Texture Question

jtotheb

I wear my hair pulled back in a puff 99% of the time, and I've noticed that the front of my hair (where I concentrate on smoothing it back) is a much looser texture than the rest of my hair. It's not just looser, but it's like it won't make a curl at all, not even on the ends. Most of my hair is 4b and i can coax it to curl on the ends, but this stuff in the front and on the sides just frizzes up.

Here's my question, could my hair be "trained" (that's the best word I can think of) not to curl because I brush it back so often? Has anyone else experienced this?

I do believe that hair can be 'trained' but I don't know if it's legitimate. Maybe one of the hair science members can shed some light.

PS I love your avatar pic! that puff is luscious!

that would make the most sense to me. if you pull your hair back and smooth it so that it's flat, it would eventually lose some curl. the front section of my hair is always always always straighter than the rest of my hair. and i put more effort into making the front look sleek and straight since that's the part that most people see.

I do believe that hair can be 'trained' but I don't know if it's legitimate. Maybe one of the hair science members can shed some light.

PS I love your avatar pic! that puff is luscious!

Thank you!

that would make the most sense to me. if you pull your hair back and smooth it so that it's flat, it would eventually lose some curl. the front section of my hair is always always always straighter than the rest of my hair. and i put more effort into making the front look sleek and straightsince that's the part that most people see.

That is exactly what i'm thinking. I spend a lot of effort trying to make the front and sides look decent that i've lost most of my curl. :ohwell:

As a nappy I find different textures all over my head. I don't puff very often but the front & nape of my hair is way less textured than my uber nappy sides. It all seems to be evening out as it grows :)

I think it's quite common for people to have a looser texture in the front precisely because that's the part that's been pulled and brushed the most. Yes, I'd say it's been "trained".

As a nappy I find different textures all over my head. I don't puff very often but the front & nape of my hair is way less textured than my uber nappy sides. It all seems to be evening out as it grows :)

Thanks for the reply. I have different textures too. My nape is a looser and silkier, but it still curls (just not as tightly). What I'm experiencing in the front is just weird. It's like my hair just exploded (if that makes sense). I hope you're right, and it does even out with time.

Sounds like mine. My front and sides are just cotton balls, no curls, no zig-zags, no definition whatsoever. No tangling, no knots at all there though, especially in the front. I wish the rest of my hair was like that. :grin:

I think it's quite common for people to have a looser texture in the front precisely because that's the part that's been pulled and brushed the most. Yes, I'd say it's been "trained".

I completely agree. All the manipulation and tight pulling is probably slowly eating away at that the cuticle layers.

The same thing happened to my hair and I've been extra careful about making my puffs much looser (especially because my edges were thinning at the temples as well). It hasn't completely fixed the problem but some of the hair has curled up more. Also, maybe some protein might help, just to reinforce the hair.

Yikes! Now that I can get into a ponytail I've been air drying in a ponytail all the time and I'm scared now. I always take it down once it's dry and to sleep, but when I go out and when it's wet its in a ponytail under my wig. I'm going to look a little closer at my hair tomorrow after my protein treatment.

I am a believer. The texture in the front where I pull it back is different now than when I didn't pull my hair back so much. Just feels thinner. :( --TQ

I think we have to be careful. Our hair remembers...Parts, how we manipulate it, etc.
So be careful. I don't pull my hair back much - So - I have better fullness....
I have found away around it...
I will edit to add pics.

Attachments

• hair dec 032.jpg
    hair dec 032.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 6
  • hair dec 031.jpg
    hair dec 031.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
My hair too.....

Since being natural for 2 1/2 years, that's what I mostly did with my hair. A puff. As a result, I have a really loose curl pattern in the front and the sides.

I don't know what to do about it, except that I will be twisting my hair up for the next six months.

I think we have to be careful. Our hair remembers...Parts, how we manipulate it, etc.
So be careful. I don't pull my hair back much - So - I have better fullness....
I have found away around it...
I will edit to add pics.

ITA with this. My hair now is able to center-part itself, and it's a STRAIGHT part too!

My front edges are straighter than I remember them being in prior years. I actually was in the mirror yesterday wondering why I didn't have more NG around my hairline; then I realized that I DID have NG, but it was just much less obvious than everywhere else.

ITA with this. My hair now is able to center-part itself, and it's a STRAIGHT part too!

Just wanted to co-sign on this. My mom always put my hair in pigtails when I was a kid. I've got a permanent center-part. :nono:

I wore headbands throughout my 7 month transition to natural and noticed that the curls in the front of my head were looser than any other part of my head. BUT I haven't touched a headband since I chopped about two weeks ago. The curl pattern of my natural hair is coming back strong.

When I was relaxed my hair would fall into two also, just because I would do everything in two sections. Flat ironing, deep conditioning, applying leave ins, everything. Even when it would be down, it would have a little split in the back in the centre

My hair too.....

Since being natural for 2 1/2 years, that's what I mostly did with my hair. A puff. As a result, I have a really loose curl pattern in the front and the sides.

I don't know what to do about it, except that I will be twisting my hair up for the next six months.

Yep, it's happened to me as well. I've stopped pulling my hair back so much while wet...

I'm going to stop pulling my hair back as much (especially when it's wet) too. I might twist it. My hair isn't that long and does not have much of a shape so wearing it out feels odd to me. Any style suggestions?

My hair has always been looser in the front regardless of my pullbackish while wet habits. It was my understanding that people tend to have a looser pattern in the front and back anyway, and the crown is where things go haywire. This is the case for me and has always been.

I rarely pull my hair back.

I'm going to stop pulling my hair back as much (especially when it's wet) too. I might twist it. My hair isn't that long and does not have much of a shape so wearing it out feels odd to me. Any style suggestions?

I wear twistouts and braidouts.

Back