Switching Relaxers - No Lye to Lye?!?

texasqt

Is it possible to do this without losing hair?

I am 11 weeks post relaxer and my hair has been braided for the past 6 weeks. I plan to keep it 2 more weeks and relax sometime after I get them out. I've been using a no-lye relaxer for years that I love but I've been experiencing some shedding (before braids) that may be contributed to my use of a no-lye relaxer. Plus, I've read that a lye relaxer is actually better. Is it possible to switch to a lye relaxer without cutting off my old relaxer? and how likely is it that my hair just might break out from the switch? Has anyone done the before? If so, what steps should I take to reduce any damage? Thanks in advance!

Sosoothing

texasqt said:
Is it possible to do this without losing hair?

I am 11 weeks post relaxer and my hair has been braided for the past 6 weeks. I plan to keep it 2 more weeks and relax sometime after I get them out. I've been using a no-lye relaxer for years that I love but I've been experiencing some shedding (before braids) that may be contributed to my use of a no-lye relaxer. Plus, I've read that a lye relaxer is actually better. Is it possible to switch to a lye relaxer without cutting off my old relaxer? and how likely is it that my hair just might break out from the switch? Has anyone done the before? If so, what steps should I take to reduce any damage? Thanks in advance!

Yes it can be done safely. I have done it before. Just make sure not to overlapp. Basically just take care of your hair the same way you would if you werent switching relaxers.

I dont think either No-lye or Lye relaxer is necessarily better. It all depends on an individuals hair. I have used both and still alternate (due to my own issues:lol:) after some months and it doesnt look like Im having any adverse effects from it. But Im not trying to recommend going back and forth between the two. Just showing you that it can be done:) .

Last edited:

Softresses

I switched to Lye after having used no lye for quite some time. I like the lye relaxer better. It is easier on my hair, however it can be harsher on the scalp than no lye. If you switch just make sure you protect your scalp every time.

HTH
Softresses

Divine Inspiration

It's definitely possible to switch without losing too much hair or cutting the old hair. I switched about 2 years ago, and my hair has really improved. Within the first 6 months, I noticed that my hair had thickened tremendously, and the breakage stopped. I think the likelihood of breakage from the switch depends on how well you're taking care of your hair during the switch and the chemistry of the products you're using. As always, moisture is necessary, and I've found that my hair retains moisture better with lye as opposed to no-lye. I would prepare for the relaxer like usual...base your scalp really well, don't overlap, and be sure to take good care of it following the process.

HTH

{DI}

MonaLisa

Divine Inspiration said:
It's definitely possible to switch without losing too much hair or cutting the old hair. I switched about 2 years ago, and my hair has really improved. Within the first 6 months, I noticed that my hair had thickened tremendously, and the breakage stopped. I think the likelihood of breakage from the switch depends on how well you're taking care of your hair during the switch and the chemistry of the products you're using. As always, moisture is necessary, and I've found that my hair retains moisture better with lye as opposed to no-lye. I would prepare for the relaxer like usual...base your scalp really well, don't overlap, and be sure to take good care of it following the process.

HTH

{DI}

Hmmmmmm....interesting to know...

Appreciating the timliness of this thread.... this is the very topic I've been having an internal debate about ...

*I will be watching for further responses...*:look:

MonaLisa

shunta said:
I switched a few months back from no-lye to lye, and my hair is doing just fine.:cool:

See....y'all ain't right...:lol:
I'm scared to cheat on Phyto....that's my baby...it's been kind to me.

My hair is healthy...that's not the issue...I'm just wondering if it could do even better than it is..by making the switch...:ohwell:

shunta

MonaLisa said:
See....y'all ain't right...:lol:
I'm scared to cheat on Phyto....that's my baby...it's been kind to me.

My hair is healthy...that's not the issue...I'm just wondering if it could do even better than it is..by making the switch...:ohwell:
Honestly, if your hair is fine, then stick with it, girl.:D Like they say, if it aint broke, then dont try to fix it!!:lol:

texasqt

Thanks ladies!
I feel much better after hearing from ya'll...now the next step is to research which one to use???? So many choices...

lonei

I did it and had negative effects ever since, just make sure you dont use motions, it badly underprocessed me and others and makes my hair mat together when wet, be aware that lye sometimes doesnt straighten as well as no-lye, which for me makes my hair much more prone to breakage.

MonaLisa

lonei said:
I did it and had negative effects ever since, just make sure you dont use motions, it badly underprocessed me and others and makes my hair mat together when wet, be aware that lye sometimes doesnt straighten as well as no-lye, which for me makes my hair much more prone to breakage.

Oh wow....sorry that happened to you lonei.:( Thanks for sharing that...
Hoping that everything goes better now.