Texture Type: Silky, Cottony, Wiry, Etc

PlanetCybertron

Looks very fine textured. Just by looking at it, I can safely say it’s probably extremely soft much like mine. Kind of soft like very fine cotton, and silky feeling if moisturized well.

I’d say give it a bit so you can see more growth, simply because your texture may have a different feel and look as your hair gets longer.

Looks very fine textured. Just by looking at it, I can safely say it’s probably extremely soft much like mine. Kind of soft like very fine cotton, and silky feeling if moisturized well.

I’d say give it a bit so you can see more growth, simply because your texture may have a different feel and look as your hair gets longer.

Can you send me a photo of your hair to compare the texture with mines?

From what I can tell your texture looks to be either thready or silky low to med density fine textured 4a

Why do you think my hair is silky or thready? I am just curious about your reasoning, as it can help me during my hair growth journey. Also, how do you expect my curls to look as they get longer - coily or just super tight curls? Thanks for your help!

VictoriousBrownFlower

Why do you think my hair is silky or thready? I am just curious about your reasoning, as it can help me during my hair growth journey. Also, how do you expect my curls to look as they get longer - coily or just super tight curls? Thanks for your help!
I think it's either silky or thready because it has shine as appose to sheen. It also looks quite defined on its own which is more of a thready quality. I think your coils and hair in general will be similar to a poster on here named sharpened. U can find her in the fall/winter wash and go thread

I think it's either silky or thready because it has shine as appose to sheen. It also looks quite defined on its own which is more of a thready quality. I think your coils and hair in general will be similar to a poster on here named sharpened. U can find her in the fall/winter wash and go thread

I am new on this forum and really don't know how to properly use it. Can you forward me her account for me to access? I would greatly appreciate it.

I am new on this forum and really don't know how to properly use it. Can you forward me her account for me to access? I would greatly appreciate it.

And just for more information, the first five photos are of my hair with no products and the last four photos are with products. Just in case that may help change your perspective of my hair texture.

VictoriousBrownFlower

And just for more information, the first five photos are of my hair with no products and the last four photos are with products. Just in case that may help change your perspective of my hair texture.
oh okay then your hair may be more sheeny and not shiny but it's a high sheen not a dull one which would change my description from thready to wiry for your hair. Does your hair have a hard time getting fully wet?

Yes, the link did work, thank you. Also, you said my hair has more shine than sheen, but I've contacted a few people before and was told that my hair has more sheen than shine. I do agree with you that my hair has more shine, but others think I have more sheen.
oh okay then your hair may be more sheeny and not shiny but it's a high sheen not a dull one which would change my description from thready to wiry for your hair. Does your hair have a hard time getting fully wet?

Yes, white drops sit on top of my hair before it gets fully wet. My hair is low porosity I believe. My hair does not seem wiry to me. I was thinking silky as you were.

Last edited:

VictoriousBrownFlower

Yes, white drops sit on top of my hair before it gets fully wet. My hair is low porosity I believe. My hair does not seem wiry to me. I was thinking silky as you were.
Wiry hair is low porosity hair that has a high sparkly sheen. Some hear wiry and think it feels wiry but it doesn't. It can have a soft silky appearance and feel but be wiry because of the other properties.

Wiry – has a sparkly sheen with low shine and low frizz. Water bounces or beads up on the hair strand. Hair never seems to get fully wet.
They seem to get easier "hang"...
I've read people say wiry hair straightens itself out as it dries...Like if you were to pull it back into a ponytail it may stay straight.
Naturals with Coarse and Wirey hair...
Kinkerbelle http://public.fotki.com/Kinkerbelle/2008/april---june/immediateshrinkage.html
clean hair

Wirey/thready hair
http://public.fotki.com/IsItOnlyHair/natural-hair--year-/2011/april-2011/aprils-here.html

You're most like the last. Wiry/ Thready because of it's properties of being more on the shiny side of sheen with more definition naturally. So you may just be a combo which is not abnormal.

Great thread for visual examples of hair textures (may be a bit confusing because there is a ton of info but worth the read)
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/vis...res-and-types-complete_topic326012_page1.html

Thank you. I already read the post and thread a while ago, so I had concluded that my hair was silky, but I guess it is wiry. Can you let me know more about my cuticle layer based on the photos, and more about my hair as it gets longer - do you think I can get an afro with my hair type and texture and density?

VictoriousBrownFlower

Thank you. I already read the post and thread a while ago, so I had concluded that my hair was silky, but I guess it is wiry. Can you let me know more about my cuticle layer based on the photos, and more about my hair as it gets longer - do you think I can get an afro with my hair type and texture and density?

I don't know much about cuticle layers and the science behind hair mostly just basic stuff so can't help you there. As far as when your hair gets longer that's part of the journey and no one can tell you that. As hard as it is you're just gonna have to be patient, take great care of your hair, and allow it to surprise you. They call it a journey for a reason. Every twist and turn brings a new discovery and it's really exciting once you get into it.

Don't worry though the curiosity does die down after a yr or two and it will make the wait not as much of a struggle. But I know and felt what you are going through personally and while exciting it sucks bcause time seems to drag on.

Can other people please let me know my hair texture. I always believe it is better to have more than one opinion, as everyone has different experiences.

So you don't want to wait and see? Like let it grow out some to really tell? How can type or texture be determined now?

Yes, I do want to wait until it grows longer. I never said I didn't want to let it grow, but in the meantime, your hair can still have a texture while it is short. About how many inches do you think I need to determine the texture/curl pattern?