Is Clarifying Still Necessary If I Shampoo Regularly?

Is Clarifying Still Necessary If Shampooing Regularly?

• Yes

Votes: 16 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DutchessNeilani

Rollerblades For Me & You
So I’ve been natural for just short of a decade. I’ve never once clarified and I’ve only gone to the salon a handful of times since I’ve been natural. I don’t know if hair salons normally clarify your hair so if they did clarify my hair, those were the only times I’ve ever had it done. I have always shampooed with sulfate shampoo regularly (every 2-3 days). When I shampoo, I shampoo from root to tip and I do it twice. I use about a 1/4 cup of shampoo per wash if I had to guesstimate. I shampoo my hair until it is squeaky clean. I use deep conditioners and hair serums with silicone afterwards. My area also has hard water although I haven’t noticed any changes in my hair. Do I still need to clarify and chelate or is my hair clean enough from regular sulfate shampoo washes? I know they say if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, but I am worried about eventually having breakage or some other issue from never clarifying or chelating in a hard water area.

Rastafarai

YES, absolutely. Surprisingly, sulfate shampoos superficially clean both the hair strand and scalp and can still leave residue unseen to the eyes, but is noticeable when hair appears limp or resistant to moisture treatments. This would be extremely important for those using hard water.

Equally as important is clarifying your scalp. Please see below discussion on this:

faithVA

Until last year, I thought no. Then I clarified last year and was like oh :ohsnap: .
Since you use silicones, I think you should give it a try.

Shampoo once with a clarifying shampoo and then follow with a moisturizing shampoo and then condition. And if it works for you, you only have to incorporate it every 2 to 3 months. But by then you will have some idea when you need it.

LushLox

I haven’t clarified for months and I did it recently, wow it was like a whole new head of hair. The conditioner just seem to work so much more effectively; detangling - effortless, air drying - effortless. I need to ensure that clarifying is a very very regular step in my regi from now on, it was just laziness that stopped me doing so before.