Sulfate vs Clarifying vs Chelating

blackindia07

I recently made a whipped butter that I :love:! If I could put a ring on it and change my screen name to Mrs Butter I would. :lachen::lachen::lachen:

But last night after washing my hair with my man on the side, KeraCare moisturizing detangling shampoo, (SLS free) my hair still felt greasy. I had to follow up with a clarifying shampoo.

Sssoooo....do I need to clarify every week to prevent build up or chelate or switch to a sulfate shampoo? And how often should I do it?

TIA

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
From what I've read, using any sulfate poo should remove the greasy feeling. There may be some SLS-Free or cleansing conditioners that can, but I am not sure which ones. You shouldn't have to clarify weekly, you may want to monthly depending on how your hair feels. Cheleting, from my understanding, is to remove hard deposits from hard water, chlorine, relaxer, as well as product buildup, oils.

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/10/shampoo-sls-for-clean-hair.html

Last edited:

Flawlis1

I think clarifying at least once a week is good so you dont end up with build up in your hair from products and environmental pollution. I use and like Neutrogena anti residue shampoo for clarifying my hair.

DominicanBrazilian82

I clarify every other poo (every 14-17 days). But I also prepoo with oil or a moisturizing substance (avg, conditioner, etc). I rinse my prepoo about 80% then use my ORS Creamy Aloe 1x and moisturizing shampoo 1x. If I wasn't applying different mixes to my scalp weekly, I wouldn't need to chelate by once monthly.

MsSanz92

It sounds like you need a good clarifying/chelating wash. I also use Keracare's Hydrating Detangling Shampoo Sulfate Free but I do clarify once every 4-6 weeks with a sulfate shampoo to make sure my hair is clean of all product. I recommend Nexxus Phyto Organically Kelate Chelating Shampoo or Suave's clarifying shampoo if you're looking for something inexpensive and works without drying out the hair.