taking hair vitamins with a mulitivitamin safe??

superstar_em

hey ladies,

i'm pretty new to LHCF but i'm def starting on my hair journey. i'm interested in taking the gnc ultra nourish hair vitamins but i also want to take a daily multivitamin such as centrum at the same time. is it safe to take a full dosage of hair vitamins (usually 3 daily) along and a daily multivitamin?

ajoyfuljoy

Welcome to the forum!

I think you might want to check the back of the bottles. You probably shouldn't overlap the two if one of them is giving you 100% of your daily requirement---it would be like throwing money down the drain and your body would just eliminate what it didn't use.

Why not alternate them, that way it's like the best of both worlds.

taj

Anytime I take any supplements, I always consult with my physician first.:yep: There maybe adverse affects that I'm unaware of so its always good to be on the safe side.

Avaya

I think the main thing you would have to be concerned with is getting too much vitamin A. Usually a hair vitamin will have like 10,000-15,000 IU of Vitamin A and a multi could have anywhere from 5,000-15,000 IU. You never want to go over 25,000 IU. Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin so mega doses can be toxic. One side effect is hair LOSS! I'd pick one or the other if I was you.

Gracie

ITA with PrincessAvaya-Some vitamins in high doses can cause nerve damage, are toxic and will have other unwanted effects such as hair loss, liver damage, irregular cell development and a breakdown of red blood cells . Water soluble vitamins are eliminated whereas fat soluble vitamins are stored in fat and any extra is stored in the liver.

Last edited:

hot_pepper96

I think the hair vitamin should serve as a sort of multi-vitamin too. Most hair vitamins have most of the things you need anyway plus some extra benefits for hair & nails. I would skip the multi if you want to use the hair vitamin.