Successful transition without big chop or braids??

avyance

I went to the salon today and my stylist told me that if I didn't get my hair cut off I would need to put it in braids. Now I know that eventually you have to cut off the permed hair but I am planning to do it in stages.

Has anyone had transition success without the big chop or braids? If so, what did you do to be successful?

DahomeyAhosi

Hi avyance,

There are plenty of ladies who transitioned without big chopping or getting braids here. I transitioned for a year (actually at the end of the year I texturized) without ever cutting off my relaxed ends. My natural hair was much healthier than my relaxed hair so I just washed once or twice a month (sounds like a long time but I didn't know any better), twisted after washing, and used IC tea oil as a moisturizer. At this time I knew nothing about how to take care of my hair but it grew in very quickly and thick. If I wanted to wear it down I always wore twist-outs to blend the natural and relaxed textures.

Bottom line is your hairdresser is not right. You can cut when you choose to cut.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
DahomeyAhosi said:
Bottom line is your hairdresser is not right. You can cut when you choose to cut.

This week will make it 14 months that I have been transitioning. I did have twists for 2 weeks, but the rest of the time I've been bunned up or worn my hair in updo's.

My hair stretched is longer than it's ever been in my life, the only explanation for that is that I've been retaining length.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I transitioned w/o doing either. I didn't know anything about transitioning at the time and hadn't found hair boards so I just did what I could. I did my transitioning by keeping my hair flat ironed so I wouldn't have to deal w/ the 2 textures. Luckily though my textures weren't too drastically different because relaxers never made my hair bone straight (never knew why) my relaxed hair still had a lot of curl to it so I could wear it curly too.