....I will say that it has a strong menthol smell, so if u will be doing this on a day that u don't plan on washing ur weave then use it sparingly.

NeicyNee

I use diluted seabreeze inbetween washes (I wash every week). I workout everyday and also spray some type of moisturizer on my hair everyday and I experience no buildup. I use an applicator bottle for both washing and applying seabreeze. HTH!

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I never diluted my Sea Breeze! I took mine straight with no chaser :lachen: and the smell of the antiseptic dissipated before I would leave the house. I always like the feeling of a Sea Breeze Refresher on my scalp. My scalp felt so clean and refreshed. :yep:

rririla

I never diluted my Sea Breeze! I took mine straight with no chaser :lachen: and the smell of the antiseptic dissipated before I would leave the house. I always like the feeling of a Sea Breeze Refresher on my scalp. My scalp felt so clean and refreshed. :yep:

LOL @ straight no chaser.....I think they diluted it b/c they were trying to make it last longer if u ask me....(it was a salon, so u know how that goes)....but it still seemed effective, but I think either way OP should be ok with the suggestions.

Kinkyhairlady

I diluted the shampoo and used the nozzle, my scalp feels better but I kind of fear I did not get all the shampoo out. The way the tracks are sewed in it made it hard to get to my scalp.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I diluted the shampoo and used the nozzle, my scalp feels better but I kind of fear I did not get all the shampoo out. The way the tracks are sewed in it made it hard to get to my scalp.

Awww... you should have used the Sea Breeze. My hair stylist swears by it. :yep: Oh well! Maybe another time!

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
First I would wet the hair on shampoo day.

Dilute a few drops of shampoo in water and squirt it into the braids.

Then rinse well.

Then mix about 4 tablespoons of acv in some spring water (6-8oz) and add about 10 of drops peppermint oil. Shake it in a squirt bottle or applicator bottle and squirt it into the braids.

Let it sit 10 mins then rinse it out.

The acv will make your scalp clean. Peppermint will soothe the itch.

Sea breeze works too but it way more harsh. You can do this with a qtip BUT that works better on day 1-2. After a week you need to wash the scalp.

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!