Taking out cornrows

NYDee

To minimize breakage, is it better to take it out wet or dry? I have had the cornrow for 4 weeks, cowashed and deep condition it in between. It's a ragged cornrow I did myself to wear under my wig so I'm worried of tangles.

Luvmycurl

I would say take out the cornrows when dry. I never tried taking out braids when my hair was wet so thats the only way I know of. Hopefully other ladies will comment who have done it both ways.

Nonie

I say take out dry and use your fingers, not a comb. If you must use a comb, watch yourself undo them in the mirror. (I find fingers can feel and detangle as you undo more gently/carefully than a comb. Even very small braids, I'd undo with fingers).

If you wet your cornrows and try to undo them wet, the shed hair will tangle up with your hair and you'll have mats like crazy.

Bun Mistress

I would do dry. What I have done in the past is to wash my hair (dc or otherwise) a day or two in advance and take down my hair when fully dry. When I'm ready to wash my loose hair I would have fully finger detanlged (maybe used the detangler comb it depends) DC on dry hair and then detangle with a shower comb on wet hair. I have not had a tangling problem doing this and if you want to wear your hair in a bun or otherwise for a few days you can.

bride91501

I also keep my cornrows in for 4 weeks at a time, and regularly co-wash and DC with them in.

My hair is not prone to matting (I wouldn't have this reggie if it was), but just to be safe, I'd suggest you remove the cornrows on dry hair. I think it'll be easier for you locate the matts or tangles when your hair is in a dry state. If you come across problem spots, I'd apply a slippery product of some kind and slowly de-tangle with your hands.

After I remove my cornrows, I do an overnight pre-poo using Chicoro's recipe (ACV, oil and EVCO) and finger detangle in the am before I shampoo.

HTH

NicWhite

I always undid my cornrows with my fingers. Dipping your fingers in oil (Ex: olive, coconut, jojoba) as you go along may help the process.

I take out my cornrows when hair is dry, using my fingers, not a comb. And I oil my hair before I get started. I'm a hot, oily mess at the ends, but the corn rows come out with ease.