Success with half wigs?

curlmama

Thanks for the info SweetlyBlessed. I am still a bit worried about the stress on my hair line (I am using the headband method). I was trying to avoid using heat but I think I will have to in order to do a blend. I think I am going to first try the braiding method mentioned to see if I can avoid heat since the half wig is wavy.

aramaticart

if you have blending issues with leaving your front out do what I do.....buy a bunch of cute headbands .... slap some non alcohol holding gel on your baby hairs ...put the headband over your wig...... then your good to go..... this way you can protect all of your hair.

This is EXACTLY what I did and what I was gonna suggest :yep:

I wore half wigs for a few months, then I went to sew-ins. I wasnt paying attention to growth but I know my hair got SO healthy. I was able to moisturize my cornrows (I had maybe 4-6 in) as much as I felt like and didn't have to worry about them being really greasy b/c nobody would be seeing it.

I NEVER slept in it. I snatched it off as soon as I got home. Sometimes even before I took my coat off!

I've been on the hunt for another nice half wig though so I'll eventually go back to them.

MissNina

Libra Girl
Yep. All the time. Sometimes I sleep in it when I'm lazy.

I do whatever it is I do (CW, moisturize, etc.) and I put it in a WET BUN (see tiffers tutorial and that is basically how I do mine). After that, I carefully take some of the hair out in the front and then put on the half wig and blend. Yep, I put the wig OVER the bun. As long as the bun isn't on the very top of my head it doesn't matter b/c it's not noticeable. Now, if I'm going somewhere that I know a guy will probably touch my hair, I do an ultraaa low bun closer to my nape. I try to keep it as loose as possible.

If you don't want to leave hair out in the front, then you can add headbands to cover it. Also, try to leave the combs looser in the back and positioned very carefully in the front. Most newer halfs now come with the clasp so you don't have to have the combs so tight. I also add a couple pins wherever I feel if I know I'm going somewhere windy.

I used halfs in between stylist visits last year as well. But I just started doing the bun with it though around August. I'm going to continue until I reach BSL. Possibly continue through MBL. I advocate them to everyone b/c they are a great way to keep your hair protected while still having cute styles and not walking around with a VISIBLE bun 24/7 :spinning:

I'll prob do a tutorial one of these days. This has been a savior to my hair.

Belle Du Jour

Love half wigs. However, I've been getting lazy with mine and sleeping in them :look: I need to get a new one. My staple is Outre Vera. :look: I'm curious to try the monofilaments someone mentioned for an even more realistic hairline.

firecracker

I am thinking about getting a human hair half wig in 2 or 3 months. I was wondering if the comb could be eliminated. How are you ladies taking out the comb?

Belle Du Jour

Can anyone suggest any BSS in New York to buy half-wigs? I'd like to try the one in Ateyaaa's video (Sensationnel lacetop). Thanks!

chicacanella

To take the comb out, you just get in a really good lighting area and look for the threads holding the comb within the wig. Once you find them, just take some scissors and clip along the threads and it should come out.

I am trying to find that Sensationnel wig Ateyaa had on too. That girl know she can rock some hair.:grin:

Belle Du Jour

I need some cute headbands to "accessorize" my hair lol. I bought this 2" wide tortoise shell band from goody 3 times. It keeps breaking. But I love it. The third one seems to be holding up though :lol:

Creatividual

I luv half wigs! They are making my transition sooo easy. Good hair day everyday! I love that I can still deep condition, cleanse, and moisturize my hair like I normally do. None of my hair care routine has to change.

Creatividual

Can anyone suggest any BSS in New York to buy half-wigs? I'd like to try the one in Ateyaaa's video (Sensationnel lacetop). Thanks!

Hey Classi, I got a curly Sensationnel half wig at a wig shop on 33rd St, in the City, between 6th and 7th (closer to 7th). Mine cost $25. They have a wavy one that I want too! HTH!:grin: