Summer Revolt!!!

charmtreese

My hair is really not feeling this dry air and hot weather, it's becoming a REAL task to keep it moisturized. Some of the things that I've tried so far are: daily co-washing, sealing with coconut oil, moisturizing twice a day, and spritzing with water/con mix.

What things are you doing to keep your hair happy this summer?

Things I'm trying this week:

1. Co-washing twice a week- daily co-washing left little styling option, however I will still do this from time to time if all else fails.
2. Using Jessiecurl too shea as a leave in. - I tried this tonight and so far so good!
3. Pulling out the good ol'baggie- Im going back to bagging my ends!
4. Sleeping with the humidifier- It's mega dry in this house, so this gotta help!

ajoyfuljoy

This week it's daily cowashing with phony pony. My hair lubs moisture and it can't get enough! I still have to DC every week when I do this, loL! and i still also have to do moisture one to two times a day. Dang my hair is thirsty!

This is the one hair rule i have to really obey. All my life when my hair broke off it was just dry, so moist I must keep it.

plastic

The only extra thing i will be doing is cowashing more often ... if i feel sweaty imma cowash .. if my hair needs moisture .. imma cowash ... cowash cowash cowash :rolleyes:

Tarae

I think I'm going to up my co-washing.
When it gets hot like this, daily co-washing/rinsing is necessary. Not just for moisture, but to just cool me off also.

I might moisturize twice per day also. At night doesn't seem to be cutting it.

PuffyBrown

I feel you on this one.
I am seriously contemplating getting some braids.
It is only June and we are already getting 95 degree daily weather. At least with the braids I can co-wash an additional day without having to worry about wrapping it smooth. I will probally go ahead and do it this weekend to see how it works out.

RegaLady

I need to up my co washing, also. I flat ironed my hair for DH's Bday, and it puffed out by the time I got out the door.:ohwell: I wore it again, today, and it looked bad.:wallbash: I wanted braids, but my money is going elsewhere.:rolleyes: Soooo, I will be co washing, moisturizing and wearing half wigs. They have been a life saver.:yep:

JustKiya

So far, I've added a nightly rinse to my hair cycle. I might add in a once a week baggying, on top of my twice a week DC's, as well. We'll have to see how the hair acts.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Moisturizing twice daily. A light mist of rose h2o, glycerine, and HE LTR leave in with coconut oil on the ends. Even after all of that my hair's still a little thirsty! :look: I'm going to DC, braid it up, then use braid spray and EO's on my scalp.

charmtreese

I was thinking about getting braids, but I hate the whole timely process of getting them and taking them out.

I would really like to try a half wig, but it would have to be after I relax...I don't think I could get this hair of mine to blend while stretching.

Does anyone change their moisturizer during the warmer months (i.e. use a cream moisturizer instead of a spray or visa versa?)

productjunkie814

Moisture, moisture, moisture. I co-wash daily, I drink tons more water, and I spritz my moisture mix throughout the day. I look like a fool pulling it out of my purse and spritzing, but my hair isn't complaining. Plus it smells good and keeps my face looking fresh as well, lol.

LivingDoll

I mist my hair in the evening with either water or a water based mositurizer like EQP H-Two, add a little leave-in (lately I've been using NTM Silk Touch) and seal with coconut oil. That's it.

charmtreese

Well, I made it through the night without my hair drying out. I'm happy to announce that this morning my hair was still pretty moist, well it ought to me after the long drawn out moisturizing session I had with it last night. :look: I slept with the humidifier on, so I think that may have helped also! So far Jessicurl too shea is working pretty good as a leave-in moisturizer!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Girl, deep condition!!! Deep conditioning twice a week has really helped with keeping my hair moisturized. My hair's so thirsty, I'm thinking up upping it to 3 x's a week!

I also co wash on the days that I don't dc. My hair can't get enough!

gymfreak336

Girl, deep condition!!! Deep conditioning twice a week has really helped with keeping my hair moisturized. My hair's so thirsty, I'm thinking up upping it to 3 x's a week!

I also co wash on the days that I don't dc. My hair can't get enough!

Cosign.

Personally I am still rinsing everyday. At night I massage coconut oil with some peppermint EO into my scalp or use Hairobics scalp oil. In the morning I shampoo out with just a touch of ovation shampoo, slap in conditioner, and either watch TV or work out for 30-45mins. I then rinse it out, massage the ovation cell therapy into my scalp, wet bun and call it a day. My hair has never been this moisturized. My protein moisture balance is on point right now.

When I want to rollerset. I will deep condition over night, rinse in the morning and set it on rollers. I am trying to air dry on the rollers for most of the time and finish it off under the dryer.

charmtreese

Cosign.

Personally I am still rinsing everyday. At night I massage coconut oil with some peppermint EO into my scalp or use Hairobics scalp oil. In the morning I shampoo out with just a touch of ovation shampoo, slap in conditioner, and either watch TV or work out for 30-45mins. I then rinse it out, massage the ovation cell therapy into my scalp, wet bun and call it a day. My hair has never been this moisturized. My protein moisture balance is on point right now.

When I want to rollerset. I will deep condition over night, rinse in the morning and set it on rollers. I am trying to air dry on the rollers for most of the time and finish it off under the dryer.

This is what I do on the weekends, DC overnight and rollerset in the morning! I liked the way my hair responded to daily rinsing but I did not like the way my buns turned out! :nono:

gymfreak336

This is what I do on the weekends, DC overnight and rollerset in the morning! I liked the way my hair responded to daily rinsing but I did not like the way my buns turned out! :nono:

I just get these crinkly crink waves. I like how nice my hair has been looking from my new regime when I rollerset but for some reason the daily washing is the only thing from keeping my scalp from itching. I itch all over but I am still investigating why.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Well I was on a ANTI protective styling challenge. I was sick of buns BUT the recent heat wave have sent me right back to buns to keep cool. I have decided that I would go back to co washing/air drying once a week and continue my weekly deep con on the weekend. So I am back to buns which will save my ends.

SunnyDelight

Last night I was feeling my hair and noticed that in the back - where I bun after a morning co-wash the hair was not only still moist but it was softer, much longer and more supple back there. . .

Which got me to thinking - how can I keep ALL my hair moist longer? Especially the front which is just slicked back:ohwell:

So last night I lightly sprayed my hair with s-curl (shush. . . I on the K.I.S.S. challenge) and put it in 3 bantu knots - just to see if the front would stay moist like the back does when I bun it.

Well guess what sistas? This morning when I took the knots down I had the most beautiful curls ever. They were soft, springy, beautiful and most of all - still moist.

charmtreese

I just get these crinkly crink waves. I like how nice my hair has been looking from my new regime when I rollerset but for some reason the daily washing is the only thing from keeping my scalp from itching. I itch all over but I am still investigating why.

Yeah, I get them same crinkly waves ! :grin:

locabouthair

I was about to start a thread like this. Cause my hair was SO dry yesterday from the near 100 degree weather. My hair is usually feels dry but yesterday it was crazy:nono:

And I'm mad that I see so many women in the street with their hair all nice and sleek and mine is a poofed up, dry, crinkly mess:wallbash:

And the fact that I'm textlaxed (not on purpose) isn't making this easier.

SmilingElephant

Well...being a Floridian...I'm always prepared for excrutiatingly painfully hot weather!! LOL!

But I've started co-washing twice a week now and continuing to DC every weekend.

My hair loves EVOO/EVCO mixed together and my ends thrive off of this after moisturizing....I also moisturize while airdrying...this helps too!!

HHG!

naturalgurl

My hair is really not feeling this dry air and hot weather, it's becoming a REAL task to keep it moisturized. Some of the things that I've tried so far are: daily co-washing, sealing with coconut oil, moisturizing twice a day, and spritzing with water/con mix.

What things are you doing to keep your hair happy this summer?

Things I'm trying this week:

1. Co-washing twice a week- daily co-washing left little styling option, however I will still do this from time to time if all else fails.
2. Using Jessiecurl too shea as a leave in. - I tried this tonight and so far so good!
3. Pulling out the good ol'baggie- Im going back to bagging my ends!
4. Sleeping with the humidifier- It's mega dry in this house, so this gotta help!

This is what I do except I use aloe vera gel/orange blossom water/ glycerin mix to spray on my hair. Seems to be keeping these tresses happy!

chebaby

my hair has been itching like crazy lately and i dont know why. my hair never itches but for the last two weeks its been itching non stop. maybe if i up my co washing it wont be a problem.

PuffyBrown

I was thinking about getting braids, but I hate the whole timely process of getting them and taking them out.

I would really like to try a half wig, but it would have to be after I relax...I don't think I could get this hair of mine to blend while stretching.

Does anyone change their moisturizer during the warmer months (i.e. use a cream moisturizer instead of a spray or visa versa?)

Thatz what I am dreading. I will just use the time to try a growth concoction. I bought boundless tresses several months ago and have only used it once or twice. I ususally wear my hair straight and then put it up in a pony. I flat iron 1x per week but since it is so hot. I don't want to flat iron during the summer because I think that this is just too much heat on my head...scarry...

gymfreak336

my hair has been itching like crazy lately and i dont know why. my hair never itches but for the last two weeks its been itching non stop. maybe if i up my co washing it wont be a problem.

I hope it gets better. I understand how fustrating having itchy scalp issues can be. See if the cowashing helps.

charmtreese

I'm co-washing today for the 2nd time this week (thank god instant moisture)!!! Once a week co-washing is not going to cut it this summer:lachen:!!!

For those that are protective styling by wearing half-wigs...ain't it hot under there! I saw this cute little wig the other day, I tried it on and was about to purchase, but while styling and playing with it at the store I started getting HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :look: