TEXTURE VS STRETCHING OUT RELAXER

Nanyanika

Does anyone feel that hair texture determines how long you can strecth out relaxer touch-ups? I thought because i have texturized hair it would be extremely easy to space out touch-ups beyound 12 weeks without hair breaking at the demarcation line. I can only prevent this type of breakage 12 weeks post relaxer, if braid it all the time and take care in combing, i think this is due to my texture which is thick, coarse and tightly coiled and my texturized hair is considerably looser in terms of curl pattern. anyone have opinions on this?

blasianbeauty

I believe that any texture can last past 12 or so weeks; however, it is a lot easier for those that have a looser curl pattern (1-3's) than tighter curl pattern (4's). It also depends on how one handles their newgrowth during the stretching out process (and the hairstyles). If a type 4 is consistently trying to wear straight hair styles, then it would be a lot more challenging. But, I don't know, I'm 10 wks post myself and am wondering how I'm going to make it to Jan 1st. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Isis

My texture is a 4b and the longest I've stretched mine out was 16 weeks--a little too long but it worked. In the last few weeks, I agree it may depend on how the hair is worn. I braid my own hair and pin it up during the last few weeks.

Nanyanika

That's the trouble with my 4a hair, the curls are very tight, i'm going to keep with the braids. if i have any problems with new growth after removing braids, i'll opt to blow my roots out on cool setting with my ionic drier, enough to enable a wide tooth comb to get through my hair. Thanks ladies.

dreemssold

IMHO, its clear that a 2b would be able to stretch far longer than I would (4b) with no breakage. I don't even think it's debatable. That said, I think a type 4 can stretch longer than they might expect by wearing braids or having their roots blown out. The latter has proven a lifesaver for me /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
I can go for a long time. I just texturized after 28 weeks. I can probably go for over a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great, i wish i could do the same.

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
IMHO, its clear that a 2b would be able to stretch far longer than I would (4b) with no breakage. I don't even think it's debatable. That said, I think a type 4 can stretch longer than they might expect by wearing braids or having their roots blown out. The latter has proven a lifesaver for me /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA!!!

Tracy

I think it's more individual than people care to acknowledge....

I am texturized....with a very soft, fine "texture", and a relatively loose curl pattern. My new growth comes in as waves - not curls of any kind. I get curls with length....

I can't stretch my relaxer past about 9 or 10 weeks without an appreciable amount of breakage. I can go 12 if I MUST, but I try not to. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

I think alot more goes into it than hair type. Your hair's propesntity for breakage, whether it's fine or dense, strong or weak, longer or shorter all matters far more IMO than hair type.

skegeesmb

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's more individual than people care to acknowledge....

I am texturized....with a very soft, fine "texture", and a relatively loose curl pattern. My new growth comes in as waves - not curls of any kind. I get curls with length....

I can't stretch my relaxer past about 9 or 10 weeks without an appreciable amount of breakage. I can go 12 if I MUST, but I try not to. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

I think alot more goes into it than hair type. Your hair's propesntity for breakage, whether it's fine or dense, strong or weak, longer or shorter all matters far more IMO than hair type.

[/ QUOTE ]

You definately have a point Tracy. I have some very strong hair, very coarse and wiry in a lot of places. It can take a good pulling. So I can go a very long time with minimal breakage. I will have breakage because it's inevitable, but it's not a crisis amount of breakage.

Chichi

I can go for a while. I am 2c with mildly relaxed hair. Just reached 8 weeks post and I'm like, "what?" Can't believe that I will be getting another relaxer in four weeks (doesn't feel like it). I usually go for 12 weeks.

Chichi /images/graemlins/bdance.gif