Texturizers

L

legs71

Believe it or not I am growing very tired of braids. I desire to do something different with my hair, but I have very limited options because my natural hair is very, very nappy. Anyway, I'm considering having my hair texturized. Before joining this board I thought texturizers were just for people who cut their hair short and wanted the curly/natural look(see how ignorant I was about hair!!!).I figure if I texturize I can alternate between braids, the drawstring ponytail and a partial weave. This will also help with the trauma I go through combing out my hair after I wash it. Those of you familiar with texurizers whether through knowledge or personal experience please fill me in with the pros and cons. Also can anyone recommend a good brand texturizer? Thanks in advance!

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
<font color="red"> I use Revlon Realistic lye relaxer to texturize. I am primarily 4A, with some 3B.

The following has been MY experience.

</font>
Pros (for texturized hair that is still fairly curly):
- Less shrinkage than natural hair
- Can wear curly w/o needing braid-outs/twist-outs to manipulate the hair
- Can straighten fairly easily with blow dryer, or roller set
- Can wear twists w/o unraveling of the ends
- More elasticity than hair that has been relaxed straighter
- For me, my braid-outs and twist-outs look better after texturizing than they did when I was natural
- You can go longer without a retouch than hair that has been straightened more

Cons:
- It is very important to avoid overlapping to decrease the chances of over straightening of the curl pattern
- Must KNOW your hair and how it will respond to various application times and relaxer strengths
- 4B hair may not respond in the same manner as 4A or 3-range hair

londongirl3

[ QUOTE ]
4B hair may not respond in the same manner as 4A or 3-range hair

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity does 4b hair which has been texturized have round curls of zig zag curls?

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4B hair may not respond in the same manner as 4A or 3-range hair

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity does 4b hair which has been texturized have round curls of zig zag curls?

[/ QUOTE ]

All of my hair is tightly curled spirals and I'm merely stretching the curls out, so I don't have personal experience with 4B hair. However, I've heard some people say that their 4B hair frizzed up, others have said that their hair got straight, and yet others say that they get softer waves. I think a strand test is definitely needed along with very careful timing using the correct relaxer strength.

londongirl3

I have 4a hair as well(looks like 4b when dry but it's not because the round curls form immediately the hair is moist or with curl activator).

I am curious(nosy, whatever lol) to know what natural 4b hair looks like when shrunk and what texturized 4b hair looks like.