Texturized gals: Help me figure this out...

I have 3c hair, natural. I'm thinking about texturizing, got a kit, the time says 8-10 mins for fine hair. I just want my hair barely loosened, so I do a strand test for 5 mins. I wash,condition and air dry this piece, it is pretty much how I want it. Problem is, I have a lot of hair, and by the time I finish my whole head, it will be more than five minutes. So what do I do?

Section it, then apply and neutralize one section at a time? Seems time consuming and I may overlap when rinsing.

Start from the crown and work my way out? If I do that and the crown gets too straight compared to the rest,it will look insane.

Start from the nape or front first? See above.

Add something (conditioner)to slow it down even further, then start wherever?

I don't know which way to go. :confused: Help!

What I used to do was first divide my hair into four sections. Then I would apply relaxer to one section, let it process, shampoo, and condition. Then I would start on the second section (apply relaxer, shampoo, conditioner, etc.). I did it that way so I wouldn't go over my time limit. I would wear 1-2 shower caps on the sections that I wasn't working on and I made sure to base my scalp too.

blue_flower said:
What I used to do was first divide my hair into four sections. Then I would apply relaxer to one section, let it process, shampoo, and condition. Then I would start on the second section (apply relaxer, shampoo, conditioner, etc.). I did it that way so I wouldn't go over my time limit. I would wear 1-2 shower caps on the sections that I wasn't working on and I made sure to base my scalp too.
That's what I was afraid I'd have to do.:eek: I have a call in to the manufacturer to see if I can temper it with conditioner to slow down the process time. Good idea with the shower caps.:D

Most ppl have someone else do half while they do the other half. I would practice w/conditioner in an effort to speed it up a bit. I thought it would take me along time to do my whole head as well but suprisingly it didn't I had time to wait and work. Make sure you rinse in the order you started to so that you have more even processing.

sengschick said:
Most ppl have someone else do half while they do the other half. I would practice w/conditioner in an effort to speed it up a bit. I thought it would take me along time to do my whole head as well but suprisingly it didn't I had time to wait and work. Make sure you rinse in the order you started to so that you have more even processing.
Did you smooth it out or put it on and let it do its own thing? The box says smooth, but I put it on my strand test w/o smoothing and it came out as I'd like. I don't trust anyone else to help me- had a "stylist" do one a few years ago, overprocessed it into straight hair. If it comes out wrong, I'd rather be the one to mess it up.

True, true. That's exactly what lead me to self-relaxing. I've only done it once, but I didn't do so poorly. What about a friend, sister, family member? My fiance helps do all things I can't do alone :) , & he errs on the side of caution unlike the know-it-all stylists. The other person would only be applying to cut application time, nothing more. It's up to you when it's rinsed and how it's worked.

I didn't work mine, but I needed to b/c I used a mild relaxer and it very mildly relaxed my new growth since I just let it 'work'. But if you hair is exactly as you like it and you didn't do it in the strand-test, I wouldn't change it up now. :nono: Maybe work it very little b/c you may have less relaxer on the hair since you are doing your whole head. But less is more if you like it now.

Back