Taking a big leap, from relaxed to dreds....

metalkitty

Hello everyone, I know its late but I'm excited/ nervous about my new decision to go down the route from being relaxed to having dredlocks :grin:! The reasoning behind it is not only have I always admired certain dred styles but I feel my hair just isn't ever going to be as healthy as I want it while its relaxed and colored...
I do still have a lot of questions regarding dredlock care though, so I thought the lovely ladies here could be much help in my transition. Basically, what I ultimately want are long, fat pen width, locs with colored tips. Also to have a bit of extra flare, I want to keep my bangs if possible. My first inquiry is that I need info on growing locs from braid extensions, more specifically silky dred extensions. I'm not ready to have short hair so I wondering how this process of developing dreds works. Ladies, please educate me :perplexed!

sareca

That is exciting! Congrats on your decision. :dance7:
I can't offer any advice, but I thought I'd celebrate with you anyway. :D

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Not only does Napp. website have info on dreds, but there is also pics of different dred styles. Hope all goes well!

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Good luck to you! I think you will find more information on dreds on nappturality.

When you say keep your bangs, do you mean having a few shorter locs in front?

Healthb4Length

Congrats on deciding to dred! I think there are alot of options for dreds. I think that you can start with natural hair and get dredlock extensions, once your hair grows to desired length then you should remove the extensions. I started a clients' dreds by doing 2 strand twists, once the hair was loced she decided that she wanted dred extensions. I applied them (they are'nt cheap) and she had instantly long dreds without the effort of growing it out. After she a few months she removed the extensions and went with her own natural dreds. She had nice length with no damage and everyone assumed that she cut her length, no one knew that even had dred extensions. WHile in extensions I would just retwist her roots every 6 weeks or whenever necessary, spray length of dreds with a moisturizing braid spray.

metalkitty

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words so far! Alli, do you know if its possible for me to get dred extensions/ silky dreds now, loc my newgrowth along the way, then when my hair's a comfortable length to chop off the relaxed part and wear my hair free? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm just learning alot.

Healthb4Length

metalkitty said:
Thanks for the encouragement and kind words so far! Alli, do you know if its possible for me to get dred extensions/ silky dreds now, loc my newgrowth along the way, then when my hair's a comfortable length to chop off the relaxed part and wear my hair free? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm just learning alot.

YES, I think it's possible. I've never done it that way to be honest. I can imagine some issues with it (silk extensions) becoming loose. BUt I supposed if hair is attached right then it shouldn't be a problem.

beyondcute

metalkitty said:
Hello everyone, I know its late but I'm excited/ nervous about my new decision to go down the route from being relaxed to having dredlocks :grin:! The reasoning behind it is not only have I always admired certain dred styles but I feel my hair just isn't ever going to be as healthy as I want it while its relaxed and colored...
I do still have a lot of questions regarding dredlock care though, so I thought the lovely ladies here could be much help in my transition. Basically, what I ultimately want are long, fat pen width, locs with colored tips. Also to have a bit of extra flare, I want to keep my bangs if possible. My first inquiry is that I need info on growing locs from braid extensions, more specifically silky dred extensions. I'm not ready to have short hair so I wondering how this process of developing dreds works. Ladies, please educate me :perplexed!

Okay I really think a trip to the loctician would get ou off in the right direction. Napp.com deos have alot of info but the person who is going to do them for you will know more. With the extentions they add them to your hair and youll have instant dreds. Kinda like adding weave for instant length except these last for a long time (months up to a year). Silky dredds (wrapped dreds I believe) would look way different from your normal hair and when you hair starts to grow out it will be noticeable. Dred extentions are VERY expensive. As your hair grows you will teist your hair (new growth) into dreds and they will already be trained to go a certian way and a certian size by the extentions. Done correctly they will blend in with your hair. (Ex color, texture, thickness, etc)

But the thing that stands out is the thought that you would have to cut your hair to get dreds... Thats not entirely true. IF white people can get dreds without cutting Im lead to strongly believe you can dred up your relaxed hair... My boyfriedns mother has dreds and she started out with relaxed hair. She never cut her hair either.

GOOD LUCK!!! Im sure they will look AWESOME!

metalkitty

Sorry I overlooked your question JCoily, I mean regular bangs and a little hair framing the face... It sounds weird but I've seen it on some people and it looks really pretty to me and I can't picture myself without bangs.
Thanks for the info BeyondCute, you do bring up good points about caucasian people being able to dred so I think I'll call around tomorrow to find a loctician which'll be tricky since in Seattle we don't have many choices of hair salons... But thanks everyone for the praises and reccomendations.

qtgirl

Does anyone else have any info. on starting dreds from relaxed hair, but not through dred extensions?