switched to lye relaxer

keschian

I recently switched from no-lye to lye and now my hair is deathly thin but with the no-lye I was experiencing some dryness. Did I just ruin my hair and can I salvage any fullness

pebbles

Hi keschian,

I'm assuming that you applied the lye relaxer to the length of your hair? Doing so can significantly thin out your hair depending on how long the relaxer was allowed to remain in your hair. If so, you will need to do some protein treatments regularly every 4-6 weeks. Protein can bond to the hair shaft to fill in areas of your hair that's been damaged or weakened, but your hair won't be fully restored to the way it was before. It will take some time for you to bounce back from this but don't despair. As your hair starts to grow out and with occasional trims, your hair can return to it's former condition.

keschian

Thanks, I really didn't know what my options were. I was about to just cut it all off and start over.

The protein treatment I am familiar with is the Aphogee Treatment. What other treatments are out there that won't dry my hair out. They say to use the Keratin reconstructor after Aphogee but I found that it didn't condition my hair, can I skip that and use my own conditioner. Also I used the carrot hair mayonaise and it makes my hair extremely soft am I over processing.

PrettyBrownEyes

I thought you were supposed to follow the Aphogee Treatment with their Balancing Moisturizer, not the Keratin reconstructor, you can use the Keratin Reconstructor to condtion on an occasion when you are not using the 6-wk Treatment.

keschian

Maybe I got the name wrong. But the one you are supposed to use after the treatment it the one that I find doesn't condition my hair very well. it is still tangled.

PrettyBrownEyes

O.K., I do not use the 6-week treatment because of the description of how hard it makes your hair while it is on your hair and I am just not comfortable with that but, if you are looking for some good Moisturizing conditioners outside of Aphogees to use following the treatment, you may want to try: Motions MoisturePlus or Nexxus Humectress or Queen Helene Cholesterol, these are some of my favorites in that order.

P.S. You could do a search on the board about good conditioners.

Hope this helps.

pebbles

Hey Keschian,

There are a lot of great protein conditioners/reconstructors out there that can do a great job for you. I love Aphogee because it's great for extreme breakage, but I don't use it very often. I only use it if my hair is really in trouble, ex: a lot of breakage. The recommended moisturizer after the Aphogee treatment is the Aphogee Balencing Moisturizer.
For regular maintenance I use Nexxus Keraphix, Affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor, Dudley's Hair Rebuilder, or Motions Moisture silk protein conditioner. Nexxus Emergencee is really good too. There are some other really good ones, but these are the ones I use.

What you want to do after any protein or reconstructor treatment is to do a deep moisturizing conditioner after wards. Protein is excellent for the hair, but it can dry out your hair, so you should always moisturize afterwards. You can use Nexxus Humectress, Mizani Moisturfuse, Keracare Humecto, just to name a few. Choose a moisturizing conditioner that you like. Apply it to your hair and sit under a heat cap or dryer for 10-20 minutes for maximum results. Hope that helps.