Half-wig vs. sew-in

bee

I was just wondering if the same results can be achieved w/ hair braided under a half-wig, the way it's braided under a sew-in? I mention the half wig because I've only had experience using this. I've never had a sew-in, nor have I ever worn a full wig.

I've been reading where some women are experiencing breakage w/ sew-ins, such as thinning ends and edges, breakage from where the hair was sewn on, bald spots from hair being braided too tight, etc. So, I thought that since half-wigs are considered protective styling, why not try keeping the hair braided underneath to see if the same growth as a sew-in, can be achieved?

I'm not questioning the growth some may have had w/ sew-ins (I've read the good too!). I just wondered if the same growth can be achieved using half-wigs as an extension alternative.

RegaLady

I have had both! I have never had a bad experience with a sew in. My sister grew her hair from pixie cut to almost APL in 2 years using sew ins for months straight. :yep:
I like sew ins because they last. However, half wigs allow me to message and moisturize easily. I can get to my hair better because all I have to do is take the wig off.:yep:
But you can use spray moisturizer between the tracks for a sew in.

ajacks

I have not had any set-backs since I have been going to my current stylist. She is very careful when doing the take downs and she does not braid my edges so I have been able to avoid the breakage and damage that others have mentioned. While my preference is definitely a sew-in, I think you can definitely achieve great results with half-wigs, which is why I use it as a protective style when I don't have a sew-in.

IMO, there are definite pros and cons to both. From my experience:

Sew-Ins: Pros - I retain the most length; I get full head weaves so all of my hair is protected; helps me stretch for 6-months at a time; very little manipulation to hair underneath
Cons: Harder to wash, condition and moisturize hair; Annoying to have the fake hair attached

Half-Wigs: Pros - Can take it off every day; Easier to wash, condition and moisturize
Cons- Blending with real hair, couldn't keep my hands out of my hair when the wig was off, always had problems with the wig cap popping off making the wig look bulky in the middle

Caramela

I would opt for the 1/2 wig. Only because you are able to condition and care for your own hair, even on a daily basis if you so choose. Furthermore, a sew in can be tight and stressful on the scalp (atleast initially) ... until the braids grow out some and loosen. And that string it's sewn it with can cut into your natural hair.

msa

I would opt for the 1/2 wig. Only because you are able to condition and care for your own hair, even on a daily basis if you so choose. Furthermore, a sew in can be tight and stressful on the scalp (atleast initially) ... until the braids grow out some and loosen. And that string it's sewn it with can cut into your natural hair.

That is so true for me. If they had some silk or satin string sew-ins would be perfect.

Anyway, I love half-wigs. I like sew-ins. Half-wigs allow me to take care of my hair so much better because I can access it every day. But, it's still in a protective style because I keep my hair braided for at least a week underneath the wig. I don't try to blend my hair, I just put the wig on a put on a headband, so that ALL of my hair is protected. Also, the wigs can last a long time if you don't sleep in them and just generally treat them well. I've had synthetic wigs that only cost me 20$ last for at least 2 months.

bee

Thanks ladies! I may give sew-ins a try one day but I like the versatility and accessibility of half wigs. I just threw a half wig away that lasted for 8 months, and I wore it at least 5 days a week.

My current half-wig is short; it comes to the nape of my neck. I love it! When i wear my hair out, which is not often, people seem amazed that I actually have thick, shoulder length (INCHING toward APL) hair! Half wigs are a staple of mine.

LadyPaniolo

MSA makes a good point about the thread. I hate how thick and bulky the weave thread is, especially when it's doubled on the needle. It swells with water/moisturizer, and I just generally don't like it.

They DO make silk thread. It's expensive, but go to any Joann's or other fabric store and you can easily cop a spool of it. I think silk thread could cut your hair, too, though. It's all a question of how tightly the thread is pulled.

ETA: Back on topic, half wigs are wonderful for protecting hair like a sew-in does, but they offer the benefits of ease of washing/conditioning/drying. Half wigs aren't as good as full wigs, :imo: because then you have to be on point with blending. Full wigs avoid this whole problem. I've used headbands to cover the front, but they have slipped before, exposing my cornrow! That's why full wigs are the best for me!

Last edited: