Tangled Hair (roots)

Kimiche

I am transitioning and have been getting my hair braided with extensions for a little over a year. My natural hair is becoming more and more difficult to handle when it's time to get it braided. My texture is around 4C. I wash (detangle while washing), blow dry and either flat iron, hot bomb or use a hot brush to make my hair a little more manageable before I get it braided. All is well until the woman who braids my hair has to part my hair to put the braids in. The length is fine, but my roots get tangled no matter how much I detangle. Are there products that I could use to help the roots, or is there something else that I should be doing?

I'd like to continue getting my hair braided a few more times if possible and my roots being tangled slows my braider down while braiding. I feel bad and frustrated. Help! :sad:

Kimiche

@Kimiche
What conditioning products are you using after your wash? Tangled roots sound like they are not getting enough moisture.
The previous time that I got my hair braided, I used TGIN products. Shampoo and conditioner. I didn't think they worked out for me, so I used Design Essentials natural hair line shampoo and conditioner. All was fine in the shower and after I washed the products out. I applied light leave in (Aveeno Nourish), blow dried and used the hot brush. My hair felt nice until the next day when I was getting my hair done.

I even tried once to put heat on my hair the morning of my appointment so that my hair would not be difficult. It was the same tangled situation at the roots. :cry3:

Kimiche

I'm Transitioning and I had the same problem I found out that I need to blow dry my hair using the comb attachment to get to my roots. I do SMALL sections. I'm not sure if your doing that already... I do that the day before I get my hair braided.
Yes, I do use an attachment when I blow dry. Maybe I need smaller sections? What products are you using if you don't mind me asking, especially when you blow dry?

Evolving78

I am transitioning and have been getting my hair braided with extensions for a little over a year. My natural hair is becoming more and more difficult to handle when it's time to get it braided. My texture is around 4C. I wash (detangle while washing), blow dry and either flat iron, hot bomb or use a hot brush to make my hair a little more manageable before I get it braided. All is well until the woman who braids my hair has to part my hair to put the braids in. The length is fine, but my roots get tangled no matter how much I detangle. Are there products that I could use to help the roots, or is there something else that I should be doing?

I'd like to continue getting my hair braided a few more times if possible and my roots being tangled slows my braider down while braiding. I feel bad and frustrated. Help! :sad:
My hair was ripped and broken off because of that... I would just stop letting someone braid my hair and learn how to do it on my own.

Lute

I've been thinking about getting the Hot brush. How do you like it. I'm a 4b/c and I was thinking about getting it to keep my hair stretched.

Kimiche

You should lightly press your roots with a hot comb instead of flat ironing.
Thanks! I will try that and see how it works out for me next time. I will focus on the roots with the electric hot comb that I have. :yep:

I've been thinking about getting the Hot brush. How do you like it. I'm a 4b/c and I was thinking about getting it to keep my hair stretched.
I really liked the results. My hair was not bone straight of course, but it was nice and manageable. I could put it in a ponytail and go afterwards. :yep:

Missjaxon

The previous time that I got my hair braided, I used TGIN products. Shampoo and conditioner. I didn't think they worked out for me, so I used Design Essentials natural hair line shampoo and conditioner. All was fine in the shower and after I washed the products out. I applied light leave in (Aveeno Nourish), blow dried and used the hot brush. My hair felt nice until the next day when I was getting my hair done.

I even tried once to put heat on my hair the morning of my appointment so that my hair would not be difficult. It was the same tangled situation at the roots. :cry3:
@Kimiche
When you say conditioner are you referring to a rinse out conditioner? If so, I would suggest an actual deep conditioning session with a balancing deep conditioner or mask. I also suggest a light heat protectant since you are using heat. I think your process should be the same as if you were flat ironing to wear your hair straight. Since you are transitioning it may be necessary to use different products on your new growth. Your natural hair may not like the same products as your relaxed hair. When I prep for braids I do a protein treatment followed by a moisturizing deep conditioner. I also use a light moisturizer. But since you're flat ironing a good heat protectant should work.

Kimiche

@Kimiche
When you say conditioner are you referring to a rinse out conditioner? If so, I would suggest an actual deep conditioning session with a balancing deep conditioner or mask. I also suggest a light heat protectant since you are using heat. I think your process should be the same as if you were flat ironing to wear your hair straight. Since you are transitioning it may be necessary to use different products on your new growth. Your natural hair may not like the same products as your relaxed hair. When I prep for braids I do a protein treatment followed by a moisturizing deep conditioner. I also use a light moisturizer. But since you're flat ironing a good heat protectant should work.
I used a rinse out conditioner this time around. It seems like I cannot find the right moisturizing deep conditioner. TGIN mask didn't do much for me the last time I deep condioned with it. My hair rejects a lot it seems. Can you please recommend a deep condioner that works for you, also the heat protectant? Thank you!

Missjaxon

@Kimiche
My first question is did you clarify/chelate before using the TGIN mask? It is important to have a clean slate when trying something new. I like Joico Moisture Recovery Balm and Silicon Mix. I haven't used heat in several years though. I used a lot of different products but the only ones I can remember off the top of my head is Silk elements the Olive oil version, Tresemme heat protectant and It's a 10 leave in. I am a product junkie and have a little bit of everything that interest me so I'm making an effort to not overwhelm you. It may also help to use the search function using keywords like flatironing and deep conditioner for some other options.

Pygmy_puff

@Kimiche

I second this, but I would like to add that you should consider eliminating the leave-in in favor of a heat protectant like a silicone based serum. I had similar issues when I first started heat stretching my hair- I used a leave in conditioner before blow drying and flat ironing and it always made my strands kind of stick together and tangle worse. T the

trueimage.

I pre poo with a conditioner to detangle
My hair before I shampoo. I shampoo my hair with the Shea moisture JBCO shampoo and I deep condition with the Mielle Organics babassu oil DC. I don't use a rinse out conditioner. I let my hair air dry for maybe 10 min I don't like blow drying soaking wet hair. I then use the Karen's Body Beautiful leave in, I don't put any other product on my hair after that (well I oil my scalp) I don't use heat protectant because it makes my hair feel dry... I don't need it anyways because I use the COOL setting yes it takes longer but it's safer . . I don't flat iron either. After I'm done I just Twist my hair to keep it stretch and the next day I go to my appointment with nice stretched hair that's easy to part. My stylist is vey gentle.

Kimiche

@Kimiche
My first question is did you clarify/chelate before using the TGIN mask? It is important to have a clean slate when trying something new. I like Joico Moisture Recovery Balm and Silicon Mix. I haven't used heat in several years though. I used a lot of different products but the only ones I can remember off the top of my head is Silk elements the Olive oil version, Tresemme heat protectant and It's a 10 leave in. I am a product junkie and have a little bit of everything that interest me so I'm making an effort to not overwhelm you. It may also help to use the search function using keywords like flatironing and deep conditioner for some other options.
:sad: No I did not clarify. I might try to incorporate that in my process next time. I have a Joico clarifying shampooo that I haven't used since I was relaxed. No you are not overwhelming me at all. I really appreciate you taking the time to make suggestions. :yep:

I second this, but I would like to add that you should consider eliminating the leave-in in favor of a heat protectant like a silicone based serum. I had similar issues when I first started heat stretching my hair- I used a leave in conditioner before blow drying and flat ironing and it always made my strands kind of stick together and tangle worse. T the
Yes! Leave-in conditioners usually leave my hair feeling crunchy, especially the next day for some reason. That is why I just put in a small amount this time around. What silicon based serum do you use? I thought about using Chi Silk Infusion, but I used that when I was relaxed. I was not sure that it would work the same for me.

I pre poo with a conditioner to detangle
My hair before I shampoo. I shampoo my hair with the Shea moisture JBCO shampoo and I deep condition with the Mielle Organics babassu oil DC. I don't use a rinse out conditioner. I let my hair air dry for maybe 10 min I don't like blow drying soaking wet hair. I then use the Karen's Body Beautiful leave in, I don't put any other product on my hair after that (well I oil my scalp) I don't use heat protectant because it makes my hair feel dry... I don't need it anyways because I use the COOL setting yes it takes longer but it's safer . . I don't flat iron either. After I'm done I just Twist my hair to keep it stretch and the next day I go to my appointment with nice stretched hair that's easy to part. My stylist is vey gentle.

I have some Mielle Organics deep conditioner in my stash. I might have to clarify before I try it again next time. I will also see about twisting my hair instead of using the flat iron, because it seems like my hair still gets tangled even when I use one. :yep:

LiftedUp

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but glycerin . I am currently stretching , something I haven't done in years, and had to go back to my old school products. I currently massage glycerin through my roots, as much as I need, then gently detangle. Other options are to mix it in a spray bottle with distilled water and spray your roots, or to use a product like s-curl and apply to your roots.

Kimiche

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but glycerin . I am currently stretching , something I haven't done in years, and had to go back to my old school products. I currently massage glycerin through my roots, as much as I need, then gently detangle. Other options are to mix it in a spray bottle with distilled water and spray your roots, or to use a product like s-curl and apply to your roots.
Thank you! I might try this as well, because when the woman who braids my hair sprayed water on the roots, things got a little better for her. I might try my Mielle Organics leave-in and see how that works. I only use it when my hair is in braids, so maybe things might work out in that case as well. :yep:

beauti

Kinky curly knot today is a must have for detangling. I use it in the shower, applied in sections from root to tip. Comb glides right through. it's also an excellent leave-in.

Joico moisture recovery balm is a wonderful deep conditioner. hth

Kimiche

Kinky curly knot today is a must have for detangling. I use it in the shower, applied in sections from root to tip. Comb glides right through. it's also an excellent leave-in.

Joico moisture recovery balm is a wonderful deep conditioner. hth
Thank you! I forgot about Kinky Curly Knot Today. I may have to revisit that product, since I used it years ago when I was relaxed. I've also heard good things about Joico Moisture Recovery Balm. :yep: